Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger network visualization at Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite interesting. The different visualization is intriguing. In a way, I think the Europe version is so much more honest as to where you really can drive with only Superchargers.
The red circles do not at all reflect where you can go (especially when they are completely off scale - like in the 'today' pictures with the Woodburn, OR Supercharger... the red line extends to about 250 miles south of Woodburn with some massive mountain passes on the way. I doubt an S85 with a range charge could make it from Woodburn to Ashland (that's where the circle's edge is right now).
Oregon.png
The blue shade around the freeways may underestimate the realistic driving area - but I think this is much much better than what they do for the US.

Winter2013EU.png
Winter2013US.png

The blue shade around the freeways may underestimate the realistic driving area - but I think this is much much better than what they do for the US.

I find it much less useful than the red dots (at least for the UK where I know what I'm talking about - elsewhere in Europe I don't know travel patterns well enough to judge).

There's basically 2 routes shown - London <-> Cardiff on the M4, and London<->West Midlands/Merseyside on the M1/M6.

London<->Cardiff is comfortably a single charge one-way, and more likely destinations short of there (Bristol, Swindon etc.) are a single charge round-trip, so the line on the map (which is the M4) doesn't really show you the journey opportunities opened up by the Supercharger, and doesn't show where the SC actually is. Probably it's around the M4/M5 junction, which really means it opens up access to the West Country both from London and from the West Midlands - so the key places affected are not actually on the blue line at all.

The other route again you could do one-way on a single charge, though it's more of a stretch and the destinations are the sort of places where you are more likely to want to do a day-trip. However, where is the supercharger? Is it around Birmingham somewhere, in which case it links up with the guessed Bristol one and enables north west/south west travel, or is it over by the M1/M6 junction so that you can use it to carry on up the M1 and so open up the North East which appears from the map to be completely inaccessible.

Essentially, I find myself needing to work back from the blue lines given to guess where the red dots would be in order to then work out what routes are really enabled - and even more so if I'm trying to work out the potential benefit for trips I do rather than trips in general.

I think the route markings are 10X better than the dots as it shows intent. With the dots, you have to guess the intent. For example, the point of the mystery Oregon SC southeast of Woodburn would become clear. I agree a combination of both would be good.

Also, on the route markings, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be SCs at the end point. So Cardiff probably would not get an SC.

I think the route markings are 10X better than the dots as it shows intent. With the dots, you have to guess the intent. For example, the point of the mystery Oregon SC southeast of Woodburn would become clear. I agree a combination of both would be good.

Also, on the route markings, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be SCs at the end point. So Cardiff probably would not get an SC.

Maybe on the longer routes the intent is clear, but my point was that on these shorter routes (where you can travel the entire route on one charge) the intent isn't clear at all.

For example, did they draw the line to Cardiff because the intent is to support driving to Cardiff and points beyond into South Wales? If so, a good place for the Supercharger would be around Newport (140 miles from central London, and within a single charge of pretty much anywhere in south-east England (Canterbury 208, Ipswich 226, Cambridge 190, even Norwich 258): if the intent is to feed South Wales, there's no point placing it further east. On the other hand, putting it there is useless for reaching the South West (there's the Severn estuary and its toll bridge in the way), so a charger around Bristol would be much better, serving both routes. Or a third interpretation, to optimally serve round-trips just on the route shown, maybe you put it slap in the middle of the blue line at a service area near Swindon. This would still just about serve those two routes from London, (Swindon->Penzance 228 miles, further than from Bristol but still OK) but not useful for those starting from Birmingham or points north.

Maybe the problem isn't the concept of route lines, just lack of care in the application - if they'd drawn a Y-shape splitting at Bristol, then I'd have less to complain about. But on the whole, dots would make it much easier to work out whether the routes I care about are covered or not.

[fair disclosure: I often go on holiday to Devon/Cornwall by car. But when going to Cardiff, I almost always take the train].

Like all things, the European map is open to your own interpretation. I live west of Cardiff, when I saw the map, my 1st thought was that there would be an SC in or around the Cardiff area (GREAT for me). My next thought was perhaps it meant that the charger might be at the London end and that I would be able to get from London to Cardiff and back on a charge.

In the Bristol area would be better as it would as you say as it opens up the south west of England and Wales from London, Birmingham and beyond.

I think we agree on at least one thing, not a lot of care/thought has gone into the SC planning that has been made public. I'd guess that the SC planning team (guy?) is understaffed - negotiations with owners/rights holders are probably overwhelming them.

+1 on the European visualization.

I'm wondering if by the time we get the Gen3 whether we'll even care about this map anymore or if SCs will be so common in 2017/18 the map becomes irrelevant (at least in the US and Europe).

I think the bottom line is that they don't really know where the chargers are going to be until they've negotiated the rights. The problem with putting dots is that it sets expectations they may not be able to meet. They had dots on the Texas map and then changed the plan because a local council decided to deny them permission to place the supercharger. The blue lines are intentionally a little vague to show intent without promising anything specific.

I think the bottom line is that they don't really know where the chargers are going to be until they've negotiated the rights. The problem with putting dots is that it sets expectations they may not be able to meet. They had dots on the Texas map and then changed the plan because a local council decided to deny them permission to place the supercharger. The blue lines are intentionally a little vague to show intent without promising anything specific.

Still would be nice to at least add the pins in for the ones that are open. The Europe map really doesn't give a feel for about where the SCs are (and yes, I know they are in the Nav...)

I've always seen the dots on the US map as rough estimations. If Tesla wants a SC in, say, Boulder CO, then I think it's unlikely that they won't find a single spot in the entire Boulder area (including neighboring cities) where the land/parking lot owner would give them permission to set one up.

Obviously we need both. No reason it has to be one or the other.
So Tesla just needs an option to display it either way. I would prefer the default to be like Europe with an option to display the pins/dots.
The pins/dots could be color coded to show existing and future.

I wish Tesla would adopt the Tesla Highway map that ChadS has been working on. This is really a much more complete map that let's a Tesla owner find all of the 40 amp, 70 amp and 80 amp locations out there.
ChadS has also been adding the Supercharger locations, so it is becoming an All-In-One map that is useful to Tesla owners.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=213359050108102131982.00048cca5f440e03b1fe4
Great map for the west coast, but it's very WA/OR/CA-centric. PlugShare with appropriate filters active is my preferred mapping approach.