Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger needed in Kanab, UT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else see a need for another Supercharger location between Page and the other southern Utah locations - Beaver, Richfield and St George? Charging in Page heading North is nice, but driving Hwy 89 is a stretch to Beaver in my S85 without adding charge overnight at a hotel with a 110v outlet, or finding a RV park or a rare public HPWC. It also removes any option of spending time between the 3 area national parks - Zion, Bryce Canyon and N Rim of Grand Canyon. Add any comments if you agree, and maybe the Supercharger planning team will add it to the 2018 map!

kane-county-visitors-center-barry-glazier-300x225.jpg

Promo-map_72924_61045-260x260.jpg

It would be nice to have one in Kanab. It might be easier to get some HPWC installed at various parks in the area. Zion park has a couple of J plugs at the visitor center already.

Reactions: Dcam
I suppose Kanab would be more generally useful but I'd like to see a Supercharger Station in Jacob Lake to make getting to the North Rim a lot easier from Page. It isn't possible for me now without charging at the RV park in Jacob Lake since I have to plan for out and back mileage and that's a lot of miles and elevation change. Kanab is closer than Page, however, so that might be doable.

Reactions: tmoz and iCAR
Agree, it’s hard to make it to/from Blanding or Farmington directly to/from Flagstaff, so Kayenta would allow acces to Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, and the entire four corners area.

The Jacob Lake location is nice, but it really only serves the N Grand Canyon access. Destination chargers in that area would be a good alternative for overnight and multi-day stays.

Maybe Tesla will contract with the same construction crew to do them together, both by the end of 2018!

Sorry It's OT but really hoping Kayenta, AZ will finally make it this year. It's been on the planned SC list since 2015...

Planning a trip to the National Parks this summer, does anyone have experience with charging their car at Ruby's while taking the Bryce Canyon Shuttle?
gree

Reactions: tmoz
My wish list would include the following: Springdale, UT (Zion W. Gateway); Bryce Canyon City (Bryce gateway); Jacob Lake (Grand Canyon N. Rim gateway); Ash Fork, Seligman, or Williams, AZ (connector between Kingman and turnoff to G.C.N.P S. Rim from west for I-40); Tusayan, AZ (Grand Canyon S. Rim S. gateway); Cameron, AZ (Grand Canyon S. Rim E. gateway, connects to Page, Kayenta and Jacob Lake); Torrey, UT (Capitol Reef W. gateway); Hanksville, UT (Connector to Blanding and Torrey, E. gateway to Capitol Reef); Kayenta, AZ (Monument Valley S. gateway); Cortez, CO (W. gateway to Mesa Verde, connects to Moab, Blanding, Kayenta, Farmington). I would also like SCs in Escalante and/or Boulder, UT, to provide access to the southern part of Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase - Escalante N.M. etc. It also wouldn't hurt to add one along U.S 89 in say Panguitch or Carmel Junction (E. Gateway to Zion, connector to Richfield etc), and another in Cedar City to provide better roundtrip access to Cedar Breaks N.M. from the west.
I've done most of these trips in an ICE, e.g. Arches to Canyonlands to Natural Bridges to Capitol Reef to Bryce to Zion, and also Arches to Zion via I-70/U.S. 89, plus Farmington - Bluff - Monument Valley - Grand Canyon S. Rim - California, so it's highly desirable for Tesla to make it possible to visit all the national parks and monuments in the area, at least the major ones for starters.

Last edited:
It sure would be nice to have a supercharger in every small town and on every corner in larger cities.
If they are to replace ICEs they'll ultimately have to have that, because that describes the ubiquity of gas stations, e.g. on Google maps searching for say "gas stations near Kanab, UT" brings up the following: Google Maps

Similar results can be found for just about any wide spot in the road.

Last edited:
If they are to replace ICEs they'll ultimately have to have that, because that describes the ubiquity of gas stations e.g. on Google maps search for say "gas stations near Mexican Water, AZ" brings up the following: Google Maps
I'll disagree. With EVs, lots of people have their own "gas stations" at home and leave for the day with a full tank. Those who live in apartments may not have charging ability while sleeping, but I think that will become an amenity that will be expected.

So I don't think we will need charging stations - certainly more than what we have today, but just a fraction of the number of gas stations.

