Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Moose Jaw, SK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'd been planning to post that I'd guess that the 1000 kVA rated transformer was more likely to be Tesla requesting "future proofed" transformers. Since I was going by Woodstock, NB today and they happened to be installing the transformer at the time, I went over quite sure it too would be 1000 kVA. Knowing that this would prove how smart I must be I of course was going to take a picture to show you all...
Hmpfh, apparently not that smart, 500 kVA.
Now I'm wondering if some of the TC (including Moose Jaw) is indeed going to be V3.

My theory goes like this:

There will be two V3 charging cabinets on this 1000 kVA transformer. Each cabinet will serve three pedestals with an option to add a fourth in the future, bringing this site up to eight stalls. Each charging cabinet is 1000 kW (250 kW per stall), so the site will throttle based on the maximum output of the transformer. This would provide about 125 kW per vehicle for eight vehicles on average - some charging faster, some more slowly, depending on their states of charge. Even at full load, this is roughly double the power per pedestal, compared to a typical V2 site.

My theory goes like this:

There will be two V3 charging cabinets on this 1000 kVA transformer. Each cabinet will serve three pedestals with an option to add a fourth in the future, bringing this site up to eight stalls. Each charging cabinet is 1000 kW (250 kW per stall), so the site will throttle based on the maximum output of the transformer. This would provide about 125 kW per vehicle for eight vehicles on average - some charging faster, some more slowly, depending on their states of charge. Even at full load, this is roughly double the power per pedestal, compared to a typical V2 site.

Don't forget that V3 Superchargers are supposed to integrate battery storage, so you aren't limited by the transformer capability for peak power draw.

Don't forget that V3 Superchargers are supposed to integrate battery storage, so you aren't limited by the transformer capability for peak power draw.

Brilliant! I had forgotten about that. That could explain the different sized cement pads. There are two large ones with several conduits (chargers?) and two smaller ones with a couple of conduits (battery storage?). Plus, the rectangular pad for the switchgear equipment.

It’s going to be very interesting to see how this project comes together.

6F119DE2-6904-425D-A3C6-8D74A9CD7A0E.jpeg

Red: switchgear?
Green: batteries?
Blue: chargers?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: otter and ReddyLeaf
Here are some pics my wife forwarded from passing through today. I asked her for close-ups of any writing there may be. Looks like 2 cabinets for serving up to 4 dispensers each so I think @Big Earl is right about V3. DC bus suggests there is something else being DC-DC integrated at this site, maybe the energy storage option from the ‘green’ pads I didn’t get pics for. Wish I knew what’s written on them

0D8A1413-46A3-4BCD-9F5D-0D9B1D7B5328.jpeg
BDABA953-E69E-45E5-BB19-D32614C002F1.jpeg
483C9ED6-B2E3-4B3C-9746-63A8D1D3C6B0.jpeg
3A09DFB6-18AF-4CEE-9732-37D58028CD4D.jpeg

Here are some pics my wife forwarded from passing through today. I asked her for close-ups of any writing there may be. Looks like 2 cabinets for serving up to 4 dispensers each so I think @Big Earl is right about V3. DC bus suggests there is something else being DC-DC integrated at this site, maybe the energy storage option from the ‘green’ pads I didn’t get pics for. Wish I knew what’s written on them

View attachment 427172 View attachment 427173 View attachment 427174 View attachment 427176

Excellent pics. Please ask her to get pictures of the other two pads if she passes through this or one of the other TCH sites again.

I’m now certain this and the others like it are V3.

Reactions: Zoomit