Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New York City - 59 Allen Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new one in New York!

Also already on supercharge.info :)

upload_2018-7-25_8-3-35.png

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
I stopped by 59 Allan street last night to check out this SCer location and can say I had another great experience.

I found a $13 coupon on BestParking (ParkWiz) for $13 from 6 pm until 12 am which was more than the $7 coupon I had for Mott street at a similar time frame, but I wanted to try out Allen Street location which was also a 3 minute walk from the restaurant where I was meeting friends vs Mott Street which would have been a 10 minute walk to teh same location. so I paid $6 more but all in all it was worth it.

These were some of the friendliest attendants I have ever dealt with at an EV Charging garage. When I pulled up at 8:20 pm I explained to the valet that I was going to be about an hour and a half and that I was to charge my car and not the parking. He replied "That's what we're here for!" (or it may have been "that's what they're here for!" -- meaning the SCers) which surprised me.

I was further surprised when the same attendant mentioned: "you can track the progress with your phone -- it will tell u when to come back.."

Wow.

This guy was pretty informed!! I asked him if there was decent cellular service down below where the cars are stored and he said "yes -- of course.."

as I was leaving the garage to head to the restaurant i saw a dark grey Model 3 pulling up towards the garage and i thought -- *sugar* I didn't bother checking how many stalls (there are a total of 4 at this location) are occupied.. what if a 3rd car comes in? am I going to get hit with Idling fees?"

I use Waze for directions generally so i missed the SCer status info.

I don't have concrete stats of this charging session b/c my car's data connection crapped out shortly after my car was plugged in until 10:02 PM when I was already nearly half way home after picking up my car from the charging session. At the time I thought it wa spotty service in the garage but it turns out it was my car's hardware to blame. As an aside, my car was one of the last to roll off the line in May 2015 with 3G rather than LTE hardware. I haven't updated it yet figuring that Tesla will start charging us for Data usage eventually and I will end up tethering the car to my own data plan through the car's wifi hardware.

I can tell you I arrived at 8:20 with roughly 20 miles of rated range and my car was plugged in at 8:29 pm, according to teslaFi.

I was unable to connect to the Tesla app after leaving the garage but was able to check Teslafi and saw that my car was presently charging. unfortunately when i checked 20 minutes later i noticed that TeslaFi had not updated it's information b/c it too could no longer connect to the car, but i figured all will be well and continued with my meal. I had set a timer for 55 minutes after arriving at dinner.

I can tell you the restaurant ran my credit card at 9:32 pm and that I hung out for a little while longer after paying, My TeslaFi stats start recording again at 10:02 and I was home by 10:15 -- so I figured I left the garage at around 9:50 pm b/c it was a 25 minute drive.

The strange thing is that during this time I only received 199.01 rated miles -- and yes my car was returned to me with 220 rated miles in the tank. I wish I had stuck around the restaurant for another 10 minutes or so, but i was concerned about Idling fees, that I jumped the gun just a bit. I will say that dinner was a pretty leisurely affair and we were done with dinner when I returned to pick up the car.

All in all a very good SCing experience! It would have been better if I didn't have the connectivity issues b/c even without tesla app notifications, if i was able to connect to the app manually, i would have seen the progress rather than having to guess. anyway 200 miles of range should hold me over for the rest of the week and Mott St, Allan St, and Williamsburg are all essentially equidistant from my home (with Williamsburg being a minute or two closer actually, even though it about 3/4 of a mile further out than the other 2 locations -- gotta love NYC traffic conditions!! )

I live roughly 15 blocks from the SCer on W 75th Street, but with their rip-off parking rates, I don't think i will ever use same!