Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Pleasant, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're seeing action on the Hannibal, MO; Waterloo, IA; and Peoria, IL supercharger sites right now, I decided to take another look to see if there had been any recent dig notices for this location and I got what I think is a partial hit: Ticket 210601114
Original Call Date: 03/01/21
Beginning Work Date: 03/03/21

Type of Work: TEST BORES

Work Being Done For: TERRACON

Location of Work:8 PARKING STALLS ALONG S PRAIRIE AVE FROM INTERSECTION TRAVEL 525 FEET SOUTH. SITE IS ON THE WEST BETWEEN THE 2 ACCESS DRIVES INTO HYVEE PARKING LOT.

It's not listed as being for Tesla and it's just for making test bores, not to build the actual station yet. But based on the exact location, I'm pretty sure it's related to the supercharger. Regardless, Tesla's new map seems to be pretty accurate so far with their target dates so long as you read them as the supercharger site at least starting construction in the stated quarter if not necessarily opening then and they have Mt. Pleasant listed with a Q2 date. That also tracks with the last information from the city permitting office as to what they knew of the planned construction schedule. So, I won't be surprised if construction starts here within the next month or two.

Last edited:
180796740_4573314872689844_3401582449958931128_n.jpg

Work was supposed to start today according to post in MN Tesla group on Facebook.

@drummerm think I’ve seen your pic before you put that in the Iowa FB group?

7 stations going in, pic taken yesterday, May 9, 2021.

I work near it, so I check it often. Feel like it’s mocking me, in that I have no car yet lol

Feel like this is the perfect spot. An unused area right behind the gas station. Photo facing north, to the left is hyvee gas, hyvee groceries behind and left of where I'm taking photo.

chargerMP.jpg

Last edited:
@drummerm think I’ve seen your pic before you put that in the Iowa FB group?

7 stations going in, pic taken yesterday, May 9, 2021.

I work near it, so I check it often. Feel like it’s mocking me, in that I have no car yet lol

Feel like this is the perfect spot. An unused area right behind the gas station. Photo facing north, to the left is hyvee gas, hyvee groceries behind and left of where I'm taking photo.

View attachment 660994
I'd be really surprised if it's seven stalls. V3 setup goes in in groups of 4 stalls. I'm guessing there will be an eighth with it likely being a pull in forward versus back in stall. Those typically are the first one on the end and would be why you do not see an 8th pad in line with these seven. Just my guess, but seven would be a really unusual setup

I'd be really surprised if it's seven stalls. V3 setup goes in in groups of 4 stalls. I'm guessing there will be an eighth with it likely being a pull in forward versus back in stall. Those typically are the first one on the end and would be why you do not see an 8th pad in line with these seven. Just my guess, but seven would be a really unusual setup

that's what I thought too. 7 seemed odd but I don't know the specifics of how they're designed/built.

honestly, Im surprised theyre even putting one in here at all. Very rural, conservative, agricultural. Iv'e seen MAYBE 7-8 Teslas EVER here TOTAL lol

that's what I thought too. 7 seemed odd but I don't know the specifics of how they're designed/built.

honestly, Im surprised theyre even putting one in here at all. Very rural, conservative, agricultural. Iv'e seen MAYBE 7-8 Teslas EVER here TOTAL lol
I'm also surprised but this makes Iowa much more travelable in the SE corner. It's always sketchy out there but with hannibal and Mt. Pleasant, not an issue now. I'm surprised they didn't just do a 4 stall being so rural.

Reactions: hybridbear

It's to close the largest between Des Moines and Indianapolis via Peoria. Additionally with the superchargers going in to Hannibal, MO and Waterloo, this location helps close the gaps between Saint Louis and Minneapolis. Pretty strategic location in the scheme of the network.

It's to close the largest between Des Moines and Indianapolis via Peoria. Additionally with the superchargers going in to Hannibal, MO and Waterloo, this location helps close the gaps between Saint Louis and Minneapolis. Pretty strategic location in the scheme of the network.

Yep. I just hadn't thought of it that way before we ordered the car :) The big no charging circle around us(were in SE corner of iowa) I noticed earlier is closing up. Honestly, once I looked at it differently as a charge at home mission, Everywhere outside that circle is easy to make with a model Y so its a non issue. Not sure why I didnt see it that way before. We would probably already would have switched one of our cars to EV long before.

The Hannibal one will help us, we Head to the Ozarks often, sometime without the boat. Not sure on towing the boat yet, Ill have to test real range.

I'm also surprised but this makes Iowa much more travelable in the SE corner. It's always sketchy out there but with hannibal and Mt. Pleasant, not an issue now. I'm surprised they didn't just do a 4 stall being so rural.

yeah that was more my point. I get the fact its a good mid way spot, But was a little surprised to see it that large.

Yep. I just hadnt thought of it that way before we ordered the car :) The big no charging circle around us(were in SE corner of iowa) I noticed earlier is closing up.

The Hannibal one will help us, we Head to the ozarks often. (not sure on towing yet)

yeha that was more my point. I get the fact its a good mid way spot, But was a little surprised to see it that large.
Be great for me though, I frequent that area a lot and always have to to through Coralville instead of taking 163/63 to that area. Hopefully they can get the chademo working reliably in osky since it NEVER seems to work. I quit going that way.

Reactions: Peelz
Version 3 Superchargers has 4 stalls to a cabinet. To deal with cabinet failure, a 4-stall Supercharger would still need 2 cabinets, so if it can, Tesla just goes for a standard 8-stall setup, with 4 signed Tesla only and 4 signed preferred.

Reactions: sdoorex and Peelz
4 would be quite small with the exponential growth in the number of Tesla cars on the road. Even in rural areas 4 would be very small. It would be nice to see them be at least 8 and on major interstate corridors at least 12 minimum. We’ve seen lots of busy SCs. I’d also like to see the prices increase because I know that here locally the Superchargers are often being used by local owners versus road trippers. But I’m biased since we have lifetime free unlimited supercharging & we only use it for road trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Yea Marquette MI is only 4.
Are you referring to the new V3 supercharger going in at Marquette? if so, it's also 8 stall. If you check on page 5 of that thread you can see photos showing the bases for 8 stalls (in the most recent post from about 20 minutes ago).

I’d also like to see the prices increase because I know that here locally the Superchargers are often being used by local owners versus road trippers.

Realize that not everyone owns a home and many that live in apartments/condos that may not have the ability to install a home charger. Tesla recognized this a couple years ago when they first introduced the 72kW urban supercharger setups, many of which are commonly installed in parking garages and not along primary interstate corridors. You may recall Tesla's announcement back from 2017 where they acknowledged the need for supercharger network to support those who do not have home charging and not exclusively for long range travel.

Reactions: Peelz