TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Myrtle Beach, SC

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Lanny, Sep 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

Pending approval from the city, a 10-stall Tesla Supercharger is planned for Coastal Grand Mall near the intersection of Routes 17 and 501 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Agenda item 4 under Building Permit Applications on the Myrtle Beach Community Appearance Board meeting at 1:30 p.m., Thursday, September 15, 2016 is Tesla Motors EV Charging Station – 2000 Coastal Grand Circle: Requests a conceptual / final review to install (5) charging stations and support equipment to existing parking stalls and landscaping plan.

I called the city and they confirmed that the plans call for 10 Supercharger stalls. If approved by the Appearance Board, that is essentially the final step in the approval process according to the city.

SC Myrtle Beach.png
    Google Map Link

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. mspisars

mspisars Member

Nice, good job on hunting this down.

3. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

And there are more charging options opening up in the coastal region. If you are staying at one of the beach communities south of Myrtle Beach there are several to be found on Plugshare.....some at condos and some at beach homes. So hit the SC at Myrtle and then go to a destination farther away from the crowds of Myrtle and enjoy!

4. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

The planned Supercharger station site is in the area indicated below.

One of the ten stalls is a pull-in style, the other nine are back-in.

Google Map link

SC Myrtle Beach Lot.jpg

• Informative x 1
  5. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

6. Tam

Tam Active Member

Thanks @Lanny for sharing the great news!

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Didn't see this coming. Columbia? Birmingham? Bueller?

8. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

That would be a great location for one Roadster HPC or Model S/X HPWC so ALL Tesla owners could benefit!

9. shonline

shonline Member

This is great. But anyone who's been up to Myrtle will be surprised there is an "appearance board" ha ha.

Need Columbia SC now too.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

The Myrtle Beach Community Appearance Board approved the permit application for the Tesla Supercharger with a few minor modifications requested.

• Like x 1
  11. Joer293

Joer293 MODEL X P100DL

Tesla must have used the data from vehicles like mine to determine this location. (And likely got a big tax incentive from plug in Carolina) I go 3 times a year or so, and charging off the parking lots 120v outlets limit our excursions. They do have a destination charger downtown, but superchargers will help a lot.

12. PatFor

PatFor Member

We can only hope!

13. DrumCoder

DrumCoder Member

I actually stayed at the Best Western Plus Grand Strand last October, which is a destination charger. The owner of the hotel was a huge Tesla fanboy, which is why he got the chargers, and we were his favorite guests for the weekend. We've been looking forward to going back, especially since now it's easier - neither the Greenville, SC nor Augusta, GA superchargers were open, and I'm in a 70D coming from Atlanta, so it required some interesting route and stop choices. Looking forward to a less adventurous trip to Myrtle Beach in the future!

• Like x 1
  14. X Fan

X Fan Member

That's a great location, decent food/shopping and not far from the airport.

Folks from Raleigh can charge off i40 at Warsaw then again at mall while heading down to stay in Myr area.

Also, easier to get to Wilmington from south ( local electric company installed fast chargers in calabash and Leland last year so EV charging is on the rise ).

Way to go Tesla,.... just need Columbia and Charleston.

• Like x 1
  15. shonline

shonline Member

Well, I live in Charleston - so vote for Columbia first - ha ha!

16. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

What kind of tax incentive can Tesla get in Myrtle Beach, SC?

17. Joer293

Joer293 MODEL X P100DL

Looks like I was thinking in the past. There were energy grants to build public EV charging infrastructure in SC. Looks like Eaton took most of that money through the "Plug-in Carolina" non profit, which doesn't seem to exist anymore. When I checked the laws, it looks like "Alternative fuel" no longer legally includes electric. Hmm, in fact everything looks geared towards pro-natural gas and propane incentives.

Oddly enough, there is an incentive to create a "battery manufacturing" facility. I suppose left over from their gigafactory dreams.

18. shonline

shonline Member

Drove by there today when I went up for a meeting. No sign of anything yet...

19. JDaniel

JDaniel Member

No sign of Supercharger construction yet.
    The property I stay at has no charger. The Grand Strand Nissan dealership has a CHAdeMO that they will let you use. Very friendly. There is also a CHAdeMO charger just North of North Myrtle in Calabash, NC at the Boundary House Restaurant. Good seafood. Most of the level 2 chargers I found were 'patrons only'. The Supercharger will make life much easier when we visit in the future.

• Like x 1
  20. JDaniel

JDaniel Member

Did I see your car at Mellow Mushroom?