Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Plymouth, New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, the approval was denied at the vote tonight. We'll have to wait for the meeting minutes to be released to find out the daft reasoning behind why they voted this way, despite the recommendations of their own report to approve it.

Video now up on

Looks like it got discussed at the tail end of a 4hr council meeting. Basically starts at 16 Nov Video 1, which seemingly follows Video2 (which is 3hrs long)

Very haphazard discussion.
Motion presented is to reject the proposal and get council staff to create a report within 12 months on EV charging options.
One councillor goes against it arguing why they can't do both.
Some snide comments about Tesla not willing to pay rent, that they use private sites elsewhere in NZ and "petrol forever".
Council staff tries to clarify what the report should be about.

Interesting also that Tesla had proposed 3 Tesla exclusive stalls and 1 universal stall which is new.
And had identified 3 possible council sites, albeit seemingly all had fairly high usage and made council money.

Petrol for ever (laughter)
Why can't we have both, why can't we do this Tesla one and look at other public options, I still don't understand why we can't do both
Tesla will not pay the council leasing fees for the license to occupy the spaces on the site
Tesla charges drivers using the facility by the app, that should be enough for everyone that this is nonsense and kick it to touch
Absolutely, ohh, yeh
I will note that most of the charging stations around New Zealand with Tesla are on private property and they will be negotiating that with private if you look on the website across New Zealand they are in parking lots by cafes so there is no need to give this up
---------
Yep seems their thinking is Tesla is profiting from the superchargers and the council is not getting a cut
and superchargers are something to do with cafes

Didn't seem to be much discussion except for that one councilor who wanted it to go ahead
almost like they had already decided it was out

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Petrol for ever (laughter)
Why can't we have both, why can't we do this Tesla one and look at other public options, I still don't understand why we can't do both
Tesla will not pay the council leasing fees for the license to occupy the spaces on the site
Tesla charges drivers using the facility by the app, that should be enough for everyone that this is nonsense and kick it to touch
Absolutely, ohh, yeh
I will note that most of the charging stations around New Zealand with Tesla are on private property and they will be negotiating that with private if you look on the website across New Zealand they are in parking lots by cafes so there is no need to give this up
---------
Yep seems their thinking is Tesla is profiting from the superchargers and the council is not getting a cut
and superchargers are something to do with cafes

Didn't seem to be much discussion except for that one councilor who wanted it to go ahead
almost like they had already decided it was out
Most charge-net Non-Tesla chargers charge to 50KW capacity... and all electric cars can charge there.
Might be a simple motivation as that.

Context / Personal experience on chargers/charges:
I used super charger at Sylvia park and K'rd, and used charge-net charger near to home....

Sylvia park charges $0.64/KW and would only charge at full 120KW capacity if navigate to charger and when starting the charge car showing in pre-condition mode... otherwise it's around 40-70KW speed after travelling 20-30 KM from my place.. problem is, it mostly goes out of navigation mode by the time enter the parking, so, unless car was driving a good distance already - it's 40-70KW speed.

K'RD charges $0.46/KW and would only charge at full 120KW capacity if navigate to charger after driving more than 5KMs, based on experience. twice I stopped on my way to pickup a sub sandwich within 5KM area, and charging never reached full capacity.

Charge-net found across Auckland/NZ, always charge near 50KW capacity... charges $0.42/KW or less, depending on time of the day you visit.. as Charge-net is everywhere I don't need to drive all the way to supercharger, so probably least 2-3 KW saved on commute and time. plus Charge-net are at most parking lot, super-market shopping mall.. many are free as well... so charge when shop is what I do.

Everyone loves to save time when refilling the car, like shop at gas, station, and use facilities on their break on road-trip... this is entirely missing in charging networks... again Tesla network would only cater to few thousand Tesla cars... and expensive compare to other charge-net chargers... money goes overseas... there are many factors council might have considered in advance.

Tip on your issue:
I worked for councils last 10 years, some 70-80 of them across NZ and AU... so based on experience, they always have internal meet on various topics, email trails discussing things, before they come to final meeting for voting. If I was you, getting restless that Tesla supercharger, which can only be used by Tesla cars are not coming (I am not), then I would file Official Information Request under LGOIMA act to ask for all communication around Tesla charger, once received would know that why everyone voted against it.

Personal Opinion:
I bought Tesla despite being Audi fan all my life, thinking it's company and user base caring most about environment.... but that was probably outsider view... looking at level of plastic in car, proprietary networks/plugs and most future roadmaps, I am yet to be convinced about this.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jeffnz
God to see a few Journos trawling threads for content. Interesting comments on the FB thread for that article

Would be interesting to know what went on before the meeting as the original motion was little more than allowing Tesla to investigate three sites.
Now it does appear that all three sites were possibly well used carparks so maybe not the best options to put forward by Tesla.

Ideally Tesla wants a site close to food, shops, bathroom facilities, but just far enough away that it won't get ICEd on a regular basis.

In Australia we saw something similar with Yass, where the council rejected a council carpark site with an existing NRMA 50kW charger on the basis it was a busy carpark and they couldn't give up that many spots, yet at the next meeting approved a different council carpark only a block away.

Power issues are problematic and your typical highway bypass petrol station is often built to the limit of the local supply, as anything more is usually insanely expensive (remember that a Tesla supercharger needs 500kW+ - which is an equivalent baseload to hundreds of homes), whereas in town there will often be more spare power.
I suspect Tesla would love to deal with private landowners rather than council, but in many of these smaller towns there just aren't large lightly used private parking spaces that would be suitable.

So it's a trade-off for these councils of bringing roadtrippers into their towns supporting local businesses, helping their green credentials versus a perceived loss of a few parking spots - they will still have cars parked in them though.
And Tesla (or other EV charging companies) is spending a few hundred $$$k on the site in equipment, ground and electrical costs, something they are unlikely to recover in the short term at lighter used sites.

One of the carparks proposed was identified as usually having less than 30% occupancy and an estimated loss of $5k p/a. This carpark was also Tesla's preferred option. Keeping in mind that those charging would still have had to pay for the parking, so not really a loss in revenue.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
This was the chart in the briefing pack.
Screenshot_20211123-102649.png

Street view shows all 35 spots in the Wind Wand carpark on Molesworth St as being numbered which I believe means on a lease from memory of finding spots in NZ.

Also appears that council is down a 150-spot carpark at present and there is a waiting list for leases.

Think one of the other side remarks referred to this new under construction shopping centre outside the centre of New Plymouth.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq