Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Moraine, OH - (Service Center, limited hours)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to stop by this morning again to have a look and show the wife! Just super pumped to finally be getting one in our backyard practically.

Attachments

• 16988CCA-5124-4532-ACA0-EA30275E4CC3.jpeg
    16988CCA-5124-4532-ACA0-EA30275E4CC3.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 195
Um, Tesla is only allowed 3 stores in Ohio. That means they can only sell cars at the 3C locations. They do deliveries at service centers no? That's where I took delivery of mine.
Yes, their 3 "dealerships" are in Cinci, Columbus and Cleveland. Those are the only locations allowed to sell & deliver cars. They may also be service centers. There are no restrictions on service centers.

Ohio does not allow car manufacturers to operate dealerships. Years ago, Tesla got the state legislature to allow them a special exemption for 3 locations.

It's unusual these days for Tesla to put in a supercharger at the same site as a service center. It tended to create too much conflict between the service center needing to use it to charge customer vehicles and owners wanting to use it at the same time. That's my understanding of the one in Cinci at the service center. It used to be listed on the in car NAV back in 2016-2017 when I took delivery of my MS90D, but was later removed from the in-car NAV after the two other supercharger locations were opened (Marburg Ave and Dent). I believe similar situation now with the service center in Nashville, TN that may have also been pulled from the in-car NAV.

Maybe they are viewing this one differently if it will not be used to deliver customer vehicles, so less need for the Service Center to use it. Curious to see how this plays out.

Reactions: X Fan
It's unusual these days for Tesla to put in a supercharger at the same site as a service center. It tended to create too much conflict between the service center needing to use it to charge customer vehicles and owners wanting to use it at the same time. That's my understanding of the one in Cinci at the service center. It used to be listed on the in car NAV back in 2016-2017 when I took delivery of my MS90D, but was later removed from the in-car NAV after the two other supercharger locations were opened (Marburg Ave and Dent). I believe similar situation now with the service center in Nashville, TN that may have also been pulled from the in-car NAV.

Maybe they are viewing this one differently if it will not be used to deliver customer vehicles, so less need for the Service Center to use it. Curious to see how this plays out.
Kind of like how the delivery center in Columbus has all those Level 2 chargers out front, but they don't want people driving up and using them. They direct you to the SC in the Easton Mall.
I don't know why they have so many of them. Maybe when a load of new cars comes in? I heard they come in basically empty, so they would all need a charge of some amount to be able to have them ready for delivery.

Ohio does not allow car manufacturers to operate dealerships. Years ago, Tesla got the state legislature to allow them a special exemption for 3 locations.
That's a little backwards. Tesla had opened 3 stores in Ohio before the dealer associations tried to get the legislature to prohibit them. They compromised by not allowing Tesla to expand beyond the 3 stores.

It has been reported on Facebook with pictures that there will be 2 superchargers and 6 destination chargers. This leads me to think that Dayton and Beavercreek will be another supercharger station each by Q4 per Tesla's coming soon map.
When you say 2 superchargers, are you referring to just two charging stalls, or two V3 charging cabinets, each supporting 4 stalls?

If it's just 2 stalls, then that sounds like something being put in solely for the use of the service center and not something I'd expect to be a public supercharger location. I know the Indianapolis (Castleton, IN) service center has a supercharger, but it's not available for public use. I don't know exactly where on the site it's located, whether physically inside the shop or somewhere in the back that's not visible to the public. I only know from logs I capture that I've seen them supercharge my car when it was at the shop.

Before anyone gets too excited about Superchargers let me point out that the Service Center/Delivery Center on Merritt Island, FL has "two superchargers" (literally 2 cords coming off one box unlike what we see in normal locations) along with maybe 6 destinations chargers. All of which are for service/delivery. Hate to spoil the party. Just a thought.

Merritt Island FL does not show up when searching the "Find Us" Tesla Web page for SuperChargers. Dayton shows two new SuperCharger locations under the coming soon. So if not at the service center, they will be somewhere in Dayton. :)
I am sure that is true. Just wanted to point out to those hoping this was to be a Supercharger location that it's probably not so.

Merritt Island FL does not show up when searching the "Find Us" Tesla Web page for SuperChargers. Dayton shows two new SuperCharger locations under the coming soon. So if not at the service center, they will be somewhere in Dayton. :)
It's been a few months, but last time I was at the Merritt Island service center, they only had level 2 destination chargers. Certainly no Superchargers in the parking lot.

It's been a few months, but last time I was at the Merritt Island service center, they only had level 2 destination chargers. Certainly no Superchargers in the parking lot.
It is easily missed as it does not have the standard stanchions to which we are accustomed at a normal location. It is just one big box with two heavy duty cords attached (Note the photo in post #33; this thread. Remove the stanchions and leave the big box and that's what is at the service center). Just to the north of the destination chargers; the Merritt Island Causeway side.

It is easily missed as it does not have the standard stanchions to which we are accustomed at a normal location. It is just one big box with two heavy duty cords attached (Note the photo in post #33; this thread. Remove the stanchions and leave the big box and that's what is at the service center). Just to the north of the destination chargers; the Merritt Island Causeway side.
Okay cool. Glad to see they have some. I moved to Ohio last year, but used to live in Melbourne. It was so nice to finally get a service center nearby in Merritt Island. Seems like I've gotten lucky again with the new Dayton one coming on-line.

Anyways, here are some pics of the new Moraine site I took earlier today.

Attachments

• service1.jpg
    service1.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 96
  • service2.jpg
    service2.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 94
  • service3.jpg
    service3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 98
  • service4.jpg
    service4.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 90
Okay cool. Glad to see they have some. I moved to Ohio last year, but used to live in Melbourne. It was so nice to finally get a service center nearby in Merritt Island. Seems like I've gotten lucky again with the new Dayton one coming on-line.

Anyways, here are some pics of the new Moraine site I took earlier today.
Ha. I moved from Bowling Green (where nearest service center was Columbus-120 miles) to Merritt Island. Now I'm 5 miles from Service Center.
Sounds like you lucked out, too. Weather and vegetation seem a bit off in your pics. No sun and palms.;)