TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - National Harbor, MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by CHRGIT, Jul 10, 2017.

1. zambono

zambono Active Member

As soon as Springfield is open there will be no need to stop at National Harbor and bother with their parking fees.

• Like x 3
  2. Bumper

Bumper Member

3. Ride Long

Ride Long Member

It had been a while since I was through this part of the community so it was time to be reminded what a shitty experience visiting National Harbor can be. It did not disappoint.

There is no access from the south (I was driving up from La Plata) and all traffic is dumped into one pattern coming from I-495. Since this development's bread & butter are conventioneers and meeting attendees it wants no part of the community that more/less surrounds it. The street grid is congested at noon on a Sunday, with multiple one-way streets and random lot closure signs. I missed my approach into the Tesla lot (my bad) the first time and had to essentially circle the city-center area again to return.

12 Superchargers up & running with perhaps 8-9 in use. I stayed with my car to avoid the parking charges on a short visit and left ASAP when I had minimal charge to get home.

The bottom line is that this area is so congested/expensive/annoying that it should go to the bottom of your list of places to charge and only used as a 'Plan B' if something goes awry. With more SCs opening every month I trust it will be a long time before I visit again.

• Informative x 1
  4. MacGreiner

Agreed. I was sure that with all the apartment dwelling well-to-dos around DC that there would be several urban chargers slated for installation.

5. Josh.md.us

Josh.md.us Member

I'm heading to National Harbor for an event this weekend and decided to read up on the parking situation. (Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.) I was surprised to discover that on the Tesla lot parking page of the National Harbor Web site it says "Important Note: The Tesla Lot will be closing at the end of October 2018."

I know the "pay to charge" is an irritant to most of us, but it'll still be a bummer if these charging stations aren't relocated and just disappear.

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Not surprised National Harbour is a money grubbing operation and the free chargers must be cutting into their parking lot revenue.
    There are much better options for a charging location. SSE DC is a rough area even with the National Harbour “glitz”, especially after hours.

7. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I think this is a good move, I imagine too many Tesla owners were pissed to find this was a pay to charge location when they arrived.

8. Josh.md.us

Josh.md.us Member

I agree it's a good move as long as it gets relocated. The current pay-for-parking is better than nothing but it's not as good as free parking.

• Like x 1
  9. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

I just called National Harbor for more information and spoke with Brandon, the parking manager.

Lot F, aka the Tesla lot, has been sold to a hotel developer. The property gets handed over to the construction company on November 1st.

Peterson Companies is working with Tesla to have the Superchargers relocated to the 1st level of the Fleet Street garage, located directly across Waterfront Street from the current Supercharger location. Brandon indicated that the situation is in Tesla's hands, as they're the ones who need to obtain the necessary permits and do the construction. It could take a while before the National Harbor Supercharger is up and running again.

• Informative x 8
  10. 3PHASE

3PHASE 3PHASE

The optional (for some who chose to chance it) parking fee will now be mandatory.

11. Lanny

Lanny ~

Fleet_Garage_01.jpg
    The Fleet Garage in National Harbor where Superchargers are reportedly planned to be installed.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. theflyer

theflyer Member

As of yesterday, the superchargers are still open.

13. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

#293 CHRGIT, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    The link for Tesla parking at National Harbor is no longer working.

From Miss Utility. Looks like something is happening at a parking garage.

DIG SITE INFORMATION

Type of Work: INST UG LINE
    Work Being Done For: TESLA
    Explosives: N
    Permit:
    MDOT Permit:
    Job Number:

DIG SITE LOCATION

State: MD
    County: PRINCE GEORGES
    Place: OXON HILL
    Subdivision:
    Address:
    Street: POTOMAC PASSAGE
    Intersecting Street: FLEET ST
    Extent of Work: MARK A 50FT RADIUS OF THE PARKING GARAGE LOCATED ON THE NE CORNER OF THE ABOVE INTERSECTION

• Informative x 2
  14. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

It's good to see the permit for the parking garage has already been pulled. I posted about the move to the Fleet Street garage a few days ago Supercharger - National Harbor, MD

15. Nornagest

Nornagest Member

Chargers still open as of today.

• Helpful x 1
  16. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

And still open as of Saturday November 24th - no sign of construction/decommissioning this site and still listed on the in-car supercharger locations.

17. zambono

zambono Active Member

Charged in them on Sunday, no sign that states they will be decommissioned. I charge regularly now in Springfield.

• Informative x 1
  18. Lanny

Lanny ~

PlugInSitesFleetGarage2b.jpg

Construction's begun for the National Harbor Supercharger relocation to the Fleet Garage.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  19. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

42C77292-0706-4B88-AFF4-5CD93811BBB5.png Looks like off line.

20. Lanny

Lanny ~

350B049A-525D-4C0B-A176-3C0C37413B50.jpeg
    National Harbor. @ironwaffle and I were there this morning and the power is off.

• Informative x 3