Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- New River AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
475F200E-81C9-442E-BAF4-1AAFC130B474.png
10 stalls, V2 Located at the shell in New River, AZ. Isn’t on yet.

I haven't figure @araxara's pin yet but since the OP wrote "shell", I'm figuring at the Shell station at the I-15 exit - here. This is NOT where Google claims the Shell station is:confused:

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 5.50.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 5.49.19 PM.png

Yes, I welcome any new supercharger in Arizona, but Kayenta is key. Globe and Show Low would be nice too.
Definitely agree on this. Kayenta has been on the "coming soon" map I think since I bought the car in 2015. Since I regularly travel between my home in Flagstaff and Durango, this "coming soon" dot made me feel a lot better about having plunked down a reservation on an 85D (reserved in October 2014 after the "D" announcement, delivered end of March 2015). Now instead of going the direct route, I've been taking an extra hour and a half to drive through Gallup every time. Additionally, chargegate has now made the possibility of a trip across the Navajo Nation and up to the I-70 virtually impossible. It's 245 miles from Flagstaff to Blanding - while I'm fairly confident that in warmer weather I can make it to Blanding keeping my speed down, it's now going to require over 2 hours in Blanding to get near 100% in order to make the return trip (which also climbs an additional ~900 ft as opposed to losing that elevation). Ugh. I understand that electric infrastructure and permitting can both be huge barriers across the Nation.
Other spots that need more chargers: Gallup and Holbrook are 4 stalls each. Definitely always sweating here if there will be a line though I haven't hit one yet. There was a huge line coming through Kingman the last time I was there - this is now a 65 min charge for me without a line (up from about 50min if coming in at low SOC). An expansion or another site in Kingman is sorely needed, as well as another site halfway between Kingman and Flagstaff.
In contrast, I've never had an issue charging at Cordes on the I-17 corridor (oddly the I-17/101 supercharger has been nearly full or charging slowly almost every time I've pulled in since it opened). I can't see myself using this charger in New River very often, though hopefully it'll keep traffic away from the Cordes site.

Definitely agree on this. Kayenta has been on the "coming soon" map I think since I bought the car in 2015. Since I regularly travel between my home in Flagstaff and Durango, this "coming soon" dot made me feel a lot better about having plunked down a reservation on an 85D (reserved in October 2014 after the "D" announcement, delivered end of March 2015). Now instead of going the direct route, I've been taking an extra hour and a half to drive through Gallup every time. Additionally, chargegate has now made the possibility of a trip across the Navajo Nation and up to the I-70 virtually impossible. It's 245 miles from Flagstaff to Blanding - while I'm fairly confident that in warmer weather I can make it to Blanding keeping my speed down, it's now going to require over 2 hours in Blanding to get near 100% in order to make the return trip (which also climbs an additional ~900 ft as opposed to losing that elevation). Ugh. I understand that electric infrastructure and permitting can both be huge barriers across the Nation.
Other spots that need more chargers: Gallup and Holbrook are 4 stalls each. Definitely always sweating here if there will be a line though I haven't hit one yet. There was a huge line coming through Kingman the last time I was there - this is now a 65 min charge for me without a line (up from about 50min if coming in at low SOC). An expansion or another site in Kingman is sorely needed, as well as another site halfway between Kingman and Flagstaff.
In contrast, I've never had an issue charging at Cordes on the I-17 corridor (oddly the I-17/101 supercharger has been nearly full or charging slowly almost every time I've pulled in since it opened). I can't see myself using this charger in New River very often, though hopefully it'll keep traffic away from the Cordes site.
I hear you there. Mine is also a 2015 and my max range is down to about 250 miles on a good day. I may end up keeping the car for a solid 10 yrs, at which time my range should be at least 350 miles, helping skip chargers like Kayenta. But until then and for many people with shorter range (especially in cold months) Kayenta is vital. None of the self driving features tempt me to trade up at this point, I feel I'd be buying another work in progress. I like my 85D with HW1 and autopilot, but don't feel like HW3 and navigate on autopilot is anywhere near baked enough to deem it a "must have" at this point.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
I hear you there. Mine is also a 2015 and my max range is down to about 250 miles on a good day. I may end up keeping the car for a solid 10 yrs, at which time my range should be at least 350 miles, helping skip chargers like Kayenta. But until then and for many people with shorter range (especially in cold months) Kayenta is vital. None of the self driving features tempt me to trade up at this point, I feel I'd be buying another work in progress. I like my 85D with HW1 and autopilot, but don't feel like HW3 and navigate on autopilot is anywhere near baked enough to deem it a "must have" at this point.
As someone who has driven both, there's definitely no need to upgrade for any of the features you describe. The 250 rated mile range would drive me nuts though lol.