Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain Brook, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 1626695589355.png
    1626695589355.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 711
Great find. A bit of an odd choice for location. Is this for 280 traffic locals?
I was looking at the map. The location is about 5 miles (as the crow flies) from I-20, I-65, and I-459, however cars do not fly.

About 5 miles to I-459 along US 280 South
About 5 miles to I-20 along US 280 heading North
About 5 miles on a direct path to I-65 (but thru local roads). Could take US280 to US 31 North or South paralleling I-65 until they cross in about 15 miles... but I assume that route might not be faster

Would be interested in a local's traffic opinion

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
This location certainly is a head-scratcher. I-459/280 or I-459/I-65 would have made much more sense. Well at least its not paid parking. However, there are quite a few janky intersections in that area.
Who knows how they come up with the SC locations. If this will be the only other SC in Birmingham for awhile. I would think they would get better use further down I-459 closer to Hoover / Galleria area. They also still need to build-out the SC in the Tuscaloosa area, to help on the drive to Meridian or a round trip back to Birmingham.

I was just looking at different businesses in the area and Watkin's Branch Bourbon & Brasserie is a five minute walk from there and looks like it has a pretty interesting menu albeit expensive: Menu — Watkin's Branch Bourbon and Brasserie

Yeah 459/280 would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get. For me this location is a more useful than the Birmingham Supercharger.

I was just looking at different businesses in the area and Watkin's Branch Bourbon & Brasserie is a five minute walk from there and looks like it has a pretty interesting menu albeit expensive: Menu — Watkin's Branch Bourbon and Brasserie

Yeah 459/280 would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get. For me this location is a more useful than the Birmingham Supercharger.
Nice avatar / picture. You might appreciate this, here's a t-shirt I own.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.05.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.05.01 PM.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Pluto
Since I live in the general area, it's not a big deal to me either way, but I agree it makes more sense to have them along major routes to get the most through traffic benefits. I have wondered what is the process by which a location is selected. Seems like the one in Montgomery is well out of the way... Maybe I'm missing something. Does the business that hosts the installation have to initiate the discussion with Tesla?

The one in Montgomery makes a little more sense to me. It's not convenient to interstate 65, but it is very convenient to interstate 85, more so than the location in Auburn.

This new one in Mountain Brook is a bit of a detour from any of the major routes, except highway 280. Hopefully they are just planning on building several around Birmingham. I would expect that it in Huntsville are the biggest groups of Tesla's in Alabama.

Since I live in the general area, it's not a big deal to me either way, but I agree it makes more sense to have them along major routes to get the most through traffic benefits. I have wondered what is the process by which a location is selected. Seems like the one in Montgomery is well out of the way... Maybe I'm missing something. Does the business that hosts the installation have to initiate the discussion with Tesla?
Agreed, but it’s really not a bad location if you’re on 85 anyway. However, heading southbound on 85 from Taylor road can be a bit challenging. That ramp is like the 280 at rush hour :)

Agreed, but it’s really not a bad location if you’re on 85 anyway. However, heading southbound on 85 from Taylor road can be a bit challenging. That ramp is like the 280 at rush hour :)
That's what I was thinking. That intersection feels a bit intense to me. :)

I just think that (as others have expressed) that we need something in the Prattville area (possibly) or something on the I-65 corridor...

Reactions: HiHo&Tonto
As discussed on reddit and elsewhere on TMC, the State of Alabama recently announced 18 grants to bring EV charging stations in accordance with the long term state diesel-gate plan. Both linked below.

Gov. Ivey announces grants to install electric vehicle charging points in Alabama
Alabama EV Infrastructure Plan

Eleven of these locations are in what I call Metro B'ham. Although the number of chargers per station is lower than Tesla, this seems a great way to support both the local community and long distance thru travelers. By comparison, the one additional Tesla Supercharger in Mountain Brook looks oddly placed and a weak offering.

Thanks to @Dirtman16 who updated Plugshare, here is a screen capture with some additional context.

Plug Share B'ham.png

Just an aside on that Alabama ADECA announcement, thanks @Dirtman16 for adding all those to Plugshare! As the guy who does a lot of this for Georgia, I know it's a lot of drudgery and I appreciate you doing the behind the scenes work.

Don't hold your breath on these new ADECA-funded sites happening any time soon, like this year. These government-run efforts can take fooorrreevvveeeerrrr. For example, some North Carolina sites were announced like a full year ago and there's still nothing to show for them. I've heard they have like 18 months to complete, which is ludicrous when you compare to what Tesla is doing.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Hey, no problem. I actually kind of enjoy tracking the infrastructure, so it's not much of a chore. 😀

I do think end of 2022 is probably a realistic timeline for installation of those facilities. I'm curious to see how many different vendors and types of equipment get installed.

Reactions: ChrisC and Pluto