Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember, we don't have the automatic off-ramp stuff yet, so when the driver is napping and letting Autopilot handle the driving, the car will naturally stay in the truck lanes. Expect all the Teslas to move into the car lanes once 8.1 ships.

(Big fat sarcasm indicator, in case anyone couldn't tell.)

Full house last night with one waiting at the NB SC. I hit this SC frequently and have never seen it this busy before.

upload_2016-11-14_13-25-17.png

Today I saw construction underway for more Superchargers at Joyce Kilmer (NB).
It looks like they were adding chargers at both rest areas. Does anyone know how many stations they are adding.

I saw these both NB and SB on the NJTP, but I'm pretty sure they aren't SC stalls, but more likely other EV charging stations.

They were both two additional square platforms several open spots away from the existing SC stalls, and the configuration of the cement pads was totally different.

If Tesla were going to expand these locations, I think it would be more than two stalls each.

upload_2017-5-15_21-59-48.png

I saw these both NB and SB on the NJTP, but I'm pretty sure they aren't SC stalls, but more likely other EV charging stations.

They were both two additional square platforms several open spots away from the existing SC stalls, and the configuration of the cement pads was totally different.

If Tesla were going to expand these locations, I think it would be more than two stalls each.

View attachment 227089

I'm hoping these are CCS/CHAdeMO stations then....not L2.

I spoke to construction workers yesterday and they said they will be EVGO. They didn't know anything else though (speed/connection type, etc). This was on the NB side.

Nice. If they are EVgo, they are for sure CCS/CHAdeMO compatible. Would be nice if they were >50 kW, but I'm guessing they will be just 50 kW tops. But a welcome addition to non-Tesla EV'ers driving the NJTP!

So these EVgo stations are being installed at multiple locations on the NJTP, not just 1 site?
It was part of the agreement Tesla made with the Turnpike Authority:
As part of the installation of its charging stations, Tesla would also install all necessary cabling and equipment to allow electric service to be brought to the Turnpike service areas not only to enable the Tesla charging stations but also to provide electric service to an area abutting the Tesla locations that would be suitable for the installation of alternative electric vehicle charging station.
(see page 30).

Was going to stop here on 12/30, but it was full all day. I've never seen it this busy, even around Christmas or Thanksgiving. Hopefully the Paulsboro one on 295 will releave some of the load on it. I ended up going to Hamilton, which was also quite full but at least I didn't ahve to wait.

If you're going this way I'd avoid relying on these. Either stop at one of the ones farther north (edison, edgewater), or make sure you have enough range to make it to one of the ones further south (Burlington, Hamilton) so you don't have to wait.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think it's all about timing. Also, you have to be suspect of the displayed empty spaces (or not), as I've seen the system not show the correct usage quite a number of times during heavy traffic days (other times its spot on). We stopped by both NJTP chargers on the afternoon of the 24th and the evening of the 25th and there was between 2-3 spots available the whole time we were charging at both. So, timing, bad data, or we are just lucky:) Peter

Was going to stop here on 12/30, but it was full all day. I've never seen it this busy, even around Christmas or Thanksgiving. Hopefully the Paulsboro one on 295 will releave some of the load on it. I ended up going to Hamilton, which was also quite full but at least I didn't ahve to wait.

If you're going this way I'd avoid relying on these. Either stop at one of the ones farther north (edison, edgewater), or make sure you have enough range to make it to one of the ones further south (Burlington, Hamilton) so you don't have to wait.
I

we passed through that way on the 30th also. We charged to 80% in Newark, DE and were able to make it to Danbury, CT without needing to stop.

on the way south the week before, we stopped at the Wawa in Woodbridge instead, as I preferred the food options over anything on the NJTP.

We stopped by both NJTP chargers on the afternoon of the 24th and the evening of the 25th and there was between 2-3 spots available the whole time we were charging at both.
Yeah, like I said they weren't that busy around Christmas.
They data seems reasonably accurate, sometimes it will show full when there is one spot, but I always check when I drive by.