Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Nepean, ON - Robertson Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something does seem to be slower at this charger. I went today for the first time and well aware of the limitations with charging at high state of charge and cold weather. Set it as a destination to pre heat. It was 8C and according scan my Tesla the battery was 19.8C when I started to charge. I arrived with 42% and it maxed at only 37kW, normally would get 60-70 at this state of charge and temp. Only added 23.8kW in 41mins averaged 180km/h.

Something does seem to be slower at this charger. I went today for the first time and well aware of the limitations with charging at high state of charge and cold weather. Set it as a destination to pre heat. It was 8C and according scan my Tesla the battery was 19.8C when I started to charge. I arrived with 42% and it maxed at only 37kW, normally would get 60-70 at this state of charge and temp. Only added 23.8kW in 41mins averaged 180km/h.
We should keep track of the vehicle model and whether you have free supercharging. Is it faster if you pay for electricity?

faster if you pay for electricity?
I wonder if they would actually do that, this is close to my home(10km away) and I do have free supercharging. I don't plan on using this that often but it is nice to know it is close by for the last minute unplanned trip(very rare). Although only getting 37kW makes it next to useless for that. Might run the car down to 20% and test again in week or so when I get that low. If anyone else experiences this, let me know.

V3s have had slow charge rates in the first month or so at many different locations. I'd save the hand wringing and just try it out again in a month or two. If it's still underperforming then, you can try to contact Tesla or whatever.
Well.....Perth DIDN'T. I was down below 100km remaining and it got exactly to 250kw. I phoned Tesla today to mention it, although I will try again in a few days and take my battery very low to perhaps somewhere around 60km of battery level left (which would probably be considered in the 10% to 15% range). I will report my findings.

I haven't been able to try it out again yet. With the colder weather, my car just stays plugged in all the time now, so it's always topped up. Seems people charge rates are all over the place. I might try the Perth one this weekend, might head up to my cottage which is about 15-20 minutes from Perth.

FWIW, I have a 2020 Model 3 LR, free supercharging.

In fairness, I'm somewhat lacking in v3 experience since I had to cancel my TCH trip this year. Although I was quite tempted to tell them I was "on my way to Alaska," in the end I decided to wait for 2021 (hopefully).
Depends on what happens tonight. My feeling is if one of them wins, I won’t be able to go to the US for another 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to drive down to Perth for an errand today.

Leaving my home, and driving 10-15 mins on the 417 with preconditioning on, my car was charging at around 62KW at SOC 30% at Nepean.

Going back from Perth with preconditioning, arrived at Nepean charger at SOC 25%, got 118KW max. Note, I have an SR+

In obvious words, driving out of your Ottawa driveway to try out the supercharger won’t get you 250KW. You need to spend much more time preconditioning your battery. You’ll take full advantage of the speeds if you are/or recently travelling long distance.

Reactions: Mikeydeek
Well.....Perth DIDN'T. I was down below 100km remaining and it got exactly to 250kw. I phoned Tesla today to mention it, although I will try again in a few days and take my battery very low to perhaps somewhere around 60km of battery level left (which would probably be considered in the 10% to 15% range). I will report my findings.

STILL SLOW!!! I preconditoned my battery and was down to 30km of range left. The highest I got was 111kw and then later it was at 72kw like an urban charger. The other model 3 charging there was getting even less, so much so the guy left because he couldn't bother anymore. I've reported this to Tesla.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a silly joke because it makes no sense. For those who think the first month of V3's are slow, where has this happened? How come we haven't heard about that sort of thing? I don't buy it.
Follow the threads on the TC Highway for the past year or so. They have all gone like this:

-They're finished, why aren't they live yet?
-They're live, WOOHOO!
-They're down
-They're not on the NAV
-They're up again
-They're live on the NAV
-1/2 of them are down, NAV says they are all good
- They are charging at 1/2 speed, are we sure they're V3?
-NAV says they're down, but I checked and they're live
-They are STILL charging at 1/2 speed, come on Tesla
-They're down again
- Hey they're back up, and charging at full speed WOOHOO!

(Satire Sheldon)

Seriously, all of the new SC have bugs upon startup.....Tesla will get Nepean up to speed soon

Just got back, 14 degrees when I was charging, preconditioned this time, hit 200kW, hovered mostly around 150-160kW... took 18 minutes from 19% to 70%... much better this time around
So what is that? About 100km and then to about 350km for a 250km gain? At Perth, I gained 300km in about 19 minutes but I also hit the full 250kw. So that's fairly decent. I don't keep my dial in terms of battery percentage, so I take a guess when someone reports in those terms. I estimate each 10% is probably 50km.

So what is that? About 100km and then to about 350km for a 250km gain? At Perth, I gained 300km in about 19 minutes but I also hit the full 250kw. So that's fairly decent. I don't keep my dial in terms of battery percentage, so I take a guess when someone reports in those terms. I estimate each 10% is probably 50km.

I'd say the same... roughly 90-100km up to 350km...

I'm going up to my cottage this weekend which is about 15-20 minutes from Perth, not sure if I'll take the Model3 there, but if I do, I'll try out the SC there too.