Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Pleasant, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I found a utility location request in order to do the site design for a "Tesla Project" at the Hy-Vee gas station in Mt. Pleasant, IA. Based on Tesla's existing partnership with Hy-Vee for hosting superchargers and the fact that the survey company has done similar work for other superchargers in Iowa, I'm guessing this location is under development to be a future supercharger.

Ticket No: 551908511
Original Call Date: 11/21/19 16:29 pm
Beginning Work Date: 11/25/19 04:30 pm
Expiration Date: 12/10/19

Excavator Name: GREAT PLAINS SURVEY, INC.
Type of Work: DESIGN INFORMATION

City: MOUNT PLEASANT
Address: 1700 E WASHINGTON ST (Google Maps link to surveyed area)
Remarks: PROJECT TITLE: MOUNT PLEASANT TESLA PROJECT TITLE: MOUNT PLEASANT TESLA

Technically, the above ticket was cancelled, but the company called back and opened a new one in the same location without the reference to Tesla. In the new ticket, the project is called "Mount Pleasant Hy-Vee"

That would make travel on US 34 a lot more practical as well as north/south travel on US 218. All they'd need would be to put in the Supercharger at Peoria, IL and a new one at Osceola, IA. Is there no similar database available for Illinois? I haven't been able to find any information about the Supercharger for Peoria let alone finding any unannounced fast chargers for western Illinois.

Mount Pleasant, IA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-34, US-218
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

This is another Supercharger filling in the route from St Louis, MO to Minneapolis, MN,
At an intersection of 2 US Numbered Highways, US-218 (South-North), and US-34 (West-East).

Just checked with Mount Pleasant City Hall and they expect construction to start in the Fall. Here was their quick reply to my email.

"I have issued a permit for a Tesla Supercharger to be installed at the Mount Pleasant Hy-Vee. I expect construction to begin this Fall, but I do not have a hard start date. I am happy to hear that folks like you will be coming through Mount Pleasant when the charger is installed – HWY 218 is a great corridor between St Louis and many locations in Iowa and Minnesota."

Any pictures or update on this location?

it’s impossible to get to Lake of the Ozarks in winter from Eastern IA without this charger!

Just checked with Mount Pleasant City Hall and they expect construction to start in the Fall. Here was their quick reply to my email.

"I have issued a permit for a Tesla Supercharger to be installed at the Mount Pleasant Hy-Vee. I expect construction to begin this Fall, but I do not have a hard start date. I am happy to hear that folks like you will be coming through Mount Pleasant when the charger is installed – HWY 218 is a great corridor between St Louis and many locations in Iowa and Minnesota."

Any pictures or update on this location?

it’s impossible to get to Lake of the Ozarks in winter from Eastern IA without this charger!

Only thing I can find publicly that's more recent than the posts from March is you can find an article published in early June by the local newspaper that also references the Tesla project.

MP Municipal Utilites provides electric car charging stations

This article states a specific location has not been determined but that site plans have been approved (seem a little contradictory to you??? How do you approve site plans without a specific location????). It again repeats comment that construction to begin in summer, although given fall starts in about 9 days, I wouldn't put much to that statement unless someone local to the area can spot any forms of construction.

I'm not opposed to a drive just to go check it out, but outside of my daily driving radius, although does look like I'll be headed back to CR next Saturday to attend a burial service.

I've never been to the supercharge.info map. You are correct, it does show Mt. Pleasant with construction permit. Supercharge.info is not affliated directly with Tesla. Mt. Pleasant does not show and has never shown on the supercharger map on the Tesla website. Supercharge.info map likely shows Mt. Pleasant with a permit because of this thread on TMC.

The thing you have to understand about Supercharge.info is that the "permit" status doesn't necessarily mean the site has an actual building permit. It's their catchall status for any location known to be in some stage of project development prior to actual construction. In this case, though, we know that they do have one. You can refer to post #6 of this thread to see that someone got a reply from the city of Mt. Pleasant saying that they had issued permits for the supercharger. In March, they said that they expected construction might start in the fall of 2020. Given that the current pandemic has resulted in Tesla delaying starts on many superchargers, I'm not that surprised that it isn't going to happen this year. Hopefully next spring.

FYI, Tesla's map of coming soon locations isn't that useful. Lots of sites get built and opened without ever having been listed with a grey pin first. And more initially show up with grey pins that say they'll be built in a given year and still haven't been built 3 or 4 years later.