Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Springfield, OH - Mahoning Valley & Glacier Hills Service Plazas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do not. For one, NEVI requires simultaneous 150 kW output across all stalls, which Superchargers can’t do in their current configuration. Achieving this would require double the number of power cabinets for the same number of stalls.

It requires simultaneous 150kW across all CCS stalls, which v3 and v2 could do in some locations where there is sufficient power if they don't CCS all stalls. However, implementing consistently a rule instead of a capability might require throttling back Teslas, which would be a no-no for them.

Of course, if part of the agreement with Tesla would be that they'll waive that requirement for v3 as long as CCS is treated equally, it would not matter.

Last edited:
It requires simultaneous 150kW across all CCS stalls, which v3 and v2 could do in some locations where there is sufficient power if they don't CCS all stalls. However, implementing consistently a rule instead of a capability might require throttling back Teslas, which would be a no-no for them.

Of course, if part of the agreement with Tesla would be that they'll waive that requirement for v3 as long as CCS is treated equally, it would not matter.
V2 cannot do 150 kW across all stalls. For starters, V2 is nominally 144 kW and rarely sees 150 kW. Beyond that, stalls are shared, so two vehicles charging on one cabinet only get 72 kW each.

V3 is better, but still not 150 kW simultaneously across all stalls. A full 12-stall V3 site would only deliver 87.5 kW per vehicle.

They could make it work on V3 if they doubled up on charging cabinets for CCS stalls. That would be two stalls per V3 cabinet. This is, IMO, a waste of resources and doesn’t make the best use of the electrical infrastructure.

Elon has said before that chasing government money isn’t worth it, and I don’t expect Tesla to chase NEVI funding unless the requirements are changed.

I stopped by the Eastbound side today, April 11, and was mortified to see that they were starting over! I talked to a worker there who said they are a new contractor hired to fix the problems created by the first. He said they anticipate being done within a month. He said same situation on westbound side.
5CFCC774-89FD-4D04-80C3-B125385803BF.jpeg

I stopped by the Eastbound side today, April 11, and was mortified to see that they were starting over! I talked to a worker there who said they are a new contractor hired to fix the problems created by the first. He said they anticipate being done within a month. He said same situation on westbound side.View attachment 927293
Thanks for the update, that’s insane! This has been quite a project to follow. Hopefully the new contractor knocks it out this time. 🤞🏼

OOF.. Gonna be tight for me! Kent State move out is about a month from now, but Eastbound is the side I need so glad it sounds like they're doing it first.

After move out I don't anticipate heading that direction until late August, so at least there's a good chance I never see Girard again after next month.

Thanks for the update!
With the way things have been going, maybe you should plan on taking some summer classes. The stalls might be ready then.

I'm 24 hours from not caring until September. Tomorrow is move out for my daughter, so I guess I'll enjoy the bucolic diversion to Girard one more time.
<sigh>
I feel you--I was hoping these would be open in time for my drive to MI last weekend (also for a school move out), but I actually didn't need them--was able to avoid Girard or getting off the turnpike at Strongsville by doing a deep charge at North Huntington over lunch (recommend Fontana's Cafe up the street) and covering the 233 mi nonstop to Genoa (took 93% of battery at 75-80 mph in my 22 Y LR).

Tesla/Elon software boned my vintage S85 so that anything over 150 miles is a chore. Going from Pittsburgh to Kent there are no Superchargers en route, so I have to make it from here to Kent and then backtrack to Girard with the charge on board... easy enough, but having the turnpike ones would save me that detour. Prior to the May 2019 OTA I would have been able to do this roundtrip/no charge easily. Not that I'm bitter. (psst: I AM.)