Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re open again!

Attachments

• DA4F5BCF-8E56-462D-9AF8-E01B97AD3872.jpeg
    DA4F5BCF-8E56-462D-9AF8-E01B97AD3872.jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 161
Looks like this is part of larger rehabilitation project of reststops on the turnpike and parkway. This is a snippet from an article on nj.com

“Two other service centers, the Walt Whitman in Cherry Hill and Joyce Kilmer in East Brunswick, will be demolished this fall and newly constructed buildings are scheduled to open in June 2023, Feeney said.”

• Informative
Reactions: Cuttin and Big Earl
Looks like this is part of larger rehabilitation project of reststops on the turnpike and parkway. This is a snippet from an article on nj.com

“Two other service centers, the Walt Whitman in Cherry Hill and Joyce Kilmer in East Brunswick, will be demolished this fall and newly constructed buildings are scheduled to open in June 2023, Feeney said.”
Yes that's right. Many rest stops on the NJ Turnpike have been closed, renovated and re-opened, and these two are the latest (maybe the last?). This supercharger station is really important, though - I think it's the northern-most north-bound station on the Turnpike, so anyone needing a charge north of Hamilton (near exit 7A) will need to get off the Turnpike to do so.

Reactions: preilly44
Yes it is frustrating.

The nj turnpike chargers are some of the easiest charging experiences I've had over my 110k miles!

I do agree this one is important but there's one a bit north at crotch of turnpike and parkway that's by a wawa. While it is 3-4 minutes on/off, it's a much shorter walk to eat and potty. I'd say 10sexonds vs 60sec wall at turnpike. Almost breaks even.

Yes it is frustrating.

The nj turnpike chargers are some of the easiest charging experiences I've had over my 110k miles!

I do agree this one is important but there's one a bit north at crotch of turnpike and parkway that's by a wawa. While it is 3-4 minutes on/off, it's a much shorter walk to eat and potty. I'd say 10sexonds vs 60sec wall at turnpike. Almost breaks even.
The difference is during the 3-4 minutes on/off you are not charging, but during the 60sec walk at turnpike you are. I like chargers at highway rest areas.

The difference is during the 3-4 minutes on/off you are not charging, but during the 60sec walk at turnpike you are. I like chargers at highway rest areas.
Yeah so do I.

BUT laziness is a strong force in this one.... 10s walk vs 60s is absolutely a consideration for me, especially in rain or extremes of heat/cold.

And yes in this combined 8mijutes of on/off time you'd get a very decent amount of charge.

These are some very difficult first world problems.

It's a shame the SC has to be out of service during the rest stop rebuild. Certainly power to the construction site remains in service as the rebuilding progresses. Although safety is always paramount, I have to believe that EV recharging and construction activities can coexist. EV commuters would certainly accept short duration SC outages at times when construction activities absolutely required it.

It's a shame the SC has to be out of service during the rest stop rebuild. Certainly power to the construction site remains in service as the rebuilding progresses. Although safety is always paramount, I have to believe that EV recharging and construction activities can coexist. EV commuters would certainly accept short duration SC outages at times when construction activities absolutely required it.
These rest stops are major construction zones. The original building is being demolished. The state and the contractor would be sued if anyone or any vehicle were injured/damaged. The signage is explicit as to the next rest stop and your Nav system will route you to the next SC.

These rest stops are major construction zones. The original building is being demolished. The state and the contractor would be sued if anyone or any vehicle were injured/damaged. The signage is explicit as to the next rest stop and your Nav system will route you to the next SC.
This is extra funny because most of the time when I'm on the NJTP it's going to or returning from seeing a show in Manhattan. Where you can't walk a block without passing an active construction zone literally over everyone's head. The Superchargers are 100 yards from the buildings; it would be trivial to keep the cars away from the construction.