Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla says only by the end of 2017. Aside from Tesla supplied equipment, I don't think any of these are "cookie cutter" packages so there are variables with the local utility, etc. Check out: www.supercharge.info.
That site will give you some idea of the various timetables. This charger's permit process was started sometime before June 2017 and the permit was just issued around the 7th of September. At least within a week preliminary construction was begun.

Last edited:
Tesla says only by the end of 2017. Aside from Tesla supplied equipment, I don't think any of these are "cookie cutter" packages so there are variables with the local utility, etc. Check out: www.supercharge.info.
That site will give you some idea of the various timetables. This charger's permit process was started sometime before June 2017 and the permit was just issued around the 7th of September. At least within a week preliminary construction was begun.

Usually 6-8 weeks.

Good to know....thanks for the replies!

IMG_3611.jpg
IMG_3586.jpg
The first picture taken at about 1600e on 9/20/17 shows a load of conduit. The two workers were still waiting for the other members of the crew and the backhoe and related equipment to begin work. The others were scheduled to be there at 1400e. I spoke with the foreman and he gave a slightly shorter timeline (4-6weeks) than @Sambas suggested. Their most recent job in the area (their firm is from Northern Kentucky ) was in Grand Rapids, MI. They do (almost) the entire installation except testing by Tesla at the completion and the transformer installation which, in this case, will be handled by First Energy. And there is the achilles heel of the project. With two major hurricanes in recent weeks, crews from all over are assisting in the rebuilding efforts in FL,TX, and elsewhere. FirstEnergy Sending More Crews to Help Restore Power in Florida - Underground Construction Without the transformer the rest of the installation is just modern art!

The second picture (previously posted) looks north, and since the time it was taken the construction fence has been extended north (the general direction of this picture) to include the last 10 parking spots in the parking lot. I forgot to ask to see the construction plans but assume all new superchargers are built to drive in as opposed to (my preference) back in.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sambas and Acps110
Progress as of 9/29/17. All of the trenches have been dug and conduit installed for the 10 superchargers.
IMG_3654.jpg
This is where the 5 superchargers will sit. The 5 pairs of conduit run off to the left of the picture and go north in the trench up toward the black trailer. You can see the conduit sticking up. These will be back in spots and so far I don't see evidence of a pull in spot; maybe I missed it all the way at the end of the trench. Just this side of the superchargers will be where the electrical switch equipment will be located. The conduit in the foreground is where power will be supplied from the transformer the other end of which can be seen in the photo below.

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg
IMG_3657.jpg

The Schneider Electrical Switching gear is shown in the tall plastic wrap below; there are 3 units. The boxes labeled "Do not stack over two high" contain the EVSE posts (what we probably all call "the chargers"). Got a shot below; one of the boxes was open.

IMG_3644.jpg
IMG_3645.jpg
IMG_3646.jpg

Going to go out on a limb and make an educated guess here. The only equipment missing are the 5 supercharge cabinets. Since I would guess Tesla considers it proprietary equipment, I think they are in this large, locked shipping container. All of the paperwork on the container actually has to do with the closest emergency care facility, how to get there, etc.

IMG_3658.jpg

Progress as of 9/29/17. All of the trenches have been dug and conduit installed for the 10 superchargers.
View attachment 250840 This is where the 5 superchargers will sit. The 5 pairs of conduit run off to the left of the picture and go north in the trench up toward the black trailer. You can see the conduit sticking up. These will be back in spots and so far I don't see evidence of a pull in spot; maybe I missed it all the way at the end of the trench. Just this side of the superchargers will be where the electrical switch equipment will be located. The conduit in the foreground is where power will be supplied from the transformer the other end of which can be seen in the photo below.

View attachment 250841

View attachment 250850 View attachment 250851

The Schneider Electrical Switching gear is shown in the tall plastic wrap below; there are 3 units. The boxes labeled "Do not stack over two high" contain the EVSE posts (what we probably all call "the chargers"). Got a shot below; one of the boxes was open.

View attachment 250843 View attachment 250844 View attachment 250845

Going to go out on a limb and make an educated guess here. The only equipment missing are the 5 supercharge cabinets. Since I would guess Tesla considers it proprietary equipment, I think they are in this large, locked shipping container. All of the paperwork on the container actually has to do with the closest emergency care facility, how to get there, etc.

View attachment 250846
Thanks for the updates. Careful not to get caught trespassing :)

Thanks for the updates. Careful not to get caught trespassing :)

Ha! Got my best Chevy Chase swagger already to go. These guys put their days in early and are usually gone by 3pm on Fridays.
Otherwise, I'm a Tesla rep checking on progress. If all else fails I'll tell them to get in touch with that petter-ass Hanrahan.

