Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain Brook, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The orientation in which these pedestals are mounted is going to be awkward and frustrate just about everyone who uses it. The supercharger handle is mounted on the side toward the front of the car. This means that you will have to step to the far side (toward the rear of the car) of the pedestal to be able to grab the handle and plug it in. But then you can't go back to your car door because the cord is now in front of you. So you will have to walk around the back of the pedestal, against the car next to you to go around the pedestal & cord.

On the second visit, one will try to avoid the above, and grab the handle with their right hand, then realize that won't work because the handle will be oriented wrong in the hand to plug it in, then transfer it to the left hand, make an awkward transfer back into the right hand oriented the other way, then plug it in.

This will all be very comical to watch, but eternally awkward to use.
Lefties should be able to handle it.

The orientation in which these pedestals are mounted is going to be awkward and frustrate just about everyone who uses it. The supercharger handle is mounted on the side toward the front of the car. This means that you will have to step to the far side (toward the rear of the car) of the pedestal to be able to grab the handle and plug it in. But then you can't go back to your car door because the cord is now in front of you. So you will have to walk around the back of the pedestal, against the car next to you to go around the pedestal & cord.

On the second visit, one will try to avoid the above, and grab the handle with their right hand, then realize that won't work because the handle will be oriented wrong in the hand to plug it in, then transfer it to the left hand, make an awkward transfer back into the right hand oriented the other way, then plug it in.

Agree that these seem to be installed wrong. I expect drivers will often not pull in far enough and have to get back in, inch back and try again. I wonder how hard (or easy) it would be to flip the orientation 180 degrees?

I get what you're saying and I'd also prefer the pedestals be installed with the handle hanging towards the sidewalk. Personally I'd grab the handle with my right hand, step back with my left foot to face the sidewalk while loosely holding the handle so it can rotate in my hand, and plug in. It's not an intuitive movement but work best for this situation.

Looks like the Mountain Brook Superchargers are done with construction and ready to go. I even tried plugging in to see if they worked but it did not charge. Perhaps only final inspections and testing are standing in the way. Photo below from Saturday afternoon.

MBSC211030.jpeg

Next person here, please look for (and post a picture of) the utility transformer, a huge green box. Once that goes in, it's about a week.

Just stopped by and there is no transformer installed. That appears to be the last step for this one.

Attachments

• 20211110_142840.jpg
    20211110_142840.jpg
    829.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20211110_142853.jpg
    20211110_142853.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 79
I have charged at over 100 different SC’s the last six years, and this site must be my worst experience at a Tesla SC.

We were there Friday, February 10, 2023, at 2pm. The Publix parking lot was a circus. ICE cars were looking for grocery parking spaces that were not available and continued to circle the lot. All of the stalls were full, 3 Teslas waiting to charge; 2 SC stalls with ICE cars and not helping the situation. Backing into a stall is a challenge with this much traffic because it is two-way and should be one-way. How the City planners approved this plan is beyond my 40 years of experience dealing with site planning for developers. I can only imagine the fiasco on a Saturday morning!

Reactions: CO_MY and PStewart