Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: This post and the subsequent 4 replies were originally made in a new thread started by @puritan. They have been merged into the existing thread about the current Mountain View Supercharger since at this point no permit has been found for an additional Supercharger in Mountain View, and Tesla often adds grey pins to their map that turn out to be expansions of existing sites when a site already exists in that city.
————————————————————————————————————————

Hi!

In the latest Supercharger map released by Tesla. There seems to be plans in place for a charger on the corner of El Camino Real and Castro St thats popped up out of nowhere. Does anybody have details on the authenticity of this location?

upload_2018-6-1_21-47-0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nrazar
The coming soon pins do not reflect an exact location but only tell us the city/town it will be in.

The pin you reference is right on the “Mountain View” map location. From this we can expect either a second Mountain View location or more expansion of the current location.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
I'm curious where they can find even a parking lot with enough empty space?

Expansion of the current one makes a lot of sense to me. The queue of cars already blocks off most of the parking spaces down that north east side, so they may as well put in more chargers and reduce the queuing.

If there is a new location, my bet would be on the Target on Showers Dr. Although it's not as easy to get to from 101, it might be better to shift some of the local demand there.

Husband was up on the Peninsula running errands along 101 and need to charge at Mt. View. This was around noon. He pulled in with two spaces left and those were soon filled up by two other Teslas. So it can still be busy or full on the weekends. I should have remembered about the East Palo Alto Ikea location, he was heading towards Redwood City...and we haven't been to that location yet but it's not one we think of, not sure if he knows it was open. He was pretty low on charge but probably had enough to make it there. Next time!

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the slow charge rate at this Supercharger? I was the only car there Sunday at 6:30AM and got a max of 40 Kw at the first stall. I moved to another stall and it went up to 48KW. I was at 45% SOC when I plugged in.
Cold soak. It’s a thing.
If true, then you can drive your car an extra 8 blocks, and it would warm up a bit more, and then charge up faster, often at a net benefit in terms of time and energy used, however, it also increases the probability of mishap while attempting to achieve your net destination. One idea is to go to an errand that is a bit further away first then charge up immediately after driving there, or immediately upon regress back to the SuperCharger area (assuming one problem is that you live too close to the SuperCharger, since that's how it would be cold soaked in the first place). In busy traffic, of course, that is not a good idea, and you might as well just slow charge rather than deal with traffic. That Mountain View SuperCharger neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired, though, so you might try another local SuperCharger area that isn't as crummy. That offers its own suggestion: if there is a SuperCharger a bit further along your pathway (or you could change your pathway to make such a thing true), you can go there instead of the nearest one, allowing your battery to warm up in the process, and then you could charge up with a warmer battery, which is faster, and which would avoid the problem that you're doing unnecessary driving just to increase battery temperature, and you could have a superior layover in addition (win-win-win)! In very cold temperatures, though, this can be too dangerous for SuperChargers that are at a distance approximately at or below the realistic cold-driving range you have left over (and for most summer-bought Teslas, new owners have no idea that this is a tiny fraction of the range available during warmer times), because you might run out of battery on the way, then freeze to death, and let your family inherit a dead (bricked, physically destroyed) Tesla with no warranty nor insurance coverage to boot (lose-lose-lose-lose-lose; Black Swan event); be sure to do your calculations very well in super cold temperatures (if you have any doubt, take the extra time to charge up first and make all sorts of contingency plans that can minimize black swan events (in this discussion related to cold weather), and in any case, learn to do good calculations).

Side effect: if you get REALLY good at all this, you might enjoy a trip to the Sierras! (Hints: rain, snow, headwinds, and mountains, in addition to cold, also use hugely more energy, and you must be very good at mountain road driving and cold weather emergencies, or else, forget it. EV Trip Planner )

Last edited:
Someone in the 250 kW supercharger beta test group reported to the Model 3 Facebook group that they could charge at 140 kW here in Mountain View, although on the navigation screen it still says 120 kW. Being able to charge at >120 kW at V2 superchargers may be limited to 250 kW beta testers - please report if your charge rate is limited to 120 kW or if you can exceed that.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan