Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Napa, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I recall, the owner of the convenience store / gas station also owns the business property adjacent. Good choice. His office building parking lot often has empty spaces.

Although, gotta say, haven't seen more than 3 cars in eight slots so far. Where's them threes???
Been there, done that, in my M3. But agree, except maybe Sunday afternoon, very little action.

D2784C23-FE21-4656-A74A-93FDA504AED0.jpeg
This was quick, the guys already set up and unwrapped the stalls today...

Stations is under temporary closure though, will send pics

Reactions: DOCAL
But I hate parking backwards. Will the cable reach if you park like a normal human?

In some (many?) other parts of the world, it’s normal to back in to parking. You may as well get used to it because a number of Suoercharger sites are designed this way. Since getting a Tesla I’ve found my back in parking skills have improved considerably.

But I know of no Supercharger where both back in and head in parking work. The cables aren’t that long and they end up on the wrong side of the car anyway.

Bruce.

But I hate parking backwards. Will the cable reach if you park like a normal human?
A majority of the Superchargers I have used over the past 5 years are back in. With the rear view camera lines I find backing in a Tesla very easy.

For the first year or so of ownership of my 2013 Model S there were no backup lines shown in the image and it could be challenging. Since the lines were added it’s easy. Learn how the lines relate to the edge of the car and trust your parking sensors while being aware of their limitations (can’t detect very narrow or very “soft” objects).

As Bruce notes, in much of the world back in parking is normal. Back in Superchargers are here to stay. And the parking stops will prevent you from going to far.

And now I have contributed to this thread potentially drifting off topic and having to be split. I will willingly “moderate myself” if necessary. :)

To get things back on track, I'll relay that some friends of mine who used Napa over the weekend observed that there is no direct passage between the two "sides" of the Napa Supercharger, and that to get from the old stalls to the new stalls, you would need to drive back out to Devlin Road.

Bruce.

To get things back on track, I'll relay that some friends of mine who used Napa over the weekend observed that there is no direct passage between the two "sides" of the Napa Supercharger, and that to get from the old stalls to the new stalls, you would need to drive back out to Devlin Road.

Bruce.
No not true, you just drive in from Devlin road and take the driveway to the right. If you are in the area where the existing superchargers are you just drive around to the left and back in to the new units.

As Bruce notes, in much of the world back in parking is normal. Back in Superchargers are here to stay. And the parking stops will prevent you from going to far.
They've been skimping on the parking stops lately which I think will cause them problems in the long run. I actually have seen bollards that were clearly backed into and damaged (not to mention the damage to the Tesla itself). Anyways, let's get back on topic!

In some (many?) other parts of the world, it’s normal to back in to parking. You may as well get used to it because a number of Suoercharger sites are designed this way. Since getting a Tesla I’ve found my back in parking skills have improved considerably.

But I know of no Supercharger where both back in and head in parking work. The cables aren’t that long and they end up on the wrong side of the car anyway.

Bruce.

Bruce.

I think Dublin, CA would be one of the exceptions unless you mean both at the very same stall.

I believe anyone who tries back in parking for a month will prefer it to back out parking. To me, it is the easier way to park (given the camera - lines or no lines), and it is the easier way to get out.
Looking at most of the folks that do it, it seems like it's more about being different. You can get used to just about anything but I mean you spend the vast majority of your time driving and navigating the vehicle moving forward. It's just easier and more natural and then when you do have to back out you're backing out into a larger and normally less obstructed space. When ICE vehicles do it on rare occasion they kill some plants and on even more rare occasions start fires.