Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain View, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strangely enough, these new SC cables are thinner and more flexible than the HPWC cord! Very supple and maneuverable.

A couple of pics that I took:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't believe there is any reason to heat a charging cable (preheating a Lithium
ion battery cell to a safe charge temperature though, is useful)

My UMC cable turns brittle at about 5F. There are tons of charging cables that aren't engineered for severe cold. You find 18' J1772 cables that have only five usuable feet in Canadian Winters because they become to stiff to extend.

Edit: To be clear, I am only talking about warming cables so that they remain flexible, not to alter their conductivity.

Maybe they then get sprayed with high voltage coolant flow!

I wonder if there are coolant lines in the cable itself, or it simply cools the base and "wicks" the heat through the conductors?

See Watteredge Liquid Cooled Cable Data Sheet for one example. In that example, the fluid flows through the center of the cable. In the Supercharger Pedestal application, the fluid would have to flow out and back.

Are we going to have to find and disseminate "Cooling Air Vent Cleaning Instructions" (this is a hot topic among CHAdeMO-adapted Model S owners, and yes the pun was intended!)?

Rick

stupid question...with such a thin cable, couldn't someone easily *snip* the cable?
Thinner conductor = Less Copper = smaller potential payoff for the risk! THX Elon! ;)

Last edited:
Maybe they then get sprayed with high voltage coolant flow!

I wonder if there are coolant lines in the cable itself, or it simply cools the base and "wicks" the heat through the conductors?

The coolant goes through the cable itself. The connector housing is the same one used for the HPWC (per my discussion with one of the design engineers who was answering questions), so the cooling does not extend into it. Just to the end of the cable.

BTW, he had no idea how quickly the new cabling would be rolled out to other new or existing sites. Clearly they are watching how the set up performs quite closely. In fact there was a group of engineers with laptops hiding in the enclosure by the supercharger cabinets monitoring all the charging that was going on in real time.

Last edited:
That cable looks downright wimpy! The thick cable really projected the idea of a "Super" charger and all the current running through that monster* cable.

This thin cable? Bleh.. probably much easier to use, but makes the supercharges loose some of their "powerful" mystique.

* Awaiting obligatory Monster trademark lawsuit to arrive momentarily.

That cable looks downright wimpy! The thick cable really projected the idea of a "Super" charger and all the current running through that monster* cable.

This thin cable? Bleh.. probably much easier to use, but makes the supercharges loose some of their "powerful" mystique.

And, sadly, this is why some vehicles still have large grilles and have noise tubes and fake engine noise pumping through their stereos.

I thought it was great to hear about, and has the potential to improve several things:
- power loss on the cable
- maximum throughput on a cable
- Metal Charger Solid's plugging speed and accuracy.

Just got the announcement email. Just a fantastic location. I run over to the Museum a couple times a year and always manage to see something new. This will be a good excuse to go check it out occasionally.

Pretty stealthy install. I didn't even know one was going in to Mountain View until I got the email, and this thread only goes back a few weeks. Well-kept secret.

Edit: Just realized this will help substantially with the huge influx of Teslas for TMC Connect next month! Great timing!

Last edited: