Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Napa, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at most of the folks that do it, it seems like it's more about being different. You can get used to just about anything but I mean you spend the vast majority of your time driving and navigating the vehicle moving forward. It's just easier and more natural and then when you do have to back out you're backing out into a larger and normally less obstructed space. When ICE vehicles do it on rare occasion they kill some plants and on even more rare occasions start fires.

I got used to back-in parking in my ICE SUV days. I found it easier to park a 4-wheel drive vehicle back-in than front-in. And definitely safer when leaving the spot since the back of the vehicle was so long. And that was before rear cameras were a thing. With the hi-res camera, huge screen, and the lines, back-in parking is a breeze in my S.

15107630-509E-4C6E-A16B-0C576A64D854.jpeg

All 12 shows up on the car maps, 4 indicates being occupied, new chargers still down

I wonder if they still plan on adding a downtown Supercharger or is this expansion it?

OH, I hope not! They would be always ICEd or blocked by charged Teslas with owners wandering around or eating or dawdling. Superchargers are for travelers. Not for local charging. The Napa supercharger is perfect: Out of town, on the way to main freeways, no reason to wander away from your car. If you're in Napa, you've arrived. Go find a Tesla destination charger (several at some of the upvalley stops, some right in Napa).

Looking at most of the folks that do it, it seems like it's more about being different. You can get used to just about anything but I mean you spend the vast majority of your time driving and navigating the vehicle moving forward. It's just easier and more natural and then when you do have to back out you're backing out into a larger and normally less obstructed space. When ICE vehicles do it on rare occasion they kill some plants and on even more rare occasions start fires.

Backing up is a skill drivers are supposed to have, though I know several people who will drive around a parking lot looking for two unused spaces they can pull through, and not need to back. It's sort of like changing a tire. "Oh, most of our time is spent driving on good tires." It's still safer to back in and pull out, as the driver is able to see oncoming traffic better.

It sounds like many of us need to practice backing up now and then. Thanks, Tesla!

For those going to Napa here is a tutorial a few "Napa Valley Insiders" helped put together for a day of wine tasting in the Napa Valley. Enjoy.

Route Planning: Using EVTO with Tesla’s Navigation System
Yay! Just in time for my Model 3!

We charged yesterday at Corning while doing a 350 mi RT visit with friends. Only needed a few miles so I would feel safe returning through the Clearlake hills, but the charges showing are like less than $2. Tesla seems to only charge for electricity, which is no worse than charging at home.

Being so close to Napa, I have never used the Napa chargers. Superchargers are for trips, for me. Planning to head to Canada/Idaho in August. Still, we stay with relatives or at motels that have 14-50s rather than supercharge everything. Motels don't charge extra for using their RV plugs, and relatives seem not to mind.

That said, We'll be taking the Cruiser, which has free supercharging. Pretty cheap travel.