Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Napa, CA (EXPANDED Jun 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to see the Supercharger team picked another winner location, though it's not always evident when the SC is first fired up. How much expansion could happen at this site? Always thinking ahead to Model 3 rollout, likely by year end as Freemont retooling 2/18/ to 2/28 for the Model 3 production line.

I charged here today. Tried 3 different stalls...each maxed at 50kw or less. Pretty said to wait nearly two hours to charge from 10% to 90%. I called Tesla and confirmed all stalls are running at reduced rates. Ugh. This is becoming WAY too common.

How was the weather? Must not be too hot at this time of the year.. did Tesla indicate why the reduced rates?

I charged here today. Tried 3 different stalls...each maxed at 50kw or less. Pretty said to wait nearly two hours to charge from 10% to 90%. I called Tesla and confirmed all stalls are running at reduced rates. Ugh. This is becoming WAY too common.
I noticed that last Saturday too. It started around 100 kW and then after a few minutes dropped to around 50 kW. I only needed about 20% increase to make it home so no big deal. I charged there on Friday night and went from 55% SoC to 90% so I thought the 56 kW I was getting was appropriate for the SoC I was at.

They gave me the excuse that it was a utility issue, hot ambient temp (it was 70 degrees), and even that I was "running the A/C in the car which causes the charge rate to be reduced". It is just the same BS I get at nearly every supercharger where I sit for two hours to charge. It happened at a majority of the superchargers I've been to in the past six months. (Including Centralia WA, Woodburn, OR, Springfield OR, Grants Pass OR, Corning CA, Folsom #2 CA, Napa CA, Ukiah CA, Eureka CA, Bandon OR, Lincoln City OR, Seaside OR, Ellensburg WA, Coeur d'Alene ID). I just don't understand why this has become so prevalent lately.

Heck, the one in Woodburn, OR even had notes taped to the superchargers stating that some did not work at all (two stalls) and all others have a severely reduced charge rate. They were dated two weeks prior to my arrival. Whoever left those must've been pissed to put in that much effort. I called it into Tesla, and they said a tech was there the day before and had repaired everything, so I tried one of the stalls labeled broken. It was still broken. I switched to one that was working (reduced), and got 48kw max at a 15% SOC. So.....nothing had been repaired.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus
There were a lot of power outages in the Napa area the last couple of days, but the location is far enough south it's probably ok. If the winds shift again and more people need to evacuate stay away from it as it's in a critical location for those people.

If you don't need it, probably better to leave it open for others anyway.

I agree with this. I am in south Napa and have not lost power so its probably still running just fine. However if people need to leave, including myself, the supercharger will be a valuable tool in getting as far away as possible. I thought about stopping by yesterday just to be prepared and worried about how busy it might be. Luckily I have had time and power to charge my car at home yesterday.

If you do not need to use this supercharger please dont. It would be terrible if someone needed it to evacuate and it was either full or not charging at full capacity.

I was thinking about this location the other day when listening to the news. As with cellphones in a potential wildfire area, probably a very good idea to keep both charged when you are home never knowing if you'll need to leave quickly and want a full charge. Hope all of you in this area will stay safe. The videos are heartbreaking to watch and so many affected. We are over 100 miles from this area all the way south of San Jose and with the winds changing up there today blowing south I walked out the door at lunch time and got smacked in the face with a smoke smell and really bad air quality. Could barely see the valley mountains near us. It was sunny but the smoke really cut out a lot of the sun. I can't imagine what it's like for you guys living so close to the wildfires. We've had wildfires near us on a few occasions but never moving towards us and for any length of time with the smoke thanks to the wind patttern.

BTW people should know that those surgical masks and regular dust masks don't work for smoke like this. You need something that will filter out more particulate matter: https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/Pubs/334-353.pdf Remember what you breath in stays in for the most part. Don't damage your lungs. Might be wise to have some of the masks in your car. And if you have the Biodefense on your car, use it. We found it cleared out the smoke smell in our car when we were traveling past all the wildfires along 101 on the Central Coast.

Ive been seeing 30KW at that station for a while now. It seems like it will randomly be good or bad. Stalls dont seem to make a difference. Not sure whats up with it lately. When it was first installed it was one of the best. Might be time to get a technician out there and see whats going on with it?

I was there tiday. Construction has begun on new stalls at Napa!
76469694-B341-44F2-A972-4AEA8A3F2064.jpeg

EA944E8C-635D-4854-90E5-1D882853E761.jpeg

Attachments

• B1AD061C-722F-4C53-8988-C31B5449711A.jpeg
    B1AD061C-722F-4C53-8988-C31B5449711A.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 67