Update for 10/7/2017:

While it doesn't look like much, I guess they are making progress. Most of the electrical conduits have been completed and anchored with a base of small gravel. Some of the conduits toward where the EVSE stanchions will be erected have been removed as the crew pictured today (actually 2 crews: one electrical the other paving guys) are digging footers for the curb and paving. They are shown in later photos. North is toward the American flag and the last of 10 charging spots will be about where the small backhoe is located (under the Mickey D arch). One of the guys said paving concrete work will be finished in about 2 weeks from 9/6/2017. They are also doing something in Mason, OH (close to Blue Ash where Tesla Cincinnati is located). He referenced the mini pod pictured later with the 5 supercharger cases and said the trailer in Mason, OH was twice as big (20 charging spots and 10 chargers)? I can find nothing indicating Mason is the site of the new Cincinnati SpC but all these guys do is SpC installations so I have to accept this info as accurate.

IMG_3708.jpg

This photo shows the location of the 5 superchargers (right and left background). Electrical switch equipment will be over the upward arcing conduit to the left center. They will interface with chargers in the upward arcing conduits in the center of the pic.
IMG_3709.jpg

And this photos is a few steps back and to the left. Main power from power company will be through the single conduit in the foreground as this is where the transformer will sit. Distributed then to the 3 electrical switch gear cabinets ( conduits middle of picture) and then to the 5 superchargers (back right and left conduits held in place by steel bars).

IMG_3710.jpg

These pictures show an inside look at the shipping container and the 5 supercharger crates stored within.

IMG_3711.jpg
IMG_3712.jpg

This is probably nothing more than a geek shot. It shows the innards of one of the electrical switch gear cases (3 total) and the heavy duty busses for moving lots of electrons.

IMG_3713.jpg

And that is part of the continuing effort of how Tesla spends about $80,000. Stay tuned. If this is open by 11/1/17 I will be surprised.

10.13.2017 Update. Curbs are complete as is most of the other concrete work. Still some remaining around the electrical switching gear pads and the supercharger racks. Still no evidence of a pull in location for MX with bike rack/trailer (there is no trenching and repaving to allow this).
IMG_3723.jpg

Next picture also shows supercharger pad from a different angle. Keen eyed observers may note 5 pairs of conduit and 5 single conduits. Singles come in from switching cabinets; 5 pairs are out bound to EVSE stanchions.
IMG_3725.jpg

Last pic is just one of two electrical switching gear pads. Power from transformer comes through those first before being routed to supercharger racks.
IMG_3726.jpg

And that's it for this week's installment of "As the Toledo SpC grows".

(Pay no attention to the man behind the (shadow) curtain.:)

Stopped by the Toledo site today around 1220 et. There were three workers installing the first of 5 supercharger cabinets. The first one, hanging by straps from the crane, was finally positioned, aligned, leveled, etc. by 1240.
IMG_3754.jpg
IMG_3753.jpg

The second charger cabined was installed in about 15 minutes or less and I would venture a guess that all 5 were complete within the next hour. These guys are from a firm in KY and I know they put them up in hotel next to the job site. Don't know whether they go home for the weekend or not. I was thinking that as quickly as these went in it wouldn't be too difficult to place the remaining three electrical switching cabinets in another hour or so. They have rented the small crane so if cost containment is a concern then I would want to place them all and return the crane. So, if these guys are here for the weekend, perhaps all the equipment is installed by now.

IMG_3757.jpg

There are probably 20 small spools of heavy duty cable in the locked storage container in which the chargers were shipped. Not sure if these guys are also electricians or just part of the brute squad
IMG_3755.jpg
IMG_3756.jpg
placing equipment. Most of the site work is complete though as the following pictures show, not all of the EVSE upright platforms have been filled with concrete: only 6 of 10 spots are complete . Again, surprisingly, these are all back in spots.

Stopped by again today (10/21). Contrary to what I had hoped for the previous day, I found only the 5 supercharger cabinets in place. None of the other electrical equipment had been installed. All of the pedestal foundations are now complete as are two light pole bases. One, however, was apparently mis-poured; all of the air had not been vibrated out of the concrete and it was pretty gnarly. Don't know whether it will be salvageable or whether it will need to be re-poured. While this crew is not very "peanut gallery" friendly, I did manage to find out they think their part of the project will be complete next week. I see no evidence that First Energy/Ohio Edison/Toledo Edison is doing anything about transformer installation. So in addition to that unknown, then Tesla comes in to do a final check. I'll be filling out a grid with dates and times for completion if any of you are wagering types and want to get into a forum pool.;)

Reactions: Sambas