Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nashville / Brentwood, TN (SC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip Planner hasn't figured out how to get there from Atlanta yet...

2015-07-09 20.03.56.jpg

Recent Experience Lex to Nash

Yeah, that part of Kentucky is sadly lacking in any sort of >40 amp charging infrastructure and the 40 amp is at campgrounds.

It adds a lot of miles so you'll probably still take your ICE but if you are dead set on taking the Tesla you can go I-40 East to Knoxville, then I-75 north to London then Lexington. Longest leg is 180 miles from Nashville supercharger to Knoxville supercharger and during that stretch you pass 4 cracker barrels with chademo Blink units that may work if you have the adapter.

It adds a lot of miles and time on the trip but the last two supercharger hops are 64 miles each so you don't have to worry about charging long at all in Knoxville or London.

EV Trip Planner (id=dtz2 for the Nashville to Lexington trip via Knoxville)

Agree that driving through Knoxville to get to Lexington seems unreasonable, although it is possible.

Can note that we recently drove from Lexington to Nashville over the Father's Day weekend with only a 2 hour stop at the E-town campgrounds. (Wife and one kid with a fair amount of luggage in an "old" Feb 2013 Tesla.) Only really needed to stop an hour as I arrived in Brentwood (near the now open Service Center/Supercharger) with about 50 Rated left. Going the other direction, though, I think you would need the full 2 hours at E-Town b/c of the increase in elevation.

Another option that is possible, is to drive more back-roads to London, KY directly without going to Knoxville. Do not have any experience with that, but shaves off a few miles, and you may be driving slower which will decrease your Wh/mi. Total travel time-wise, it would probably be a wash compared to a 2 hour stop in E-town, but you wouldn't depend on having an open campgroud spot. Anyone out there tried that?

Agree that driving through Knoxville to get to Lexington seems unreasonable, although it is possible.

Can note that we recently drove from Lexington to Nashville over the Father's Day weekend with only a 2 hour stop at the E-town campgrounds. (Wife and one kid with a fair amount of luggage in an "old" Feb 2013 Tesla.) Only really needed to stop an hour as I arrived in Brentwood (near the now open Service Center/Supercharger) with about 50 Rated left. Going the other direction, though, I think you would need the full 2 hours at E-Town b/c of the increase in elevation.

Another option that is possible, is to drive more back-roads to London, KY directly without going to Knoxville. Do not have any experience with that, but shaves off a few miles, and you may be driving slower which will decrease your Wh/mi. Total travel time-wise, it would probably be a wash compared to a 2 hour stop in E-town, but you wouldn't depend on having an open campgroud spot. Anyone out there tried that?

evtriplanner and plugshare research I did showed the back roads as a worse option. More direct route takes longer and has no backup charging options if you guess wrong on the amount of charge you'll need to take that route.

I wouldn't wish L1 charging in the middle of nowhere Kentucky on anyone.

About to make my first journey to the Nashville Supercharger! Will be there between 230-3 today, then again Sunday morning.
meanwhile, I ordered a Chademo. While there's none in KY, there are at least 2 in the Rivergate section of Nashville, which appears to be about 30 miles north of the current SC. So, 20 minute charge there and (hopefully) will make it to Lexington. Hopefully, the Nashville SC will make it to the nav and to EVTripPlanner by next weekend, so I can plan that trip.

DrumCoder - I believe it is already working correctly in the NAV. I routed back from Atlanta yesterday and it worked perfectly - assuming you stop in Chattanooga. Did you make sure to "route through superchargers"?

Yes. I also did a trip from Atlanta to Bowling Green, Ky, and it routed me through the Nashville Supercharger but completely skipped the Chattanooga one.

I did this the first night, so I thought it might have been a glitch. I just got the .251 update so I just went out and tried it again, and got the same result. However, I think I know why. My home is considered 182 miles from the Nashville Supercharger, which is as the crow flies. Since this is within my range, it doesn't feel the need to route me through Chattanooga, and it doesn't realize that on roads I can't make it without Chattanooga. I bet if I tried from Atlanta (25 miles further south) or tried it with less range on my battery, it would route me through Chattanooga.

