Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Hope, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there are a bunch of Sheetz locations getting superchargers, I called a couple in the area of Beckley WV which has a Coming Soon pin on the Tesla Find Us page. The supercharger will be at a location in Mt Hope, just north of Beckley and several miles north of the I-64/I-77 interchange. The person I talked to said he had seen the blueprints but construction had not started yet.

Sheetz
5481 Robert C Byrd Drive
Mount Hope, WV 25880

Since there are a bunch of Sheetz locations getting superchargers, I called a couple in the area of Beckley WV which has a Coming Soon pin on the Tesla Find Us page. The supercharger will be at a location in Mt Hope, just north of Beckley and several miles north of the I-64/I-77 interchange. The person I talked to said he had seen the blueprints but construction had not started yet.

Sheetz
5481 Robert C Byrd Drive
Mount Hope, WV 25880

I was about to start looking in that area to locate the charger. I'll stop by one day soon and look at the location. It's been about 1yr since I have been at that location. US 19 is a toll road through there.

Well, happy to see Beckley on the map, but this location is a bit out of the way for my Charlotte -> Showshoe ski trip. Last time, after Wytheville, I needed to make a precautionary HPWC stop at the Greenbrier because the car was showing arrival at Snowshoe with under 4% SOC and that's a lot of uphill going there.

Still, it is a supercharger and it is no more out of the way than the Greenbrier (White Sulphur Springs) is...and I will be able to skip Wytheville going north (maybe) and skip Beckley going south (definitely).

Last edited:
Beckley, WV

Interstates: I-64/I-77*
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-19

I-64:
To: Lexington, VA - 123 miles
Diversion: -2.3 miles**
To: Charlottesville, VA - 190 miles

I-77:
To: Charleston, WV - 56.1 miles
Diversion: 3.5 miles
To: Cambridge, OH - 187 miles

To: Weston, WV (US-19,I-79,US-48) - 109 miles

Good sign that it's really helping to complete an area is that there are so few direct routes to other Superchargers. It splits:
Charleston, WV to Lexington, VA
Wytheville, VA to Charleston, WV
Wytheville, VA to Weston, WV.

* I-64 and I-77 are concurrent
** Exit and re-entry to I-64 are in different locations and it leads to a more direct route, cutting out a bit of looping Interstate.
*** Don't know if Statesville, NC's actually going to be built.

Reactions: docherf
IMG_0351.JPG
I just stopped by and it appears that it will be on the drive through side of Sheetz. There is a fence up around the area where the chargers will be. There is an existing transformer on the other side of the drive through lane. Getting to this location also requires getting off of 77 on to us 19 and paying a 40 cent toll.

View attachment 233688 I just stopped by and it appears that it will be on the drive through side of Sheetz. There is a fence up around the area where the chargers will be. There is an existing transformer on the other side of the drive through lane. Getting to this location also requires getting off of 77 on to us 19 and paying a 40 cent toll.
Ouch. It's worth it I guess. About how long does it take to exit and start charging do you think?

Stopped by today and the construction company was onsite doing final survey work. Great guys. This is their second Supercharger project. They just finished the installation in Morgantown.

They said construction will start next week and confirmed there will be eight superchargers. They have to install a transformer and it will go where the white stake is in my photo. They said the wire runs are long and reasonably complex so surprises aren't out of the question. Their crew will stay in town, so progress should come quick once they begin.

They hadn't seen a Model S up and close so showed them around Lenny. Frunk, Sub-trunk, summon mode, AP1 hardware, the big screen, and more. Really enjoyed chatting with them.

IMG_20170727_090947.jpg
IMG_20170727_090458.jpg
IMG_20170727_090558.jpg
PANO_20170727_090701.jpg

I disagree. There has definitely been some work done. The photo is pretty fuzzy, but it appears the ground within the fence has been dug up, which was not the case when I was there. It doesn't look like much progress, but it at least indicates the construction phase of under way.

Definitely looks like work. Initial work is digging and conduit. The way it's fenced off, it looks like it'll be nicely self-contained, with everything in the cage and no work needed on the parking lot.

I disagree. There has definitely been some work done. The photo is pretty fuzzy, but it appears the ground within the fence has been dug up, which was not the case when I was there. It doesn't look like much progress, but it at least indicates the construction phase of under way.

Ok, not-as-much-active-work-being-performed as Weston then. No construction equipment, no cabinets or hardware, no conduit, etc. Just some water-filled holes so not 'same' status but I meant to say 'similar' status.

I have other photos but didn't want to attach the full size image. Here is a view of the digging.

IMG_20170817_191414-499x374.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Thinkje