Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Molly Pitcher side, it looks like it should have some pretty good visible site lines to the lighted pedestals. From the back is the lane that trucks use (and many cars also), and from the from, by the jug handle, before cars make a left to go to the main car parking area in the front.

2f5977ed405e6a42275d56dc736e7265.jpg

They in the far away corner of the lot right as you get off the turnpike.

View attachment 82422

The problem with Molly pitcher is if you go right to the truck side there is no way to get to the superchargers...they should have put it in the back behind the gas station so it could be accessible to both. Guaranteed people will get stranded because of this be many cars go right since its both trucks and cars. Plus, if you go left but don't take the first right and head towards the gas station instead , your also stranded. There's no way to go back at all. It's not like you can even go to the next exit and turn around and head back since the rest stops are one sided only. This is really a horrible location for it. They really screwed up here. I just passed it the other day and they barely started. They should stop construction ASAP and relocate it to the back of the lot behind the gas station that way if someone missed going left then immediately right they can still get to it from all ways. Basically I expect all first time users of this rest stop to have a 33% chance of getting it right and being able to use the Chargers. lol they are going to have a lot of pissed off owners.

Last edited:
I think the location is fine. I think 98% of people would pick the cars ramp instead of the cars/truck ramp. Last time I checked, the Model S is a car, and not a truck. I know the Tesla navigation app in the car is not the greatest, and does have some issues, but I think most people who are going to a Supercharger will be using some navigation, which HOPEFULLY will direct them to the correct ramps and turns.

Looks to me like the thing to do would be to cut an opening somewhere (my suggestion is where the green circle is) to allow for vehicles to get back into the cars only section from the gas station area.

Without that I could see some desperate folks who took the wrong turn going against traffic to get back to the supercharger.

Screenshot 2015-05-28 23.23.00.png

We travel through here a lot so a charging station right off the turnpike is ideal. I agree the location on the exit is tough if someone accidentally takes the truck ramp or doesn't take the exit for the car parking area, they are out of luck. Too late to change that but maybe they can add a sign on the exit ramp.

If you've never come through a NJ turnpike rest stop before they'll have no clue that going right puts them in the grave. You only get one chance and you have a split second decision to make it coming off that ramp.

Well, I lived all all my life in New Jersey, Phila, CT and Boston, so I've travelled the NJTP probably thousands of times. I've never taken the "truck" lanes by mistake.

And if I did, it's a mistake one would only make once.

Looks to me like the thing to do would be to cut an opening somewhere (my suggestion is where the green circle is) to allow for vehicles to get back into the cars only section from the gas station area.

Without that I could see some desperate folks who took the wrong turn going against traffic to get back to the supercharger.

View attachment 82806
Putting a cut there would lose a few spaces, so that's probably not so likely. Hopefully, there will be a sign right where the ramp forks - a Tesla T & an arrow pointing left (assuming I'm reading this picture correctly).

All I can say is that if someone comes into the Service Area counting on a charge with less than 10 miles of range left and accidentally turns into the CARS + TRUCKS side they're not getting back onto the Turnpike. They will find a way to get to those chargers even if it means waiting for no traffic and going the wrong way back to the CARS only entrance.

Maybe you're right CliffG - maybe this is as simple as adding a sign for the Tesla Chargers directing traffic.

Took a couple of pictures at the Molly Pitcher service area today where the Tesla Supercharger is being constructed, this site is way behind compared to Joyce Kilmer. Skeleton of 4 charge ports are up, 2 Supercharger inverters are up, large electrical box.. That's it. Not a single soul working today 1pm.
MollyPitcher1.jpg
MollyPitcher2.jpg

Stopped by both rest stops yesterday. Not much has changed from the previous pictures. This is what Joyce Kilmer looks like, which is more or less the same as the picture posted last week. I'm guessing they are waiting for inspection/permits/etc.
IMG_3085.JPG