Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain Village, CO - Mountain Village Blvd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kayenta, AZ is right in the Navajo Nation. I don't know but I can imagine getting approval from the Navajo Tribal people may be an add on barrier for a SuC there. Cortez is outside the Ute Boundries. Map of Native American Reservations located on the Colorado Plateau
Much as I'd like to see a Supercharger Station in Cortez, since it is the gateway city to Mesa Verde National Park and Canyons of the Ancients and Hovenweep National Monuments, it is only 69 miles from Farmington NM and 267 miles from Flagstaff AZ. (Farmington is 284 miles from Flagstaff, and Blanding is 251 miles from Flagstaff, by the way.)

Without Kayenta, US 160 to Flagstaff is impossible for me and difficult for many other Teslas.

Why Kayenta was dropped from the "coming soon" list of Supercharger Stations is a subject of speculation, but whether or not it has anything to do with being part of the Navajo Nation, I haven't a clue.

Reactions: CO_MY and SnowFlyer
Why Kayenta was dropped from the "coming soon" list of Supercharger Stations is a subject of speculation, but whether or not it has anything to do with being part of the Navajo Nation, I haven't a clue.
OT, I know. Kayenta probably needs it’s own thread, I’m also hoping it’s in line for a SuC. I’m copying this OT explanation of changes in the ‘coming soon’ listing that’s informative from a @mociaf9 post at the Myrtle Creek, OR thread, he’s as on top of upcoming SuCer’s as anyone I can think of.
acarney said:
That would be so weird for them to have had Boardman on the map for a couple years, THEN remove it completely, to then just put it back on the map. Could happen, but I fear for some reason east has just been deemed "good enough."
“Not weird at all. For a long time Tesla's map policy for future supercharger locations that had fallen through but that they were still working on finding a replacement hosting site was to just leave the pin on there and keep incrementing the "target opening" date by 1 year every January regardless of whether they had actually made enough progress on securing a new host to realistically hit that target. The fact that Boardman stayed on the map was just indicative that they were still trying to get a supercharger there eventually. Then, at the beginning of 2021, Tesla changed the way they were maintaining their map. Now, future supercharger sites seem to get pins and updated target dates based on their actual current status. That meant that Boardman had to come off because it didn't yet meet their new criteria for having a pin. But it doesn't mean that they stopped working towards a supercharger there. Once Tesla finds a host property, they'll add Boardman back on.”
Mociaf9

Today's pictures from Mountain Village, progress continues but still much more to be done:

Mountain Village Superchargers2483sf 8-28-21.jpg

^ The conduits to the three stalls east of the stairs are in place. Behind the cone is one of the front-in stalls. The other two are the usual back-in.

Mountain Village Superchargers2484sf 8-28-21.jpg

^ The front-in stall near the garage entrance is in place, although the wiring is not done yet.

Mountain Village Superchargers2485sf 8-28-21.jpg

^ The cables have been pulled between the transformer building across the driveway to the V3 modules.

Mountain Village Superchargers2486sf 8-28-21.jpg

^ I was surprised to find that the large cables are all aluminum, except for the green ground cables; I guess that saves a lot of copper. Must be tough to pull cables that big and stiff through the conduits.

This is one of the red cables to one of the stalls showing the markings:

Mountain Village Superchargers2489crop 8-28-21.jpg Mountain Village Superchargers2490crop 8-28-21.jpg
It is pretty heavy duty, as might be expected.
These are the specs marked on the cables connecting to the V3 boxes:
Mountain Village Superchargers2492sf 8-28-21.jpg

Last edited:
Supercharger Station is nearly complete: all stalls, wiring and curb stops are in place. Needs extra conduit and empty cable reels removed, as well as testing and inspection. The difference between today's pictures and the previous ones is considerable:

Mountain Village Superchargers2 514sf 9-26-21.jpg

^ Final three stalls to the east of the stairwell are now finished.

Mountain Village Superchargers2515sf 9-26-21.jpg

^ Five stalls near the fifth floor entrance to the parking garage are finished.

Mountain Village Superchargers2516sf 9-26-21.jpg

Mountain Village Superchargers2517sf 9-26-21.jpg

^ Cables from the power house across the driveway to the V3 boxes are complete and sealed.

