Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nepean, ON - Robertson Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, they are autotransformers. We haven't seen too many V3 locations that use them, but I think at least some Canadian ones do. I think it's mostly for locations where their electrical service is being provided at 600V instead of 480V.

I'm interested in the improvements in coverage and density. Coverage makes trips possible. Density makes it easier and more optimal, because charging rates depend on state of change, and ideally people should stop when they want to and when they'll get the fastest charging.

I nerd out on it and share my results.

This Supercharger is particularly useful because it's splitting a sizable gap along the TCH, as well as helping with the connection between the Greater Toronto Area and Ottawa.

Yes.

Depending on how much I can be bothered I generally post distances to Superchargers on the major highways the Supercharger is along (normally with a reasonably generous 16km diversion limit), plus any other neighbors, where a neighbor is a Supercharger where the fastest route doesn't pass close to another distant Supercharger (i.e. I ignore anything close by).
Thanks for clarifying. It's a great location because anyone coming from Sudbury/North Bay, Toronto through Perth or through Brockville can top when reaching Ottawa. This also means you can fill up easily leaving Ottawa going on any of those routes. A slightly better spot would have been at the same junction but east of the 416 (like Ikea). The reason is because more people will be heading into Ottawa coming from the 416 and will have to go slightly west to fill up first if need be. But that's fairly minor. Coventry/St. Laurent would also be an excellent spot for the split of those two highways but the west location was more important. Originally, it was assumed it was going to be somewhere off Hunt Club, but it wasn't the case after all.
Now I'm curious as to where the Gatineau location will "actually" be. After all, the Gatineau location was pegged to be constructed a year before Nepean and it still hasn't happened. The effort will likely be to find a spot as close to the junction of highway 50 and the highway going north to Chelsea and Wakefield in order to cover both routes, if they continue their typical patterns of location placements. We shall stay tuned.

Reactions: surfaholic
It can't be a V2 because they don't make them anymore in North America. The last permit for one was Leon Springs, Texas back in November 2019. The odd 72kw urban goes up in a few places, otherwise it's straight V3's.
Nah, there's still the odd handful out there that were site designed before the switch over to V3 and for which Tesla decided not to rework the applications. But they'll likely run out of those locations in another year of two.

Stopped by the site this morning. Construction has definitely started.
IMG_20200715_072144.jpg

Now I'm curious as to where the Gatineau location will "actually" be. After all, the Gatineau location was pegged to be constructed a year before Nepean and it still hasn't happened. The effort will likely be to find a spot as close to the junction of highway 50 and the highway going north to Chelsea and Wakefield in order to cover both routes, if they continue their typical patterns of location placements. We shall stay tuned.

With that logic:
- Lac Leamy
- Galleries de Hull
- Canadian Tire beside Galleries de Hull (parking lot is small)
- St Hubert (very unlikely)

I can’t imagine really anywhere else, I don’t think the federal government will give Tesla parking spaces for supercharging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lacticacid
Did several timed runs to and from the Queensway. The results should allay the concerns that this is too much of a diversion. All timings are from the Queensway to a dead stop at the SC or vice versa.

From Queensway eastbound: 2:13
From Queensway westbound 2:45
From SC to Queensway westbound 3:29
Didn't try from SC to Queensway Eastbound, but I would put it around 2:30

Construction was going full blast at 4 pm this afternoon.
20200715_Tesla_Supercharger_BC.jpg

I’m not too sure what they are, but it sure looks like what you would find on top of a V2 cabinet. I really hope I’m wrong though
If anyone else was worried that the use of the autotransformers (as shown in a recent picture up thread) indicated that the site might be V2, you can probably rest easy. Here's a picture from the Peterborough thread shared by @boourns123 that shows their use in a recent V3 installation:

[NOT A PIC OF NEPEAN]
img_20200716_123018-jpg.565207

[/NOT A PIC OF NEPEAN]

UPDATE: I spoke with the crew this afternoon. They anticipate it being ready in about a month. My guess was before Labour Day. They pretty much came from the Perth site to start Nepean's. I asked where to next? The answer is somewhere in western Ontario. That could be Orillia, Bracebridege, or even Kincardine. But this also means Gatineau is not on the horizon just yet. They are also careful not to reveal too much information. The Tesla service centers and hotline are not privy to the supercharger construction information. They don't have any
20200716_141846.jpg
more information than we know.

Reactions: MarcoRP
If anyone else was worried that the use of the autotransformers (as shown in a recent picture up thread) indicated that the site might be V2, you can probably rest easy. Here's a picture from the Peterborough thread shared by @boourns123 that shows their use in a recent V3 installation:

[NOT A PIC OF NEPEAN]
img_20200716_123018-jpg.565207

[/NOT A PIC OF NEPEAN]
Exactly! I already replied that it CANNOT be a 150kw (V2). There has not been a 150kw in all of North America this year under permit. THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE. It also saves them from having to install 20 stalls and where sharing slows down charging. Why bother??? Common sense tells you there wouldn't be only 8 stalls nowadays and be anything but a V3. That's why I knew from the start of this year it would be a V3. It wasn't even a question.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarcoRP and PLUS EV
Did several timed runs to and from the Queensway. The results should allay the concerns that this is too much of a diversion. All timings are from the Queensway to a dead stop at the SC or vice versa.

