Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Napa, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plans show a "3000 sq ft Convenience Store". They hope you will buy an armload of Twinkies and Licorice ropes. At Convenience Store prices. And you get to visit with truck drivers. You may also get to watch how hydrogen at 10,000 psi is pumped into a Toyota, if the multi-fuel center will allow super explosive hydrogen anywhere near their complex. I don't expect Toyota will allow just anybody to pump hydrogen. Even if they make it idiot proof, the world seems to make better idiots.

Actually, there may be a few truck drivers wanting to come over and see what a Tesla is. Some of those trucks take a while to fill, some with two 300 gallon tanks. Even with twin 75s, they won't be filling up in 5 minutes. Or with one 50. That's some serious money, and when you tell them that Superchargers are free forever, you will truly tug at their wallet's heartstrings.

The plans show an outside picnic area with tables. It's Napa, so even a convenience store will have some gourmet food items. After all, our drive in burger place has a wine list.

The plans show an outside picnic area with tables. It's Napa, so even a convenience store will have some gourmet food items. After all, our drive in burger place has a wine list.

By which I assume you went by a scoped out the plans, too. Yup. Gotta have som'eres to sit and eat your Convenience Store Upscale Napa Hotdog. Maybe with local wines.

I live too close to charge there, and the temp in Napa today was 95 by my car thermometer. I'd drive on into town or up-valley, myself.

By which I assume you went by a scoped out the plans, too. Yup. Gotta have som'eres to sit and eat your Convenience Store Upscale Napa Hotdog. Maybe with local wines.

I live too close to charge there, and the temp in Napa today was 95 by my car thermometer. I'd drive on into town or up-valley, myself.

I found the plans online somewhere in the Napa Planning Department web maze, but have since lost that link into the internet either. The plans call for final inspection in September, for whatever that's worth.

The site will be shaded by solar panels.

GREAT work in scouting this out. Maybe the "blue dot" will become an "orange cone" now.

Woohoo!

Went by Allied Propane. Sure enough, digging in water lines and lots of dirt. A mobile office sits on Allied's parking lot just north of the dirt, and with a little visiting, someone said, "I thought the Tesla charge site was supposed to be hush - hush". I reply, "Permits are public property, aren't they?" He smiled.

Be that as it may, someone didn't see the plans laying on the pickup tailgate very much. A ditch for high power lines. Then eight stalls, the fence around the inverters, the pad for the transformer, all in blue and white. Labeled "Tesla farm".

The whole dirt area is to be a fuel station for anything you might have with wheels. I didn't see hydrogen, but there were plans for huge tanks for propane, lng, a large filling station right in front for cars, then a large convenience store with L2s along behind, then a semi truck filling station in back, and to the right, on the north line next to the Allied Propane place, a row of Tesla SCs.

There was no comment about time for completion. One of the guys said he'd worked on the Vacaville SC install. I suggested 3-6 months and there was no answer. Just Grins and hush hush. They obviously have to get the tanks and pipes and building up. I offered the "tour", but seems like everyone had been in a Tesla somewhere before.

One picture: Allied Propane is on the right on the north boundary of the property. The ditch is for 10 to 12" blue pipe -- water? But right about halfway down that ditch will be the inverters, pad, and eight spaces. And though they aren't done yet, it won't take a year, I don't think.

View attachment 85206

They should have built the superchargers at the outlets near highway 29 and 1st street. There're some chargers from a private company where you can sign up to charge but I don't think they're supercharger speed.

They should have built the superchargers at the outlets near highway 29 and 1st street. There're some chargers from a private company where you can sign up to charge but I don't think they're supercharger speed.

I've dealt with the Napa Outlet people for years vis a vis charging a RAV4EV. Our RAV group supplied the charger and installation. The Outlet management stuck us behind the mall so we had to come through a business. After a while they decided that wasn't suiting them, so they claimed the charger wasn't being used, took it out, and took it to the dump. No communication. And those chargers were very rare, out of production, cost about $4000.

So, you not only need a place to charge, you need positive relationship with management.

The Napa Premium Outlets may have lots of shopping, but the food court is ho hum. At the Allied Propane area, the convenience store will take you about ten minutes, and very likely your charging needs will be met by then.

- - - Updated - - -

GREAT work in scouting this out. Maybe the "blue dot" will become an "orange cone" now.

I go by the Napa SC site about once a week. Lots of dirt still torn up, but yesterday I noted that they have the dirt pad shaped up ready for the convenience store concrete work to begin this week. I am pretty sure that the power lines and various pipes are dug in. I saw that comment where the paperwork stated expected completion in Sept. and I can believe that.

I'm surprised the Outlets allowed the new chargers to be installed in the front after their "non-use" in the back. I used the CHAdeMo charger once. It was flakey.

I've dealt with the Napa Outlet people for years vis a vis charging a RAV4EV. Our RAV group supplied the charger and installation. The Outlet management stuck us behind the mall so we had to come through a business. After a while they decided that wasn't suiting them, so they claimed the charger wasn't being used, took it out, and took it to the dump. No communication. And those chargers were very rare, out of production, cost about $4000.

So, you not only need a place to charge, you need positive relationship with management.

The Napa Premium Outlets may have lots of shopping, but the food court is ho hum. At the Allied Propane area, the convenience store will take you about ten minutes, and very likely your charging needs will be met by then.

- - - Updated - - -

I go by the Napa SC site about once a week. Lots of dirt still torn up, but yesterday I noted that they have the dirt pad shaped up ready for the convenience store concrete work to begin this week. I am pretty sure that the power lines and various pipes are dug in. I saw that comment where the paperwork stated expected completion in Sept. and I can believe that.

Was in Napa a year ago and noticed a Tesla branded charger in the parking lot of the upscale Hotel/mall downtown, right on the river.

One Model S was plugged in, and it seemed very convenient for tourist and locals alike.

You could take a stroll down the waterfront where botique shops and restaurants were available. They have a nice floating dock where boaters can tie up (some electric) and wander the area. Really nice and new.

fd4189d0f09b66018ef2cb70b75f6872.jpg

Napa River Inn needs to make those two spots available for general parking to comply with the rules about available parking in the use permit. The wineries probably have the same problem. You can always park in one of the three reserved spots and stretch the cable across the divider. I've only seen the HPWC spots Iced once.

HPWC at most Napa locations are a hit or a miss specially at the wineries where there are no signs indicating "EV parking Only" next to HPWC. Even at Napa River Inn HPWC get Iced.