Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Boston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged here again on my way back home to Houston on Friday 12/30. It was actually a tad out of the way for me to hit this one on the way back instead of Sulfur Springs, but I chose to do so because it's a much better location, faster charging, and I have two Model Ys travelling together and felt safer with it being a larger # of stalls, faster charging, and close to Texarkana if it went down (which the new installs seem to have been doing in my area lately).
Interestingly, even though there was only one other Telsa there besides my two, my two charged at completely different speeds. One was almost half the speed of the other, all other variables were relatively equal. Found that odd. Guessing it's because there was one other car there, and we were probably sharing. But overall, it's the fastest charger I've been to so far.

The gas station it's in is pretty nice. Seems they sell cooked food, but I didn't have any. Men's bathroom was clean on the way up, but pretty nasty on the way home, again no cell reception. Staff was very pleasant. Since you mentioned it, I actually saw several dogs being walked around the premises.

But as far as things other than the gas station around? Nothing else around in sight as far as I could tell, but I don't know the area at all.

Here's my vehicles charging here on their way home:

View attachment 891050
Odd that you had such a disparity in charging rates. It is a V3, so no sharing should have impacted your charge. Did you report it?
I am interested as this will be faster than Texarkana in my new Model Y on the way to my brother’s in Wylie. My old Model S wouldn’t care. My boys love Olive Garden so may be a moot point.

Odd that you had such a disparity in charging rates. It is a V3, so no sharing should have impacted your charge. Did you report it?
I am interested as this will be faster than Texarkana in my new Model Y on the way to my brother’s in Wylie. My old Model S wouldn’t care. My boys love Olive Garden so may be a moot point.
Texarkana isn't bad - but shared power is only acceptable when combined with a dinner. lol. on the other hand i noticed that V3 is often TOO Fast to even sit down for 20min in a starbucks

Report it? No, don't know how. :)

But like texas_star_TM3 said, it's too fast even despite the difference in charging speed. If you look at my pic, the gray one on the left is the one that charged slower, and the muddy black one on the right charged faster. I wish now I had taken better notes of what the actual charging speeds were during that stop, because it was the only time there was a notable discrepancy in speed. But I did take a mental note that in the first minute of charging on the way UP to OK, the gray one was charging at >800+mph. First I had seen that number, and why I said it was the fastest SC I'd been to so far.

We chose to stay an extra 5 minutes with the black one OFF the charger, just to keep them at the same charge level the whole trip. Could have left immediately when we were done buying snacks, because we had plenty to continue.

We left the same, and arrived the same the whole way back to Houston (a sort of unscientific test of the batteries' degradation considering the black one is 8 months older). They stayed within 1% of each other the entire time.

Another minor point of interest, for me, was this same trip home was the first time i'd pulled into a non-working supercharger, at Centerville, 3 of them were down.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Possible that one had a conditioned battery. If two are traveling together you may not think to engage the navigation system in both vehicles to take you to the Supercharger. Use the nav (in both) since it will warm the battery as you approach the Supercharger for faster (and consistent) charging.

Possible that one had a conditioned battery. If two are traveling together you may not think to engage the navigation system in both vehicles to take you to the Supercharger. Use the nav (in both) since it will warm the battery as you approach the Supercharger for faster (and consistent) charging.
Yeah, that was my first thought at the charger. I even checked both cars to make sure they were both still navigating correctly. I had programmed both cars myself before departure and I was driving the gray one (the slower charging one, which is also newer but same battery, Fremont), which I know had been preconditioning. It's a mystery, but I'm sure there's a logical explanation. Regardless, it was still faster than I needed it to be. If I had been solo, I wouldn't have even thought twice, wouldn't have waited the extra 5, just kept on going.