Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New York City - Mott Street, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<snip> he asked how long I was going to be there first, (12 hours) then told me it wasn’t a problem. <snip>

Then it actually charged around a 50kW max and took just more than 3 hours to go from 30% to full.

I didn't think it was good for the battery to sit at 100% full for more than a few hours before using it.

I didn't think it was good for the battery to sit at 100% full for more than a few hours before using it.

It’s not, and I typically don’t leave it as such. But when I head out to NYC, I need it on the return trip and usually you never know when they’d pull a car off a charger. I didn’t want to risk limiting it to 80% and then find out it’s no longer on the charger. But if we get consistent reports that they leave the car on, then that’s certainly an option.

It’s not, and I typically don’t leave it as such. But when I head out to NYC, I need it on the return trip and usually you never know when they’d pull a car off a charger. I didn’t want to risk limiting it to 80% and then find out it’s no longer on the charger. But if we get consistent reports that they leave the car on, then that’s certainly an option.

Where in the world can you go from this location and NOT pass another supercharger within 20 miles let alone 5 in almost every direction?

Meaning IF it will be there more than a few hours then only charge it to 90% and hit another supercharger after leaving town if necessary rather than filling it up to 100% and leaving it for 9 hours.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Where in the world can you go from this location and NOT pass another supercharger within 20 miles let alone 5 in almost every direction?

Meaning IF it will be there more than a few hours then only charge it to 90% and hit another supercharger after leaving town if necessary rather than filling it up to 100% and leaving it for 9 hours.

Hence why if your read my original post, I said I’d actually prefer a L2 Charger rather than leaving it on for 9 hours.

I’m not quite sure why you’re taking such a hostile approach to a simple report on a charger that not many people here seem to have used or know about.

As for location, feel free to chime in.

I need to go from NYC to drop off in Mendham NJ (60-70 indicated miles) then to Stockton, NJ, (55-65mi indicated ) before heading off to West Chester PA. (~80mi indicated)

I left around 8pm after a very long day in the city. Tell me how I should go to get back preferably before midnight.

Hence why if your read my original post, I said I’d actually prefer a L2 Charger rather than leaving it on for 9 hours.

I’m not quite sure why you’re taking such a hostile approach to a simple report on a charger that not many people here seem to have used or know about.

As for location, feel free to chime in.

I need to go from NYC to drop off in Mendham NJ (60-70 indicated miles) then to Stockton, NJ, (55-65mi indicated ) before heading off to West Chester PA. (~80mi indicated)

I left around 8pm after a very long day in the city. Tell me how I should go to get back preferably before midnight.

Wow, you took my previous reply as hostile? Geez, I guess I'll have to choose my words carefully then.

What's your max range? What's your 90% range?

It seems to me that you answered your own question. If it is ~135 miles distance then even a factor of 1.5x would be 202 miles of range. That would be a 100% charge of 225 miles.

I'm just wondering if you can't drive 135 miles with 202 miles of range as that should solve the issue as it would get 90% charge at a supercharger.

Help me understand what I'm missing if that's the case.

Wow, you took my previous reply as hostile? Geez, I guess I'll have to choose my words carefully then.

What's your max range? What's your 90% range?

It seems to me that you answered your own question. If it is ~135 miles distance then even a factor of 1.5x would be 202 miles of range. That would be a 100% charge of 225 miles.

I'm just wondering if you can't drive 135 miles with 202 miles of range as that should solve the issue as it would get 90% charge at a supercharger.

Help me understand what I'm missing if that's the case.

On 22s I get roughly 75% of indicated range. My 100% is 227 and my 90% is about 205.

I’ve gotten back with 4% before on a 90% charge (albeit on my 20s) but it’s also a bit close for comfort in the middle of the night. For a trip I do once every two to three months, a 100% charge on a L2 Charger isn’t too bad. It usually doesn’t sit for very long at the other garage, I’ve got that down to a science. Might just be me getting used to the timing as well.

On 22s I get roughly 75% of indicated range. My 100% is 227 and my 90% is about 205.

I’ve gotten back with 4% before on a 90% charge (albeit on my 20s) but it’s also a bit close for comfort in the middle of the night. For a trip I do once every two to three months, a 100% charge on a L2 Charger isn’t too bad. It usually doesn’t sit for very long at the other garage, I’ve got that down to a science. Might just be me getting used to the timing as well.

Yes, I agree that makes it a little too close for comfort. Parsippany, Basking Ridge, or KoP will be a perfect fit for you ... eventually.

I realize North Brunswick is slightly out of your way but might be a possibility.

Maybe every few months is not all that bad for the battery. I incorrectly assumed it was a daily or weekly occurrence.

Yes, I agree that makes it a little too close for comfort. Parsippany, Basking Ridge, or KoP will be a perfect fit for you ... eventually.

I realize North Brunswick is slightly out of your way but might be a possibility.

Maybe every few months is not all that bad for the battery. I incorrectly assumed it was a daily or weekly occurrence.

Agreed. Anything on that 202/78 corridor will be a tremendous help.

how much did you pay for parking? were you charged a fee for charging as well?

