Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA (111 Morgan Way, 4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shasta is packed with people charging and 8 waiting to charge. Most or maybe all are headed north for the eclipse.
IMG_4230.JPG

It's really too bad that Tesla didn't foresee this problem and bring the portable chargers up to Shasta and possibly Grants Pass. It was totally obvious for months in advance that Shasta would be a chokepoint this weekend.

We are #17 on the waiting list. Luckily a staffer at the Best Western staff is playing traffic cop for the stalls. Rumor has it in the lines that the entire city of Eugene is out of gas so maybe waiting hours for Superchargers isn't so bad after all.
Photo? That would be fascinating to see. I'm sorry for your wait but at least you're in Shasta.

We are #17 on the waiting list. Luckily a staffer at the Best Western staff is playing traffic cop for the stalls. Rumor has it in the lines that the entire city of Eugene is out of gas so maybe waiting hours for Superchargers isn't so bad after all.

Oregon has gas shortages around the state, especially in Central Oregon
Gas shortages, long waits reported at Central Oregon stations
Solar Eclipse causing gas shortages throughout Oregon

We have a friend who is coming in the day of the eclipse. He didn't realize it was happening until he booked his tickets. Under normal conditions we're less than 1/2 hour from PDX, but he got a room at the airport for the night just in case he can't get out of the airport area on Monday.

One of the above articles says Oregon is expecting the biggest traffic event in its history. I expect a lot of people who didn't properly plan are going to be stuck in traffic when the eclipse happens.

fivethirtyeight.com did an analysis of movement patterns for the event and how infrastructure is being strained. One thing most people don't think about, but has become a problem, is a porta-potty shortage. There are so many people flocking to the region of totality that every porta-potty for hundreds of miles has been reserved for months.

This will be a good worst case for Tesla to study traffic patterns and plan for future expansion. When so many people are headed one place at once, systems are going to be overloaded and there isn't much anyone can do about it, but this is a case study for Tesla for what's going to be common when there are 1 million Model 3s on the road.

They may not learn anything new, there have been long lines at superchargers before when people are traveling for holidays, but collecting more data can't hurt and might help down the line.

Last edited:
Yesterday when my wife and I arrived at the Mt Shasta Supercharge and discovered that there were 5 people ahead of us and that they were parked sort of randomly waiting, she took charge and issued each waiting driver with a small piece of paper with a number on it, and then issued numbers sequentially to other Tesla drivers as they entered the parking lot. Everyone, without exception, greatly appreciated her organization of the line of waiters. Most of us hung out in the parking lot or in the outdoor patio and chatted. I met an ex-SpaceX employee, an ex-Google employee who was currently working for AirBnB in the area of AI and deep learning software, a guy who upon retiring bought his first ever new car -- a Model S -- and loved it, and everyone got along. Pretty fun.