My 2 cents.

There will always be a segment of the population that likes to travel off the tarmac onto dirt and gravel roads. Today they can take a 5-gallon can of gas to reach their remote destination and back to oil roads. In addition, there are those who like the great outdoors for driving around to see nature's wonders. They know they will reach a gas station eventually.

Gasoline is available in these remote areas--might be expensive--but it is available. As EVs become more mainstream, there will be a need for charging stations in remote communities or roadside diners or saloons smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. They may not be supercharger speeds, but they will have enough kW to be able to add a fair amount of charge in a reasonable period of time.

I think a lot will depend on what the other manufacturers develop for their charging speeds both for AC and DC. Once there is some sort of "standard" as far as potential wattage and connection, we might start seeing these installations in out-of-the-way places. Then the utilities and communities will have to figure out how to get the needed power to the charging spots.

Reactions: Don TLR
There will always be a segment of the population that likes to travel off the tarmac onto dirt and gravel roads. Today they can take a 5-gallon can of gas to reach their remote destination and back to oil roads. In addition, there are those who like the great outdoors for driving around to see nature's wonders. They know they will reach a gas station eventually.

Gasoline is available in these remote areas--might be expensive--but it is available. As EVs become more mainstream, there will be a need for charging stations in remote communities or roadside diners or saloons smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. They may not be supercharger speeds, but they will have enough kW to be able to add a fair amount of charge in a reasonable period of time.

I think a lot will depend on what the other manufacturers develop for their charging speeds both for AC and DC. Once there is some sort of "standard" as far as potential wattage and connection, we might start seeing these installations in out-of-the-way places. Then the utilities and communities will have to figure out how to get the needed power to the charging spots.
As an active outdoorsy type, the bolded section describes me. On interstates, I can pretty much count on there being a gas station every 30 miles or so, eliminating any need for planning. Even on the often remote roads I drive, I can expect any decent-sized town to have at least one gas station, and my ICE has a much greater real-world range than current BEVs in any case (with the ability to carry extra range portably as noted above), so it's less of an issue. I can remember driving somewhere (can't remember where I was now) in the back of beyond one night and seeing a sign that read "Next Gas 108 miles", and I made sure I had enough fuel to not only get there, but also to the next point beyond it where I could get gas, or even return to the starting point.

What is very long spacing for gas stations is quite typical of the EV charging infrastructure spacing now, and in order to approach the convenience and flexibility of liquid-fueled ICEs, BEVs will ultimately need a similarly dense charging infrastructure. We'll be seeing more and more BEVs go to higher voltage packs like the Mission-E's 800V, to allow faster charging, and in remote areas PV/wind and (once it's cheap enough) battery storage will likely be the answer to avoiding demand charges at charging sites that get intermittent use.

You know what is smack dab in the middle of nowhere? Campgrounds and RV parks. It's a little of a self-solving issue. The farther you get away from bigger cities, the more of the campground facilities there are that have TT-30 and 14-50 outlets, so there are a lot of "charging stations" already out there. Check the maps on Allstays.com or RVParky.com to see how many hundreds of those there are out in the mountains and wilderness areas.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
You know what is smack dab in the middle of nowhere? Campgrounds and RV parks. It's a little of a self-solving issue. The farther you get away from bigger cities, the more of the campground facilities there are that have TT-30 and 14-50 outlets, so there are a lot of "charging stations" already out there. Check the maps on Allstays.com or RVParky.com to see how many hundreds of those there are out in the mountains and wilderness areas.
The problem of course is that these places often don't operate year-round, usually require a reservation of some sort and if you show up after-hours you are usually out of luck.

I think what will eventually happen is these places will set up 14-50 stalls for EVs that can be activated with credit card 24/7/365. It only makes sense since they already have the proper electrical setup. Just haven't quite hit the tipping point of EVs being commonplace enough to justify the cost of setting it up for the RV parks and campgrounds. I think we are getting close though.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Kanab would be great for access to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, which is about 85 miles each way, or 170 miles R/T without a charge. There are at least a couple campgrounds near the north rim with 50 or 30 amp hookups, but difficult to use because the number of sites with hookups are few and generally always occupied. Personally, I'd prioritize the Kayenta supercharger.

Reactions: dgpcolorado