Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA (111 Morgan Way, 4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9ACE045A-ADEF-481B-9B92-023FC08AA3E6.jpeg
It's about time.
Just went thru Grants Pass, they have 8 up and running. Also, I understand the four permanent units at the Best Western at Mt Shasta will stay in place. Picture of the Grants Pass 8 included here.

Reactions: ohmman
I wonder if they'll decommission the 4 "classic" Superchargers across the way once these are up. I've enjoyed more than one roaring fire in that Best Western on a rainy or snowy day. A part of me would miss that.

This has always been my favorite SC stop. I've had a picnic lunch several times on the grounds of the Best Western. They have picnic tables on both sides of the hotel with lots of green grass.

I just charged there and didn't see any problems. I hope you didn't try the new 16 Superchargers which have not yet been turned on. I talked to the attendant at the Treehouse lodge and they said the 6 Superchargers in their lot will remain; thus there will be 22 stalls.

Visited yesterday. The two temporary stalls at this location have been removed. The four original stalls have been upgraded with the newer style charging bollard, matching the 16 recently activated stalls across the street on the northern edge of the large parking lot. Nav guided me to this one, where one MX was charging, as a waypoint on a longer route home, rather than to the completely empty 16 stalls across the street. Not sure why. (I ignored Nav, but I already knew about the new addition.) Great to have 20 stalls total at this location.

So it's coming up on a year since the new supercharger went live. What's with the second supercharger? I was driving south and met some guys at Grants Pass in the same car and thought they would be at Mt. Shasta, only to discover after lunch there are TWO Mt. Shasta chargers and they may have been at the other one. I would think this is a serious point of confusion for some people. If you just point at Mt. Shasta on the map you have a 50% chance of getting the same charger as someone you are driving with.

-Randy

Reactions: MarcoRP
Sure, if you KNOW that there are two chargers. I was VERY surprised that there were two, I didn't see it on the car's display, nor did I see the other one pulling into the lot. I found it on plugshare by accident. When I walked to the little one from Black Bear I also didn't see the big one. They are NOT in each other's line of sight.

Having two Superchargers in the same town with the same name and JUST out of sight of each other is just unprecedented, that's all I was saying. Has and could lead to confusion. Was curious what the reasoning was behind the design.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Sure, if you KNOW that there are two chargers. I was VERY surprised that there were two, I didn't see it on the car's display, nor did I see the other one pulling into the lot. I found it on plugshare by accident. When I walked to the little one from Black Bear I also didn't see the big one. They are NOT in each other's line of sight.

Having two Superchargers in the same town with the same name and JUST out of sight of each other is just unprecedented, that's all I was saying. Has and could lead to confusion. Was curious what the reasoning was behind the design.

-Randy

I wonder if it would do any good to request that Tesla install a sign at the hotel location saying, "Additional charging stalls located in adjacent shopping center parking lot"? Contact | Tesla

Reactions: Ulmo
The big one came second because the small one was a big choke point on I-5 north-south travel
Agreed.

Randy, it can appear to be an odd decision on Tesla’s part, but we have no visibility into the challenges Tesla faced in trying to expand the first location, we can only guess. Perhaps the business owner didn’t want to dedicate any more parking spaces to Superchargers. Tesla explored alternative locations, but there aren’t many in that area. The parking lot across the street is huge and little used. That land owner apparently was willing to give Tesla lots of space.

And that is good news for all of us who pass through that area. There is no shortage of Supercharger stalls at Shasta! And that is a good thing.

Reactions: McManX and ohmman
Indeed it is, Fan. On a tangential note, the proximity of these two chargers to each other makes the current method on the touchscreen to identify (or select if navigating) problematic. Access from Lake St. onto Morgan Way reveals the Best Western on the immediate right with its four stalls. One must drive several yards farther south to make a left into the strip mall and then circle behind the vacant restaurant to find the sixteen newly installed Superchargers.

Easy for you, and easy for me, but could be confusing (especially given the deficient navigation directions that seem to drop you off to blaze your way to their precise location) for Fred and Wilma from Peoria on their family vacation.

Tesla needs to develop a finer method of delineating locations like this and Springfield, Oregon. Doubtless there will be others as the network expands. Signs at each location are a good start if the visitor can see the signs or knows where to look. But Tesla needs to develop a superior pin drop method for the touchscreen and perhaps have both locations pop up on the touchscreen when one searches for directions. That way, there is at least some knowledge that there are two discrete locations located differently but very, very close to each other.