From Queensway eastbound: 2:13
From Queensway westbound 2:45
From SC to Queensway westbound 3:29
Didn't try from SC to Queensway Eastbound, but I would put it around 2:30

Construction was going full blast at 4 pm this afternoon.View attachment 564917
When you say Queensway westbound, do you mean heading west towards Kanata? I timed it heading west towards Kanata and started timing once I was on the Moodie drive off ramp. I got a green light left turn right away, and without any traffic I came to a dead stop at 3:10 (compared to your 2:45). For Queensway east, you can stay on Robertson to hook onto the Queensway rather than go back on Moodie drive.

Exactly! I already replied that it CANNOT be a 150kw (V2). There has not been a 150kw in all of North America this year under permit. THEY DON'T MAKE THEM ANYMORE.
You're just plain wrong about this. None of your statements on this are factual. Tesla does still make them, they have installed them in places even within just the last few months, and there are sites currently in permitting that will be built with 150 kW stations whenever Tesla gets around to breaking ground.

That said, you're right that it should no longer be the default expectation for any location.

Reactions: PLUS EV
[QUOTE="Lacticacid, post: 4843241, member: 101879"But this also means Gatineau is not on the horizon just yet.[/QUOTE]
Being the eternal optimist.... At least not from this crew. We don't know where the crew that built Peterborough is off to next.

I asked where to next? The answer is somewhere in western Ontario. That could be Orillia, Bracebridege, or even Kincardine. But this also means Gatineau is not on the horizon just yet.

Don't draw that conclusion. Very few Ontario based contractors are allowed to work in Quebec due to very restrictive construction laws here. It is almost certain that the Gatineau Supercharger, whenever it comes, will be built by a Quebec based contractor. It is far more likely that the contractor building Terrebonne will do Gatineau than the contractor doing Nepean so..... Wait on we must...

They anticipate it being ready in about a month. My guess was before Labour Day.

Ready (as in construction being completed) versus Approved and Open are very different things when it comes to Superchargers being opened. Ontario Hydro can take a long time before signing off the final inspection and the provincial government doesn't seem to be pushing them to attend/conduct the inspections promptly upon build completion as the environment and sustainable transportation is not high on Doug Ford's priority list. It might have been different under Wynn. A pre-Labour Day opening would be great but odds of that are probably 50-50 at best -hope I'm wrong though!!

When you say Queensway westbound, do you mean heading west towards Kanata? I timed it; heading west towards Kanata and started timing once I was on the Moodie drive off ramp. I got a green light left turn right away, and without any traffic I came to a dead stop at 3:10 (compared to your 2:45). For Queensway east, you can stay on Robertson to hook onto the Queensway rather than go back on Moodie drive.

Yep westbound on the Queensway heading towards Kanata. i also had the green light to turn left at the intersection at Moodie. All in all 25 seconds: 3:10 vs 2:45. Nothing to worry about in my book.

Far, far better for travellers passing through Ottawa to go to the Rideua Centre and then drive down three levels to the Urban Superchargers (72Kw) there. For someone coming from Montreal with a 30% SOC they would probably have to add 1.5 hours to get a charge that would take them to Deep River rather than 35-40 minutes, diversion included, to get that "fill up" in Bells Corners.

For those fans of the Rideau Centre, why would go go there unless you had business that only took less than an hour? Last year I went to pick up my race kit at the Convention Centre and was hit with a $21 idling fee. Plus parking of course which is not cheap. Plus the vagaries of Public policy which had the Rideau Centre Supercharger closed for months as a wide brush effort to stop Covid-19. But by all means if you like spending 30 mins of driving hell in the epicentre Ottawa traffic to sit in your car for an hour, to save 7 bucks from charging at home, but paying 8 bucks for parking - this is the spot for you!

Yea I had heard the rumours that Tesla was going to put a showroom in the Rideau Centre and having Superchargers was going to be a selling point - well that didn't turn out well. Plus how many people really want to go down three levels in an elevator which being right off of Rideau frequently has really sketchy people hanging out. Last time I was there, I went to the elevator bank and when the elevator opened - a dog walked out - unattended! Turns out that one of the homeless folks who somehow can support a dog, had let the dog wander into an elevator when he nodded off. Had to get security involved, but at least it was a harmless story, not like some of the stories you hear about the denizens of Rideau Street!

You're just plain wrong about this. None of your statements on this are factual. Tesla does still make them, they have installed them in places even within just the last few months, and there are sites currently in permitting that will be built with 150 kW stations whenever Tesla gets around to breaking ground.

That said, you're right that it should no longer be the default expectation for any location.
Show me where they made them! Chicago O'Hare Airport opened but the permit was from a year ago. There hasn't been any. The only ones you see are off the continent like United Kingdom or Taiwan (or anywhere else). If any ever show up, then I will accept that. It just makes no more sense to put in a V2. That's probably also why the Brockville permit was removed. I am willing to bet all the "Coming Soon" locations will all be V3's with maybe the odd 72kw. That's it, that's all. Thanks.