Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BA99791A-C002-45B9-AAC5-432D9B7CEF0E.jpeg
3BB7A019-4CCE-4F62-AB77-EEFAF11FE25D.jpeg
085A3239-9D1F-4452-A2E7-896141CE4489.jpeg
1889D5D9-0FAA-418E-A31F-5CBB802DD9E7.jpeg
DB2D9E01-E455-4F11-BB6A-BDB3DE680656.jpeg
New stalls at Joyce Kilmer look nearly ready to go.

Had an intriguing experience at the Cranbury (SB) supercharger on Saturday evening. I plugged in our Model Y with about 25% and initially got up to 172kW, which then declined gradually to 120kW as you'd expect. While we were there the stands filled up until 6 of 8 were occupied. A Model 3 pulled up next to us, plugged in, and immediately my charge rate dropped from 120kW to 82kW, and stayed exactly at 82kW for the remaining several minutes of my charge (no gradual tapering).

I had read that V3 chargers don't have to share current even with adjacent stalls, but that didn't seem to be the case here.

Big warning for anyone traveling on the turnpike, the Molly Pitcher (Cranbury) supercharger is blocked off, but still shows up on the Nav. Hopefully nobody plans on getting here with less than 10 miles remaining because they won't be able to charge!
@corywright @MarcoRP please mark Cranbury (southbound), NJ as temporarily closed. The service area ramp has been coned off for a while. Thanks!

From the article:
The Turnpike Authority’s service area contractors agreed to pay for the improvements in exchange for 25-year contracts to operate the food and fuel concessions on the Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. ...

The service area contractors are Applegreen, which provides food services, and Sunoco, which provides fuel services.
Wowsers, if Sunoco thinks they're still going to be selling profitable amounts of gas and diesel 25 years from now they're stupider than I though.

From the article:

Wowsers, if Sunoco thinks they're still going to be selling profitable amounts of gas and diesel 25 years from now they're stupider than I though.
In 2021, the average age of the US passenger vehicle fleet is 12.1 years (reported on here). And the trend for that number has been rising. In 2002 it was 9.6 years. I can see how gas companies would convince themselves that they'll still be selling lots of gas even if they allow for an accelerating switch to EVs for new car purchases.

In 2021, the average age of the US passenger vehicle fleet is 12.1 years (reported on here). And the trend for that number has been rising. In 2002 it was 9.6 years. I can see how gas companies would convince themselves that they'll still be selling lots of gas even if they allow for an accelerating switch to EVs for new car purchases.
Oh I'm quite certain, and not at all surprised, that they can convince themselves of that! But I sure ain't buying any of their stock. Or gas, when you get right down to it.

Most of the profit is from selling food, not gas. With EVs, people will spend more time in service stations, buying more overpriced food.

Typically true, but in the context of a service plaza, Sunoco isn’t the food vendor. All they have are a few drinks and snacks inside of the gas payment kiosk, which is somewhere EV drivers aren’t going to be visiting.

I’m planning to use the Joyce Kilmer supercharger in a couple of weeks. Has it re-opened?
Was it closed? The Woodrow Wilson and Molly Pitcher locations are supposed to be closed for renovations until at least some time this month, but I don't think we've heard anything about Joyce Kilmer being down. I just checked on Plugshare and there were successful charging check-ins at Joyce Kilmer from as recent as 2 weeks ago at the end of April.

Reactions: Johnny Vector