Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Haven, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In happier news, I convinced "Undecided with Matt Ferrell" that filming the very nearby extremely high tech Hotel Marcel would be worthwhile, and happily, he agreed! Once opened, this Supercharging location will be quite special, with the hotel lobby's bathrooms and self-service snacks and drinks available 24x7 to EV travelers, amenities that are rarely so close to DC fast charging locations. A little further walk across the adjoining lot, and you can also get Swedish Meatballs or other food and drink from IKEA's food court.

We got to see a preview of the Rivian R1T at this very same site way back in May of 2021, and I made the (longshot) plea to the Rivian employees to consider offering DC fast charging here too, which would make this quite the spot for all sorts of I-95 EV travelers.

If you don't already watch Matt's work, note that he regularly exceeds 1M views with his high quality videos that frequently include deep dives into various green technologies. Enjoy!

For those interested in the backstory/tech, see also my article including photos documenting our visit.
Cool! I started watching “Undecided” when he first started the channel. I never knew he was in CT! What town is he in?

Hi @HankLloydRight! Matt lives near Boston, and is making a house more toward Western MA.

I stopped by New Haven tnite, on way back from NYC:sadly no meters yet, and cut cables not repaired.

Stopped by the hotel lobby too, Jordan was super friendly and welcoming, and happy to learn about the amazing video!
3172DB37-3613-4BCE-805C-2824007E7983.jpeg
0625E253-B73D-41FF-906D-E6F25F101A1F.jpeg

Attachments

• 63A735D0-1EA6-4FB8-8B8E-2A965E9114CD.jpeg
    63A735D0-1EA6-4FB8-8B8E-2A965E9114CD.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
I’ve heard an unconfirmed report that this site may be operational before Thanksgiving, we’ll see, only time will tell. I’ll be in the area Tue Nov 19th to confirm. Hopefully somebody beats me to it and let’s us know good news here, something holiday travelers would surely appreciate especially since the in-car nav can take a few days to show a new location.

Reactions: Tdreamer
I’ve heard an unconfirmed report that this site may be operational before Thanksgiving, we’ll see, only time will tell. I’ll be in the area Tue Nov 19th to confirm. Hopefully somebody beats me to it and let’s us know good news here, something holiday travelers would surely appreciate especially since the in-car nav can take a few days to show a new location.

Superchargers often go live in the app before they go show up on the in-car nav. But the app only shows top-ten nearest superchargers. So if someone near New Haven wants to check their app, they might see New Haven (please update this thread), or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tdreamer
Superchargers often go live in the app before they go show up on the in-car nav. But the app only shows top-ten nearest superchargers. So if someone near New Haven wants to check their app, they might see New Haven (please update this thread), or not.
Not in the app yet. I checked my app when I was close, and it showed chargers that were further away but not New Haven.

• Helpful
Reactions: corywright
More details/debrief about last night.

I was driving with to NYC last night to pick up family, and decided to stop at Hotel Marcel on the way back. Not my smartest move, as we arrived with 10% at 11:19pm, with no Tesla logos illuminated on any of the stalls. Oops! I had a backup plan of courses, knowing Hamden would be doable, but kind of crappy surface roads, losing time so late was less than fun. Stopping at the Milford Supercharger right at the rest stop 10 miles earlier would have been less stress-inducing for an uncertain, occasional passenger, who quietly asked (as we showed arrival at Hamden at 3%), what would happen if we run out?

Anyhow, apparently this site isn’t yet fully operational after all.
Sadly, my test about 16 hours later, around 11pm, didn’t go so well, no stalls had lights.View attachment 877443

More details/debrief about last night.

I was driving with to NYC last night to pick up family, and decided to stop at Hotel Marcel on the way back. Given my new tires, my range is impacted so we had to stop. Not my smartest move to choose this site, as we arrived with 10% at 11:19pm, with no Tesla logos illuminated on any of the stalls. Oops! I had a backup plan of courses, knowing Hamden would be doable, but kind of crappy surface roads, losing time so late was less than fun. Stopping at the Milford Supercharger right at the rest stop 10 miles earlier would have been less stress-inducing for an uncertain, occasional passenger, who quietly asked (as we showed arrival at Hamden at 4%, with nothing open anywhere near, and no bathrooms), what would happen if we run out? Using the trick of pretending I’d stop at Milford to get preconditioning was another poor choice, chewing up a lot of range. Once New Haven shows on the app, such tricks won’t be needed, with preconditioning then happening automatically.

Anyhow, apparently this site isn’t yet fully operational after all. Lesson learned, do the experiments before picking up passengers, not after.l :oops:
1669215615943.png

Sadly, my test about 16 hours later, around 11pm, didn’t go so well, no stalls had lights.View attachment 877443
I know the problem... you went at night. All that solar from adjacent canopies wasn't pulling in enough energy from moonlight to power the superchargers. Try again during the daylight hours ;)