Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portland, OR - N. Pavilion Ave. (LIVE Jul 2023, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

I found a document from HFF in which the company expressed an interest in terms of installing Superchargers at the Jantzen Beach Center. The company was thinking of installing the Superchargers in a vacant lot west of the Burlington’s (pictured), although I don’t exactly know why Tesla would install Superchargers in a vacant lot, already surrounded by parking spaces. The document is from 2017, which would generally be too far back to judge a permit dot, although it was HFF who expressed interest in this project, not Tesla, and hopefully they take interest in using this location for the Northeast Portland Supercharger. I guess we’ll see.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?BBArgs=SarkgJ1mkBkMbxvt_Un3S2sp2F3UPklup3D08LCMYjW18GOE
C41FB169-A008-47C1-ABAC-559D9CD03CAD.jpeg
DF6D3A0C-325E-43D5-9593-2B80F6B290BD.jpeg

Tesla needs to put a SC somewhere around Portland. They are missing out on a lot of sales from apt dwellers.
What are you talking about? There's one in...[checks notes] Tigard!

[whispers to person behind him] Where's Tigard?

But seriously, there's not even one in downtown Seattle that you don't have to pay extra to park at, and we have many many apartments and condos, as the denizens of Ballard can tell you (if their condo overlords allow them to). Even downtown LA and SF only have 1 supercharger each and that for only 72 kW stalls. The real estate is just too valuable.

• Funny
Reactions: LoudMusic
What are you talking about? There's one in...[checks notes] Tigard!

[whispers to person behind him] Where's Tigard?

But seriously, there's not even one in downtown Seattle that you don't have to pay extra to park at, and we have many many apartments and condos, as the denizens of Ballard can tell you (if their condo overlords allow them to). Even downtown LA and SF only have 1 supercharger each and that for only 72 kW stalls. The real estate is just too valuable.

Those are not SC those are HPWC.

Honestly, the purpose of Superchargers is not to serve those who cannot charge at home. It is to serve road trippers. That is why most Superchargers are NOT in urban areas, but on the outskirts and along major highways.

Get with the times duder. Tesla has been putting SC in cities for years, it's just happening slower due to lack of property to put them.

"Tesla is building a new version of its high-speed Supercharger stations in cities to make it easier for apartment dwellers to own Tesla cars, CEO Elon Musk said Tuesday."

Resurrecting this because Marco (the original poster of this thread) tracked down a permit for a Jantzen Beach supercharger, here:

The part about 601-1000 Amps in the permit application seems to limit the stall count. I found elsewhere someone calculating a V3 stall pulls 301 Amps at 250 kW. Assuming not all four stalls in a V3 clump are simultaneously pulling full power, does that mean this would only have 4 stalls? I defer to someone with more electrical knowledge.

The part about 601-1000 Amps in the permit application seems to limit the stall count. I found elsewhere someone calculating a V3 stall pulls 301 Amps at 250 kW. Assuming not all four stalls in a V3 clump are simultaneously pulling full power, does that mean this would only have 4 stalls? I defer to someone with more electrical knowledge.
I believe that would most likely mean a 500 KVA transformer, which is good for 2 cabinets/8 stalls. However, there have been some 3 cabinet/12 stall sites with a 500KVA transformer. Less than ideal, though.

One V3 cabinet hooks up to a 600 amp main circuit. 1000 amp switchgear would typically support two V3 cabinets. I say typically because Tesla can always install more cabinets/stalls and limit the entire site to whatever power is available (example: Aiea, HI).

It’s important to remember that V3 sites cannot output 250 kW to all four stalls simultaneously. The maximum grid input for each cabinet is just shy of 400 kW.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
In the description of work it clearly states 1000 amp service so no need to speculate on where this site falls in the 601-1000 range. Interesting that it doesn’t actually list the site address but gives directions.

Also, i wouldn’t consider this NE Portland.

IVR for this permit is 4847659. Applied 9/15, currently under review.

Found what I believe is a related permit:

Address is 12154 N PAVILION AVE, 97217 (Jimmy John’s). Applied 10/5, currently under review. IVR is 4854177. This is for a permit to replace 3 parking spaces with EV charging equipment. Applicant GPD group, Ian Russel with Blackstone as contractor.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Is this site different from the Jantzen Beach Center location?

Is this site different from the Jantzen Beach Center location?

Looks like the same thing to me. It's been a long time since I've been in that area - not the first place that comes to mind for a supercharger, but I guess it works.

Yes, it is the same. A search for the address did not result in any results, nor one for Hayden Island so I created a new post. (Even though I had already posted in this thread, doh!) It will be interesting to see how this one is named.

It looks like either Marco removed the address from the version of the permit he posted, or it was updated later with the address.

Yes, it is the same. A search for the address did not result in any results, nor one for Hayden Island so I created a new post. (Even though I had already posted in this thread, doh!) It will be interesting to see how this one is named.

It looks like either Marco removed the address from the version of the permit he posted, or it was updated later with the address.
I was there this last week and the undeveloped pad (furthest south one) had some locate spray markings near sidewalk / road going into gravel area (inconclusive if it's related to Tesla or not) as I didn't see any other markings done in gravel at the time, I'll be over there again in a week or two and do a other look see. I have a office across the river in downtown Vancouver so it's a 5m jaunt to go check on it.

The markings were red in color which is indicating of electrical. So it's possible!

I was there this last week and the undeveloped pad (furthest south one) had some locate spray markings near sidewalk / road going into gravel area (inconclusive if it's related to Tesla or not) as I didn't see any other markings done in gravel at the time, I'll be over there again in a week or two and do a other look see. I have a office across the river in downtown Vancouver so it's a 5m jaunt to go check on it.

The markings were red in color which is indicating of electrical. So it's possible!
There are no recent dig tickets for this area that I can find. And the electric permit is still under review so they won't start construction until that is approved and issued. Here is the Portlandmaps location for the 3 parking spot conversion permit that was issued if you want to check this area (not sure where you are checking)

1673328482233.png

Which is the same location as the pending electrical permit.
1673328727376.png

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
There are no recent dig tickets for this area that I can find. And the electric permit is still under review so they won't start construction until that is approved and issued. Here is the Portlandmaps location for the 3 parking spot conversion permit that was issued if you want to check this area (not sure where you are checking)

View attachment 894119

Which is the same location as the pending electrical permit.
View attachment 894120
This location above is where paint markings leading from the street into the area is. its on the side of where that gravel area is however near the sidewalk edge. Again there's no digging, just utility markings so far. I will go back in near term and check on this occasionally as it progresses.

This location above is where paint markings leading from the street into the area is. its on the side of where that gravel area is however near the sidewalk edge. Again there's no digging, just utility markings so far. I will go back in near term and check on this occasionally as it progresses.
First, a dig ticket is what leads to the markings. When someone wants to dig, they file a request to have utilities marked so they don’t hit something by mistake. It usually is done within a couple days of digging starting but can be done far ahead if the request is to locate only for design work. Since there has been no dig ticket filed for the last 3+ months, the markings could be old.

Second, the lot indicated on the maps above (small blue square) is completely paved so I am unsure of the gravel area you are talking about. If you mean the area to the east at the south east corner of Pavilion and Tomahawk Island then I can guarantee there isn’t a SC going there. That would be the front of a store as evidenced by the handicapped spots on two sides of the pad. Maybe the spots along pavilion to the south of the gravel pad could be feasible but you wouldn’t see marking going into the gravel if that were the case. Those markings are likely related to someone checking out building in that pad.

I don’t think you will see any marking until the electrical permit is approved and issued. Until then, if you don’t mind checking out the area then that’s great but no need to go out of your way.