Supercharger Station is nearly complete: all stalls, wiring and curb stops are in place. Needs extra conduit and empty cable reels removed, as well as testing and inspection. The difference between today's pictures and the previous ones is considerable:

View attachment 714680
^ Final three stalls to the east of the stairwell are now finished.

View attachment 714679
^ Five stalls near the fifth floor entrance to the parking garage are finished.

View attachment 714678

View attachment 714677
^ Cables from the power house across the driveway to the V3 boxes are complete and sealed.
Thanks for the updates! I'm heading down to Telluride tomorrow from Denver for the weekend and will probably stop by to see if they are up in running. Planning on charging at Poncha Springs and Montrose. Did the drive last year with just Poncha Springs charger, that was a little tight, glad there's at least the Montrose one now.

Thanks for the updates! I'm heading down to Telluride tomorrow from Denver for the weekend and will probably stop by to see if they are up in running. Planning on charging at Poncha Springs and Montrose. Did the drive last year with just Poncha Springs charger, that was a little tight, glad there's at least the Montrose one now.
Any update to the Mountain Village Supercharger Station status?

Checked yesterday and the stalls were the same as in the pictures Dhalmon posted above. However, the power house door was open and an electrician was working on the cabinet on the far wall. It appears that some more cables need to be pulled and hooked up in there before this site is ready for inspection and testing.

Mountain Village Superchargers2518crop 10-7-21.JPG

^ Picture through the open door of the power house.

It's a bit of a bummer you have to go all the way into Mountain Village and into the parking garage, but this is a needed location for sure. If they put it down on the CO-145 junction where you can go into Telluride or up to Mountain Village\San Juan Skyway it would have been a better location for travel

Nice! Did you confirm there are really 9 stalls at this location?

@MarcoRP @Chuq
9 stalls is a mistake (typo?). It is a standard 8 stall, 2 V3 unit Supercharger Station. Yes, I'm sure:

Supercharging at Mountain Village2528crop 11-11-21.jpg

^ The stalls were blocked off by cones — my guess is that it is to prevent ICEing during ski season. They were all on and worked fine.

Supercharging at Mountain Village2527crop 11-11-21.jpg

Mountain Village Panorama2523-26sf 11-11-21.JPG

^ Today's panorama from the top of the Mountain Village parking garage, just one flight of stairs up from the Superchargers.

It's a bit of a bummer you have to go all the way into Mountain Village and into the parking garage, but this is a needed location for sure. If they put it down on the CO-145 junction where you can go into Telluride or up to Mountain Village\San Juan Skyway it would have been a better location for travel
It is about 3.5 miles from the CO-145 junction with the road to Telluride and 1.8 miles from the highway. Being on the fifth floor of the parking garage, it is protected from the weather. The Gondola to Telluride is free and a lovely ride. So, if traveling CO-145, you only need to go 1.8 miles off the highway to get to the Supercharger Station in the Mountain Village parking garage. Not a big deal. I recommend charging, parking and then taking the gondola to Telluride to explore.

I believe that this station is now the highest in North America: over 9500 feet (2900 meters).

I believe that this station is now the highest in North America: over 9500 feet (2900 meters).

Indeed, and it appears to be ~712 miles from the lowest elevation supercharger in the world (according to supercharge.info), El Centro, CA (-8 meters). Who's going to be the first to drive from Mountain Village to El Centro with a single stop in Flagstaff? :)

Barring something unexpected, this will become the highest elevation supercharger in the world when it opens

Not even close as it turns out! Mountain Village is about 9,545 ft. There are multiple supercharger locations in China over 10,000 ft, with the highest being the "Baiba, Tingri – Roof of the World Hotel" supercharger at 14,232 ft (!!) in the Tibet Autonomous Region.

Not even close as it turns out! Mountain Village is about 9,545 ft. There are multiple supercharger locations in China over 10,000 ft, with the highest being the "Baiba, Tingri – Roof of the World Hotel" supercharger at 14,232 ft (!!) in the Tibet Autonomous Region.
Interesting. I had just noticed the build out in Western China over the last few months. Those are some impressively high superchargers!

As an aside, what do you guys think Tesla is up to there? Are they trying to connect Asia and Europe? Would LOVE to do that drive although from what I hear, foreigners aren't allowed to rent cars in China. And it seems like it would be exceedingly difficult to cross all those borders and drive through all those countries in Central Asia and Eastern Europe. Would probably need to partner with a local Tesla owner in China and then hire a "guide" for some of those countries.