Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA - 134 Morgan Way (LIVE 04 Jan 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to see! Looks like 2 of the stalls have yellow tape on them. Were the rest operational?

This thread should be included in the TMC Community Supercharger thread for California. There has been a running thread on it there. Sent in a report to have it moved.

Last edited:
Thanks, will look for that thread for future updates. None of them were open yet, but they look ready to go. Possibly waiting final inspection by the city.
Actually, before much happens, the local utility will need to place its transformer, which will sit on the concrete vault situated behind the charging bollards at roughly the fourth stall from the equipment enclosure end. That has been sitting empty for at least a month. When I peeked inside the enclosure on 11/25, it appeared that conduits were in place for a dry autotransformer for each supercharger. I haven't seen a report that those have been installed, which would be done by a contractor for Tesla.

Popped through yesterday morning. These look good to go but still not powered up.

Attachments

• 18D96777-5F8A-4DEB-A1C0-6C9CA7078C7A.jpeg
    18D96777-5F8A-4DEB-A1C0-6C9CA7078C7A.jpeg
    876.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Thanks for the update! Those white boxes are the dry autotransformers which will be connected between the power distribution center and the superchargers. Eight of them will need to be connected (via the conduit next to the supercharger cabinets) but at least they've been delivered! I'll get even more excited when the big green utility transformer is reported to be sitting on top of its concrete vault (just north of the 3rd/4th charging bollards from this end).

Reactions: Ulmo
This one has just gone live on the official Tesla site!
Thanks for your report!

I have moved all the posts about this new Supercharger location into their own thread since Tesla clearly consider it a separate location from the original Mt Shasta Supercharger location; the new location has its own unique name in the Tesla nav and its own pin.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I want to give a big THANK YOU to Tesla for adding so many stalls in Mt Shasta and am particularly thrilled that it appears I will be able to charge here without unhitching.

I do find the official name of this new location a bit odd: “Mt. Shasta, CA - 134 Morgan Way”.

It is atypical to include the state name in the Supercharger name (though it has happened before, such as “Corning, CA” and others) but the name just seems unwieldy to me. And the charging pedestals are a lot closer to Commercial Ave than to Morgan Way. And why does the street number need to be in the location name?

I would have called this new location “Mt. Shasta 2”. The car nav will guide me there, I don’t need to see the street address in the site name.

Last edited:
I want to give a big THANK YOU to Tesla for adding so many stalls in Mt Shasta and am particularly thrilled that it appears I will be able to charge here without unhitching.

I do find the official name of this new location a bit odd: “Mt. Shasta, CA - 134 Morgan Way”.

It is atypical to include the state name in the Supercharger name (though it has happened before, such as “Corning, CA” and others) but the name just seems unwieldy to me. And the charging pedestals are a lot closer to Commercial Ave than to Morgan Way. And why does the street number need to be in the location name?

I would have called this new location “Mt. Shasta 2”. The car nav will guide me there, I don’t need to see the street address in the site name.

I cannot answer your rhetorical questions, but I will add some personal notes.

(1) I learned that the city of Mount Shasta, California, was to be referred to as Mount Shasta City to differentiate it from the volcano. "I am going to Mt. Shasta" was ambiguous, so we would add city if we were heading there as opposed to the volcano.

(2) While it is very unlikely that there is another Mt. Shasta anywhere else on the globe, there are other communities with the name, Corning. New York comes to mind. Similarly, Springfield, Oregon and Illinois both have Superchargers. I assume that the software cannot discern two discrete locations with the exact name, so perhaps Tesla added CA to the new location to differentiate.

(3) Commercial Ave. is a nothing-burger stub of a street. Perhaps there were no postal addresses assigned to Commercial. All the addresses in that strip mall appear to have Morgan Way addresses.

(4) I am a street address kind of guy. Road maps have not evolved enough to know what Mt. Shasta 2 is. But they do have the names of the streets and roads on them. (Not trying to be snarky, but I use maps and addresses. I loathe navigation systems.) :)

Reactions: McManX
Road maps have not evolved enough to know what Mt. Shasta 2 is.
But your Tesla’s navigation system will get you there without you having to know the street address. ;) No other Supercharger that I am aware of has the street address in its name as given to it by Tesla. There is no need for that because the in-car navigation will get you there.