Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Shasta, CA (111 Morgan Way, 4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There used to be 6 chargers here but 2 of them have been removed. When I visited a couple of days ago, one of them was not working and the other three stalls were full. Had to wait 15-20 minutes to get started.

This is a critical location for I-5 travel. I wonder why it was downgraded? I don't see any other activity for new superchargers in the area.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Thanks for your post. I've used that Supercharger location twice but now cannot recall the exact number of Supercharger pedestals that were there. Are you sure that there used to be 6?

Currently the Find Us page at Tesla.com shows that location has 4 stalls.

p.s. When I saw you had started a thread about this Supercharger I searched this forum because I assumed there was an existing thread since this location has been operational for a few years now. To my surprise I could not find an existing thread!

Interesting, I was there about 2 weeks ago and saw the 2 temporary superchargers, which were certainly needed for the holiday traffic.

Mt Shasta has one of the gray "coming soon" icons on the supercharger webpage, so they're either going to expand that site or add another. Odd that they'd remove the 2 temporary chargers before starting the new build out though.

Thanks for your post. I've used that Supercharger location twice but now cannot recall the exact number of Supercharger pedestals that were there. Are you sure that there used to be 6?

It was a 4+2 setup, 4 perm 2 temp.

p.s. When I saw you had started a thread about this Supercharger I searched this forum because I assumed there was an existing thread since this location has been operational for a few years now. To my surprise I could not find an existing thread!

When planning a recent trip I went looking for threads on all the chargers on my route, I don't think there was one for Corning either.

When I passed through at end of May, there were 4 stalls and no temporary - but two empty parking spaces between the 4 stalls and the Tesla hardware

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 8.59.42 AM.png

Last edited:
It was a 4+2 setup, 4 perm 2 temp.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. Now I understand the OP better. I thought he was saying that there were always 6 stalls and that 2 were gone, which wouldn't make sense.

Yes it is odd that the two temporary chargers were removed. Maybe they were urgently needed somewhere else. Earlier this year, when there was a rash of breaker thefts from multiple California Superchargers perhaps those temp chargers were needed elsewhere.

Currently the Find Us page at Tesla.com shows that location has 4 stalls.

Some of the really old superchargers don't have their own threads. Since 2014 or so there has been enough excitement on this forum that threads usually start before the supercharger is even open, but this one was opened in 2013 when there were fewer Tesla owners and fewer TMC members.

FWIW I've been using this supercharger off and on for the last 10 months and during that period, it has always been 4 pedestals. I do agree that there needs to be more. I've never had to wait here, but I've seen it full a couple times and I've had a really slow charge due to being paired one time (was getting like 25kW with a less than half full battery).

There are plans in the works for a new, larger Supercharger at Mt. Shasta in the Black Bear Diner parking lot across the street. They are also expanding the 4 stall Grants Pass Supercharger. I'm a little surprised they haven't started yet, the utility locates were done when I was there at the end of May.
I was about to say that they are probably okay for now since there aren't any holiday weekends left (well Labor Day could be a problem I suppose) in the summer season, but then I remembered the eclipse. This stretch could be a disaster if a lot of Californians drive up for that, and I'm fairly sure they will.

Other than the eclipse and Labor Day, these superchargers would probably be sufficient until next Memorial Day as there's a lot less traffic on this route outside of the summer months, but certainly they will need to bolster the number of pedestals before next summer. Of course there are also issues with Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Updated the discuss link to point to this thread. supercharge.info

Interestingly looks like I changed the stall count from 4 to 6 only 10 days ago due to an email. Oh well, no big deal, changed it back to 4.

Recent change history for this site:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
change-date| field | old-value| new-value
---------------------------------------------------------------------
7/08/2017 | stallCount| 4 | 6
7/08/2017 | notes | null | email,local saying there are actually 6 stalls.
7/18/2017 | urlDiscuss| null | Supercharger - Mt. Shasta
7/18/2017 | stallCount| 6 | 4

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emchen and Ulmo
At Mt Shasta now. Still a non-functional stall at 2B, other 3 are full. This is a Wednesday at 2:30 pm. Grants Pass had all 4 full at 11:30am. Both locations need expansion soon.
On a Wednesday afternoon. Yikes! These two and Ellensburg are projecting to be real choke points for travels to and from the Northwest. And also, Centralia eventually if they don't get anything else between Seattle and Portland soon.

Fortunately the summer driving season will come to an end before many Model 3s end up on the roads. But even then I would expect issues on Labor Day weekend and especially for the eclipse. We will really need a big build out over the winter or else next summer will be a nightmare.

I was at Grants Pass 2 weeks ago and had to wait 5 minutes for a spot. When I plugged in I was only getting 23kW until the paired car left. Going to be driving home tomorrow and I'll miss the 16 stalls at Cabazon and 8 stalls at Indio without lineups. Cabazon definitely has the fastest chargers on my trip so far.

I was lucky to detour through Fresno instead of going through Gustine on my way to Bakersfield, since the Gustine SC was down and I had just enough juice to get to Fresno.

Good to know that 2b is down at Mt Shasta. I'll report the status on plugshare and here when I go through Mt Shasta in 2 days.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
I have noticed twice personally over the past year that Mt. Shasta and Grants Pass fill up during the noon hour. It seems to me that both these spots are about 3-5 hour drives from popular departure points and/or destinations for the day. I bet many people plan their day around eating lunch at spots like these.

I have also been to Mt. Shasta at other times of day, like late afternoon or first thing in the morning, and there was no problem.