Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nepean, ON - Robertson Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep westbound on the Queensway heading towards Kanata. i also had the green light to turn left at the intersection at Moodie. All in all 25 seconds: 3:10 vs 2:45. Nothing to worry about in my book.

Far, far better for travellers passing through Ottawa to go to the Rideua Centre and then drive down three levels to the Urban Superchargers (72Kw) there. For someone coming from Montreal with a 30% SOC they would probably have to add 1.5 hours to get a charge that would take them to Deep River rather than 35-40 minutes, diversion included, to get that "fill up" in Bells Corners.

For those fans of the Rideau Centre, why would go go there unless you had business that only took less than an hour? Last year I went to pick up my race kit at the Convention Centre and was hit with a $21 idling fee. Plus parking of course which is not cheap. Plus the vagaries of Public policy which had the Rideau Centre Supercharger closed for months as a wide brush effort to stop Covid-19. But by all means if you like spending 30 mins of driving hell in the epicentre Ottawa traffic to sit in your car for an hour, to save 7 bucks from charging at home, but paying 8 bucks for parking - this is the spot for you!

Yea I had heard the rumours that Tesla was going to put a showroom in the Rideau Centre and having Superchargers was going to be a selling point - well that didn't turn out well. Plus how many people really want to go down three levels in an elevator which being right off of Rideau frequently has really sketchy people hanging out. Last time I was there, I went to the elevator bank and when the elevator opened - a dog walked out - unattended! Turns out that one of the homeless folks who somehow can support a dog, had let the dog wander into an elevator when he nodded off. Had to get security involved, but at least it was a harmless story, not like some of the stories you hear about the denizens of Rideau Street!
Tell us how you feel about supercharging at Rideau Centre.

Reactions: Lacticacid
Thanks to @cohix for the update!!

9B4AAC2F-F2D5-48D9-A551-269682F74E46.jpeg

916019BC-2F0C-42D2-BE25-5476909BEF72.jpeg

Reactions: cohix and mociaf9
Show me where they made them! Chicago O'Hare Airport opened but the permit was from a year ago. There hasn't been any. The only ones you see are off the continent like United Kingdom or Taiwan (or anywhere else). If any ever show up, then I will accept that. It just makes no more sense to put in a V2. That's probably also why the Brockville permit was removed. I am willing to bet all the "Coming Soon" locations will all be V3's with maybe the odd 72kw. That's it, that's all. Thanks.
In addition to many European or Asia/Pacific locations, North American 150 kW stations opened in 2020:
  • Chicago, IL - O'Hare
  • Big Sky, MT
  • Schertz, TX
  • Leon Springs, TX
  • Roseville, CA - Galeria Blvd.
  • Katy, TX
  • Grove City, PA
  • Chicoutimi, QC
  • Richmond, BC
Tesla has also expanded some prior existing superchargers with additional 150 kW stalls. A very recent example of this would be Ft. Drum, FL.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Don't draw that conclusion. Very few Ontario based contractors are allowed to work in Quebec due to very restrictive construction laws here. It is almost certain that the Gatineau Supercharger, whenever it comes, will be built by a Quebec based contractor. It is far more likely that the contractor building Terrebonne will do Gatineau than the contractor doing Nepean so..... Wait on we must...
Good point, unless they operate like the Federal Government which links Gatineau as the National Capital Region and therefore it would make no difference. Regardless, Gatineau Supercharger was slated before Nepean, so I really think they should get it going when they can.

In addition to many European or Asia/Pacific locations, North American 150 kW stations opened in 2020:
  • Chicago, IL - O'Hare
  • Big Sky, MT
  • Schertz, TX
  • Leon Springs, TX
  • Roseville, CA - Galeria Blvd.
  • Katy, TX
  • Grove City, PA
  • Chicoutimi, QC
  • Richmond, BC
Tesla has also expanded some prior existing superchargers with additional 150 kW stalls. A very recent example of this would be Ft. Drum, FL.
Again, I believe you failed to read my post correctly. All these are old permit superchargers!! Go back to the thread and read the posts. Out of this list you provided, the latest permit was Leon Springs, Texas (which I specifically mentioned in a previous post on this thread) was had the permit in NOVEMBER 2019. All the others on your list had a permit EARLIER than November 2019. There have been no 150kw permits in North America since November 2019 - anywhere (construction and locations opening, yes but no more permits). I already said they still make them overseas like in United Kingdom and Taiwan, etc. Respectfully, please read carefully before you post. Thank you.

Tell us how you feel about supercharging at Rideau Centre.
Hilarious story!! I dislike Rideau Centre supercharger!!! How can they give Ottawa only one supercharger and not only make it a 72kw, but put it in underground paid parking!! I've never seen paid parking for supercharger use! There might be one out in BC and less than a handful in all of USA, but it's virtually unheard off. I don't pay for supercharging, but I feel like I am paying when I go to Rideau Centre because I wouldn't go there otherwise. I don't have a realistic home charging method at the moment, so I found myself going far more often than I cared to go. In the winter, the windows would fog up upon entry and with three levels underground, you get no data on your phone, so you want to take the elevator up to the first level to use phone data. Awful.
Once Nepean's is completed, I believe the numbers going to Rideau Centre supercharger will drop significantly! Even coming from the East, I would go past Rideau Centre and go all the way to Moodie Drive and use Nepean's, then turn around and head back east. I will avoid Rideau Centre virtually indefinitely once Nepean opens. Why take an hour to charge from a 72kw paid parking location when you can allegedly charge from empty to full within 20 minutes with a 250kw for free?? Rideau Centre will just not make sense anymore. Even though traffic is no longer terrible downtown due to the pandemic, it's all the more reason to go to Nepean supercharger anyways! Rideau Centre supercharger........RIP.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
There have been no 150kw permits in North America since November 2019 - anywhere (construction and locations opening, yes but no more permits).
Ah, I see. When you said, "It can't be a V2 because they don't make them anymore in North America" and "THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE" you were using a hitherto unknown usage of the English verb "to make" to mean the act of applying for a new building permit within the last 6 months and not, as I had understood it in the context, to mean "to build" or "to construct". Clear as mud, thank you. See, I had assumed you were talking about Tesla making the V2 supercharger cabinets/hardware--which they still do--or about Tesla actually building 150 kW supercharger locations--which they still do. The fact that these locations may have originally been designed and entered the permitting process a long time ago is totally irrelevant as Tesla sometimes only gets around to actually building superchargers multiple years after passing those thresholds. And as I pointed out in this comment, there are still sites out there that Tesla will build as 150 kW locations just because they don't want to redesign them and reapply for permits and other approvals.

