Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - National Harbor, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question in general: what SuC openings have ‘ribbon cuttings’?
In my experience there is no overall strategy to which have openings. It likely depends on the unique elements of each location. For National Harbor, it is clear to me that this Tesla-only lot is part of their overall brand strategy, so it makes sense that NH would organize a formal event. I suspect they'll make a pretty big deal out of it Tuesday.

I attended the Charlottesville event a couple weeks ago and it sort of felt thrown together, but at least it happened.

I suspect as the rollout of city-based charging picks up, you'll see more venues trying to call attention to the fact that they know have Tesla chargers. As a result, I think you'll see the host sites doing more events like NH. I think it'll always be more the exception than the rule however.

I'm hoping to attend Tuesday morning but have to reschedule something at work.

Just saw this location, about 12 stalls but also another 4 or so spots which you can pay the meter. Does anybody know if the Teslas will have to pay the parking fee while charging? If that is the case they should have installed them in the open space by the McDonalds right before you get to the harbor. Easier in an out as well.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I think they should of removed the "30 minute" sign notation if it's Tesla only. As for ICE'ing, I think management will be pretty aggressive with not letting that get out of control. It's going to be tough though because it's such a premium spot.

I see they are still going to charge for parking, such idiocy at National Harbor. They are pretty good about enforcement there so those who Ice will probably get tickets and towed. National Harbor parking used to be $3 an hour and I thought that was ridiculous, recently they bumped it to $6. If you are a patron at any of the establishments in the area parking should be comped but that is not happening as of yet. The area has poor public transit and you are pretty much obliged to drive there and then forced to park and pay. I rather cross the bridge and go to Old Town where I can park in the street for free.

Confirming again the ribbon-cutting tomorrow (Tuesday the 3rd) at 10 a.m. Try to arrive by 9:45. Let's make a good show of it.

My contact once again reiterated that the entire lot requires payment, even charging. They are open to additional feedback as operations get underway. Given the signage, I suspect you will be able to get away without paying if you stay with the car, but that will be up to each person and how much potential hassle they want to risk/endure.

They like to control things down there, including events. The timing of this lends itself to this (people who are not retired are working at this time). They did not put the recent Fox 5 Zip Trip on their calendar, for example. I think some would like an official statement coming from NH about this. From this post, it looks more like a private event.

They like to control things down there, including events. The timing of this lends itself to this (people who are not retired are working at this time). They did not put the recent Fox 5 Zip Trip on their calendar, for example. I think some would like an official statement coming from NH about this. From this post, it looks more like a private event.
I think that you're absolutely right; however, I still plan to crash the party if for nothing else just to see one of these events. It would be nice to have an official invitation, though!

It is officially open! @BlueShift

IMG_3813.jpg

For the rest of us working stiffs who aren't able to make it to the media/hospitality event being planned for Tuesday, there's a group of owners meeting at the Supercharger at Noon on Sunday. @TeslaRoadTrip is teasing some important information this week too.

Confirming again the ribbon-cutting tomorrow (Tuesday the 3rd) at 10 a.m. Try to arrive by 9:45. Let's make a good show of it.

My contact once again reiterated that the entire lot requires payment, even charging. They are open to additional feedback as operations get underway. Given the signage, I suspect you will be able to get away without paying if you stay with the car, but that will be up to each person and how much potential hassle they want to risk/endure.
Please tell your contact that charging to enter a lot for "free" supercharging is ridiculous. I would be super pissed if I needed a charge and had to pay to do so. I was thinking of heading down to check it out but not if I have to pay to even enter the lot.

Reactions: jaguar36
Please tell your contact that charging to enter a lot for "free" supercharging is ridiculous. I would be super pissed if I needed a charge and had to pay to do so. I was thinking of heading down to check it out but not if I have to pay to even enter the lot.

The vast majority of Tesla owners will never have free supercharging. It is NH's lot and they can do as they wish. All parking at NH costs $s. There are other Superchargers in lots that charge for parking, so this isn't completely unheard of.

You can choose to charge elsewhere if you wish. It is the through travelers that I think will be surprised and I've made it clear to NH that could cause some bad press.

$6 isn't going to kill anyone who can afford a $100k car. I think we'll all get over it.

The vast majority of Tesla owners will never have free supercharging. It is NH's lot and they can do as they wish. All parking at NH costs $s. There are other Superchargers in lots that charge for parking, so this isn't completely unheard of.

You can choose to charge elsewhere if you wish. It is the through travelers that I think will be surprised and I've made it clear to NH that could cause some bad press.

$6 isn't going to kill anyone who can afford a $100k car. I think we'll all get over it.
Prior to three weeks ago there was literally one supercharger in North America that charged for parking (Birmingham, Alabama of all places) and even there you could get your parking ticket validated if you were a customer at any of the local businesses. 3 weeks ago they started the urban supercharger thing in Chicago and Boston, but this NH supercharger is not designed as one of those, so paying $6 to use it is unusual.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Prior to three weeks ago there was literally one supercharger in North America that charged for parking (Birmingham, Alabama of all places) and even there you could get your parking ticket validated if you were a customer at any of the local businesses. 3 weeks ago they started the urban supercharger thing in Chicago and Boston, but this NH supercharger is not designed as one of those, so paying $6 to use it is unusual.

Agreed it is unusual, but it probably won't be there last. I was at a charger in the Midwest somewhere that was in a parking garage. I think the first hour was free, but it was still a pay lot. I suspect many people have had to pay to get out of the Savannah airport lot.

As I said in my earlier post, I suspect you will be able to get away with a 20 or 30 minute charge without paying. There is no gate (currently). You pay at a kiosk and put the slip on your dash. So, by default you have to park first. How long they will give you to saunter over to the kiosk and return is anyone's guess. On top of that, it seems the Supercharger stalls do not have the same signage that says payment is required, so those inclined to challenge the system would have a wedge they could use.

We'll all get a feel for what will and won't be allowed in the coming weeks.