About to make my first journey to the Nashville Supercharger! Will be there between 230-3 today, then again Sunday morning.
meanwhile, I ordered a Chademo. While there's none in KY, there are at least 2 in the Rivergate section of Nashville, which appears to be about 30 miles north of the current SC. So, 20 minute charge there and (hopefully) will make it to Lexington. Hopefully, the Nashville SC will make it to the nav and to EVTripPlanner by next weekend, so I can plan that trip.

Stopped at Rivergate Nissan, very nice folks were glad to let me charge. Gained back my 30 miles, made it to Lexington with 44 miles left (and with some seriously fast driving on the Kentucky Parkway but also ~20 miles of 40 mph construction zone on I65 north of Bowling Green).

So it's doable. Next, home with about 250 additional pounds.

I'm in St. Louis - got the same email - all I could think was - "But I can't get there without Paducah... *harumph*" :confused: Though I am looking forward to checking it out on my drive to FL this winter.

Wouldn't Sikeston, MO be even better than Paducah? It would be within range of three existing superchargers (St. Louis, Effingham, and Nashville). It would be the bridge between St Louis and Nashville, and also open up Memphis and the rest of West Tennessee throught St. Louis or Effingham to Chicago and the rest of the upper midwest.

Wouldn't Sikeston, MO be even better than Paducah? It would be within range of three existing superchargers (St. Louis, Effingham, and Nashville). It would be the bridge between St Louis and Nashville, and also open up Memphis and the rest of West Tennessee throught St. Louis or Effingham to Chicago and the rest of the upper midwest.

Actually, I would vote for both Paducah (or Metropolis, IL) as well as Sikeston or Cape Girardeau, MO! I guess when I think of going southeast out of STL, I think of heading east on 64 to Mt. Vernon, then turning southerly on 57/24 as opposed to south on 55 and then cutting over. But I would love to get to Memphis (can anyone say Rendezvous?) and Little Rock too, and the 55 route in southern MO needs some supercharging for sure!

I admit, I want them all and I want them now! :rolleyes:

Actually, I would vote for both Paducah (or Metropolis, IL) as well as Sikeston or Cape Girardeau, MO! I guess when I think of going southeast out of STL, I think of heading east on 64 to Mt. Vernon, then turning southerly on 57/24 as opposed to south on 55 and then cutting over. But I would love to get to Memphis (can anyone say Rendezvous?) and Little Rock too, and the 55 route in southern MO needs some supercharging for sure!

I admit, I want them all and I want them now! :rolleyes:

Hey, this discussion brings back memories! I grew up in Metropolis, worked as a Union Laborer building I-24, and the big city was Paducah...

The math that I learned in Metropolis High School became the basis of my science and engineering education that bought my Teslas. :biggrin:

I would love to see a Metropolis Supercharger!!!

I'm in St. Louis - got the same email

I'm not concerned that I didn't receive this e-mail, but it sure does make my engineering brain wonder how they determine who to send those announcements to. :frown:

Wouldn't Sikeston, MO be even better than Paducah?

I would be happy with Sikeston, Paducah, Metropolis, Marion, Cape Girar-de-par-du*, or Evansville... anything that allows me to get from St Louis to Nashville. Ideally it would be something along the I-57/I-24 route, but ultimately I think a couple of those spots will have Superchargers eventually, so until then I'll take what I can get.

*Couldn't resist. :)

Last edited:
Getting a charger bay at Brentwood is becoming challenging with all the Model 3 deliveries.

3csAbwK9RNLkRG78A
That location has regularly had an issue with employees storing new vehicles in the charging slots. I wish they would stop, but the place has a pretty small parking lot. Need another location. Or 3 more.

That location has regularly had an issue with employees storing new vehicles in the charging slots. I wish they would stop, but the place has a pretty small parking lot. Need another location. Or 3 more.

I was there one Saturday morning before the showroom was open and somebody was rotating Model 3's through the Superchargers. Was glad that I got to charge.