Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brentwood / Nashville, TN (Old Hickory Blvd)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla went to the Nashville Board of Zoning Appeals on September 5, 2019 requesting a variance to the parking requirements to install a charging station in the parking lot of the Target at 780 Old Hickory Blvd. If you go to the BZA tracker map, it has details:

NO PERMIT STARTED. PARKING STUDY STILL NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED.INSTALLING 12 SUPERCHARGERS (EV FAST CHARGERS) AND 4 LOWER-POWERED CHARGE POINT L2 CHARGERS. THE ISSUE IS THAT THE SUPERCHARGERS REQUIRE SEVERAL LARGE PIECES OF EQUIPMENT TO BE ABLE TO CHARGE CARS SO QUICKLY (15-30 MIN). THE ONLY AREA THAT MAKES SENSE WOULD REQUIRE US TO PUT THE EQUIPMENT IN 4 EXISTING STALLS. THE PARKING LOT HAS EXACTLY THE NUMBER OF SPACES REQUIRED AND THEREFORE WE WOULD NEED A VARIANCE IN ORDER TO USE 4 OF THE PARKING SPACES FOR EQUIPMENT.

The BZA action was "Granted".

I don't even live near Nashville, but wouldn't it make MUCH more sense to install one north of Nashville on 24 for those passing through? Seems like having 3 Superchargers on 1 route is a little overkill at this time.

I don't even live near Nashville, but wouldn't it make MUCH more sense to install one north of Nashville on 24 for those passing through? Seems like having 3 Superchargers on 1 route is a little overkill at this time.
This one will "replace" the existing one in Brentwood at the Service Center. Tesla will de-list that existing one so that people aren't directed to it anymore and will then be able to fully monopolize the use for internal company charging needs, i.e. cars in for repairs and new deliveries.

Nashville - Brentwood, TN

Along Primary Interstates: I-65
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-31, US-431
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-65

To: Bowling Green, KY - 72.4 miles
Diversion: 0.6 miles
To: Louisville, KY - 182 miles

Adds more stalls near Nashville along I-65, away from the service center.

This one will "replace" the existing one in Brentwood at the Service Center. Tesla will de-list that existing one so that people aren't directed to it anymore and will then be able to fully monopolize the use for internal company charging needs, i.e. cars in for repairs and new deliveries.

Just curious: do you know this, or is it speculation? It makes some sense, but 6 SC pedestals seems like a lot to reserve for dealer use.

Just curious: do you know this, or is it speculation? It makes some sense, but 6 SC pedestals seems like a lot to reserve for dealer use.
Well, I don't have any firm information direct from Tesla that this is their plan, so I guess speculation. But really it's more deduction than pure speculation, as this has clearly been Tesla's policy over the past few years. They've already done it at a number of superchargers that are co-located with service centers in other parts of the country. It's not that they necessarily need the full 6 chargers. They might be able to get by fine with 2 or 4. But the challenge of rotating cars through without delays when the public is also trying to make use of them is very burdensome. Plus they end up having to deal with a lot of really annoyed owners complaining about being made to wait for stalls. And this only gets worse and worse as more cars are sold in the area.

BTW, Tesla has also stopped building publicly available superchargers at new service centers for this same reason.

Reactions: dhanson865
Thanks, that makes sense. You're certainly right that those chargers are miserably crowded and tricky to access.

I wonder if it will be like the old downtown Chicago location, where the chargers aren't really restricted, but Tesla doesn't acknowledge them publicly.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
This is now called "Nashville - Old Hickory Blvd, TN" in supercharge.info. When Tesla comes up with a name, we will fix it to match Tesla.

"Nashville - Brentwood, TN" is what Tesla calls the supercharger at the service center.

upload_2019-11-26_17-15-21.png