As this is a more general topic and isn't really about the Nepean supercharger specifically any longer, further comments will be seriously veering off topic. If you'd like me to point out a few other ways your position on this is both uninformed and illogical or you need further remedial work with English verbs, I'm willing to continue our discussion in an appropriate thread (tag me in your comment) or via DMs.

Reactions: Vawlkus
UPDATE: I spoke with the crew this afternoon. They anticipate it being ready in about a month. My guess was before Labour Day. They pretty much came from the Perth site to start Nepean's. I asked where to next? The answer is somewhere in western Ontario. That could be Orillia, Bracebridege, or even Kincardine. But this also means Gatineau is not on the horizon just yet. They are also careful not to reveal too much information. The Tesla service centers and hotline are not privy to the supercharger construction information. They don't have more information than we know.

I wonder if it’s the same crew doing Peterborough ?

Total speculation on my part here... but it seems like Peterborough and Perth were under construction at the same time. If the Perth team is now working in Ottawa there’s potentially another crew out working somewhere else in Ontario.
What??? That point makes no sense whatsoever

Ah, I see. When you said, "It can't be a V2 because they don't make them anymore in North America" and "THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE" you were using a hitherto unknown usage of the English verb "to make" to mean the act of applying for a new building permit within the last 6 months and not, as I had understood it in the context, to mean "to build" or "to construct". Clear as mud, thank you. See, I had assumed you were talking about Tesla making the V2 supercharger cabinets/hardware--which they still do--or about Tesla actually building 150 kW supercharger locations--which they still do. The fact that these locations may have originally been designed and entered the permitting process a long time ago is totally irrelevant as Tesla sometimes only gets around to actually building superchargers multiple years after passing those thresholds. And as I pointed out in this comment, there are still sites out there that Tesla will build as 150 kW locations just because they don't want to redesign them and reapply for permits and other approvals.

As this is a more general topic and isn't really about the Nepean supercharger specifically any longer, further comments will be seriously veering off topic. If you'd like me to point out a few other ways your position on this is both uninformed and illogical or you need further remedial work with English verbs, I'm willing to continue our discussion in an appropriate thread (tag me in your comment) or via DMs.
Thanks for your response. What do you refer to as "DMs"? You now understand my position yet you believe it to be illogical. It has been correct since November 2019. It just doesn't make much sense to get a permit for a 150kw when we now have 250kw (where sharing stalls don't slow down the charging, to boot). Each week we see permits and they've all been 250kw on this continent since the Leon Springs permit, with the exception of a few urban 72kw. This tied into the Nepean supercharger because someone thought it might be a 150kw. We didn't see a permit here for it. The Brockville permit seems to have disappeared. This site may not capture every permit but tell me (or us) which sites you think will be built as a 150kw out of all the "Coming Soon" planned locations in the country or on the continent. Outside of the sites you listed, I may need to double check but I don't see any other permit locations which haven't already been built. Those may very well be the last of a 150kw supercharger opening. I haven't seen any V3's go up in Quebec or the Maritimes, so it will be interesting to see their proposed locations get built. While not all permits may be captured here, the fact that each week for now eight months and counting, there has been no 150kw permits, leads one to believe more and more Tesla is pretty much done with them. Meanwhile, I hope Nepean's is ready within a month like the crew member told me. Cheers!

Lacticacid did and reported on it here.
Saw that, they mentioned that they were moving on to somewhere in western Ontario after. What isn't made clear, if the might also be working on another SC not that far away at the same time or very recently. Renfrew, Brockville, and Gatineau(all about 30-100km away) which have all been on the coming map since 2018. I was hoping one or more might be built by the same crews at the same time.

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS!!
The electric general person I spoke with today confirmed he plans to have this ready on July 27th, turn on this Supercharger on July 28th or 29th. It will shut off for probably a week until Tesla turns it back on for good. He confirmed he drove to Perth to shut off Perth supercharger as to why it's back in "Construction" mode. This is normal protocol. There was a site box issue with Perth. There are many crews and his crew will do five more in Ontario - all 250s. He confirmed Tesla is finished with 150s as I had stated in a previous post. I spoke with him at 3:00pm today and have a very unique picture - one with only five of the eight shells (covers). All eight would be covered by the end of the day.
This first
20200723_152432.jpg
picture shows the person I spoke with and he is actually putting a shell on!
20200723_152022.jpg

Don't draw that conclusion. Very few Ontario based contractors are allowed to work in Quebec due to very restrictive construction laws here. It is almost certain that the Gatineau Supercharger, whenever it comes, will be built by a Quebec based contractor. It is far more likely that the contractor building Terrebonne will do Gatineau than the contractor doing Nepean so..... Wait on we must...
I am confirming this crew does not, isn't allowed to, and will not work in Quebec, so you are spot on with that remark. I recall hearing something about Quebec construction laws from some contracting I've done, so it seemed legitimate. I guess it is! :)