Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Needles, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CA is saturated with superchargers already. If they want to increase the number of cars sold in other states, they need to put their resources into installing superchargers in other states. I know many people (in states other than CA) that will not buy a Tesla at the present time because the infrastructure for fast charging is not currently available to them.

I can see some jealously creeping in.... but with roughly 50% of U.S. Model S sales, I think CA gets to have a pass for lots and lots of Superchargers. AZ on the other hand - there better be a lot of Model S's being sold Phoenix!
:smile:

I can see some jealously creeping in.... but with roughly 50% of U.S. Model S sales, I think CA gets to have a pass for lots and lots of Superchargers. AZ on the other hand - there better be a lot of Model S's being sold Phoenix!
:smile:

Can't speak for TexasEV but it is not so much jealousy on my part as it is wonderment as to why they are placing them a few feet apart in CA and seeming to ignore the rest of the country. I think it would better serve the company to expand for general coverage of the US and then fill in with closer ones when the big picture is in place. Just not getting the logic. 20-30 well placed Superchargers could easily give us 3-4 cross country routes instead of filling in a little needed area that is already covered by something else. Please explain the logic ....

I don't think Tesla is limiting the number of superchargers on some quota, but rather its the long winding process of getting it done on today's NIMBY world.
TX-FL route just needs another SC permit to be 60 friendly.
Need to connect Chicago to TX, Chicago-Atlanta and Kansas City -> St Louis -> Cincinatti and Seattle -> Denver. But all of those routes are moving forward (always could go faster).
In two years all of this wining will be past tense, and everybody will be happy with SC coverage. And hopefully Tesla will be desperately doubling number of stalls in most SCs to accommodate for a flood of Model X on the road and much higher Model S installed base. Model S production still totally battery supply limited.
Need to convince a nationwide hotel network to provide 220V high amp (even single port would be great) in every single hotel they have to fix overnight charging when travelling (and hopefully force other hotel chains to follow suit).

Can't speak for TexasEV but it is not so much jealousy on my part as it is wonderment as to why they are placing them a few feet apart in CA and seeming to ignore the rest of the country. I think it would better serve the company to expand for general coverage of the US and then fill in with closer ones when the big picture is in place. Just not getting the logic. 20-30 well placed Superchargers could easily give us 3-4 cross country routes instead of filling in a little needed area that is already covered by something else. Please explain the logic ....

Needles is at the intersection of I40 and US95.
Needles to Barstow 149 miles. Not ideal, but Barstow - Kingman is 209 miles, which is too far and there's no other significant Intersection between the two.
Needles to Kingman 60 miles.
Needles to LV 108 miles
Needles to Quartzsite 109 miles.

Are those important routes? I don't know. But it seems to me that Needles is a good location and completes or virtually completes a section of the network in Tesla's most important market. I really don't begrudge CA getting a complete network ahead of basic provision in some other areas.

I find it interesting that, so far, only one poster in this thread is from CA, and that so many non-local people care about a SC in Needles, CA.

Why am I here? Because I read the title and thought "A SC in the desert? Really? Hey, that's Snoopy's brother's home!"

Yeah, I get that it's about travelling though an area. I'm just surprised at the number of non-local people who post in these local threads.

Superchilled Superchargers? Looking through weather data, Needles is making Phoenix seem chilly. Has hit 120ºF or greater in Jun, Jul, Aug AND Sep!!! Max +125º (52ºC)

Here are some data from Wiki:
On July 22, 2006, Needles experienced a record high low temperature, with a temperature recorded to be 100 °F (38 °C) at 6:00 AM with a high temperature exceeding 120 °F (49 °C).[SUP][6][/SUP]
On August 13, 2012, Needles experienced a thunderstorm that deposited rain at a temperature of 115 °F (46 °C) starting at 3:56 PM, setting a new record for the hottest rain in world history. The air temperature was 118 °F (48 °C), tying Needles' record high for the date. Since the humidity was only 11%, the rain evaporated so that "only a trace of precipitation was recorded in the rain gauge". Weather records researcher Maximiliano Herrera reported that this was the lowest humidity at which rain has occurred on Earth in recorded history.[SUP][7]

Oh, and yeah - I'm local: Paxson is the center of the universe, and I can prove it: EVERY other place is equally distant from here!

More seriously, my g-g grandfather's 1864-65 journal relates a harrowing tale of his barely surviving a trek to/from Los Angeles and Needles (Fort Mohave). Neat stuff.[/SUP]

I find it interesting that, so far, only one poster in this thread is from CA, and that so many non-local people care about a SC in Needles, CA.

Why am I here? Because I read the title and thought "A SC in the desert? Really? Hey, that's Snoopy's brother's home!"

Yeah, I get that it's about travelling though an area. I'm just surprised at the number of non-local people who post in these local threads.
Looking forward to not having to sweat out the Barstow/Kingman leg on my way to Tucson from Napa (yes)California.

TX-FL route just needs another SC permit to be 60 friendly.
No, it needs three more-- one on the east side of Houston (Columbus to Lake Charles is 215 miles of mostly 75-80 mph highway) and two between Baton Rouge and Defuniak Springs (325 miles). Then there are three more directions needed from the island-- north, west, and south to the Texas gulf coast. Texas is one of Tesla's largest U.S. markets (with only 3 galleries compared to California's 18 stores) but would be much bigger if there was convenient travel in several directions. When someone asks me how do I get to X, I don't have an answer for them unless X is Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. All necessary, of course, but not sufficient.

I am in Southern California and while I would rather see the cross country routes finished, I can see why Tesla is looking at places like Needles and Lone Pine. One of my first questions before buying my S 60 was "Can I take it to Vegas?". I am going to be honest, that would have been a deal breaker. Fortunately there was a Supercharger in Barstow. I have heard the same question from others too. "Can your Tesla go to Vegas?". I am happy to tell people, "Yes, there is a Supercharger in Barstow. Just charge up for an hour and off I go."

I have also heard other questions, although not as frequently. "Can you drive to San Francisco?" - YES "Can you drive to San Diego?" - YES since SJC opened "Can you drive to Mammoth?" - Not yet, but soon, and recently a friend asked me if I could drive to "the river". Those of you from So Cal will know that "the river" means the Colorado River or Laughlin, Needles, Havasu. These are popular destinations for Southern California drivers. My friend goes to the river 2-3 times a year. For him, I think getting there would be a deal breaker.

For those outside California, I think the main thing to take away from this is that Tesla is committed to making this work. They are listening to their customers and potential customers and building the Supercharger network to get people where they want to go. At the rate of build out, by the end of 2015, I think we will see most major cities in the US connected, and that is almost unbelievable.

tga: We're all in this together!!!!!