There was no extra charge for charging. Their normal rate was about $20/hr. I always use a parking app (bestparking, spothero, etc) and was able to park the entire day for $25 total. I figure I used probably about $15 worth of electricity so not too bad.

Reactions: Galve2000
I stopped by this supercharger on Saturday afternoon and had a really good experience.

I was actually headed to the Williamsburg SCer but the approach to the Williamsburg bridge was super clogged up and I figured I would be wasting half my day to get here. I 1st pulled up to Allen Street SCer which was a little closer, but while I was looking through various parking apps the best rate I found for Allan street was $25 and $16 for Mott Street if I left Mott St before 6 pm. It was already 4:45 so I had just over an hour of parking time at this rate. I could have extended parking until closing for an extra $2 but my goal is always to pay as little as possible for parking/charging. (as a reminder, parking at the Williamsburg SC costs $6 at the time of this writing, so it remains effectively the most cost-effective SC in the NYC metro area.)

When I got to the garage I was a little apprehensive b/c the poor parking attendants were a bit frazzled and they didn't seem to want to bother plugging me in. I was heartened by a pretty big red Tesla sign near the entrance of the garage proudly stating "TESLA charging here" or something like that.

worst of all, this garage is serviced by two car elevators that ferry cars between street level and the parking spaces below. I generally have a very difficult time connecting remotely to my car whenever it is parked in any NYC garage b/c the cellar service is spotty or lacking, and that is a pet peeve of mine.

I Was fretting that I would come back to my car at hour later and I would still be at the same charge level as I had dropped it off (or even worse, less than what I had dropped it off with). I explained to the attendant that I do not need an hour of parking, I need an hour of charging. he seemed to understand and I left the garage wondering how all of this would play out.

about 10 minutes later I checked my Tesla app and lo-and-behold I was charging at roughly 240 mph!!

YAY!!

so I was plugged in AND I could monitor my car while it charged...

YAY!!

I walked over to the rooftop of 50 Bowery, a hotel about 3 minutes walk form the garage. it was a glorious day in NYC on Saturday and it was a nice way to enjoy the last bit of summer while my car collected some electrons. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't charged idling feels by Tesla, and my parking coupon only guaranteed the parking rate if I was out by 6 pm so I had to keep an eye out for the time.

so my basic stats are --
a according to TeslaFi.com:

Plugged in at 5:03 pm with roughly 100 RM in the tank. (IIRC my dash said 102 or 103 but I can't remember now and my app is not giving me notifications these days, which is annoying and I need to look into..)

Unplugged at 5:51 or 48 minutes later with 238 RM in the tank, which is the max my car has been charging to at 90% for the past few weeks.

According to teslaFi, I added 138.24 kW of energy and my avg Volts and Amps were 389.7 Volts x 131.26 Amps or 51.15 kW.

When I 1st checked the app 10 minutes or so after plugging in I was charging at 70 kW, which is pretty great.

there was a bit of a wait to retrieve my car although it could not have been more than 5 or 7 minutes which in not bad at all for NYC and I gave the attendant a $2 tip when he rolled up with my car, which surprised him -- but I was pleased both with the service and the results of this charging session.

I am also happy to report I was not charged anything extra for the electrons that I consumed. While yes it would have been cheaper to charge at Williamsburg SCer, I saved well over an hour of my day by avoiding the drive to and back from Williamsburg that the $10 + $2 tip more I spent at Mott St vs Williamsburg was well worth it IMO.

I will charge here again!

I was just here yesterday afternoon and didn't have any issues at all. I knew the location has been listed as "Lease holders only" but wasn't sure if that was Weekdays only and the Attendant didn't seem to mind that I was not a Lease holder. Perhaps that's because it was Sunday? I don't know but it didn't seem to be restricted access in any way.

I wasn't able to get any Teslafi data during the charge but did confirm that it was returned with more range than when left it with them. I was only able to grab a screenshot from the app just as it was finishing charging (where the screen indicates "5 minutes remaining" although it finishes about that same time which is indicated by the 0 mi/hr charging rate).

upload_2018-10-1_11-1-1.png

but again, $27 for an hour of parking is insane.
I went to charge at that location when on vacation last week. I was in the city and had to charge. That location showed up on the navigation system under the « super chargers » list and so I thought it would be free like all other super chargers. There were 2 other chargers near where I was staying but they required a fee to be paid to use the parking and it said so on the nav system. The one on Mott street didn’t have any mention about parking fees on the navigation system or on the charge hub app so I went. When I got there the parking guy said, as if it was a good deal, that charging was free but that I needed to pay to use the parking. The fee was 20$ (flat rate that allows you to stay from 4 pm to midnight). Since I had to charge I paid. Moral of the story: there are no free super chargers in NYC. All come with parking fees. So charge outside the city.
I think that all chargers that require us to pay should be listed under « destination charging ».

I went to charge at that location when on vacation last week. I was in the city and had to charge. That location showed up on the navigation system under the « super chargers » list and so I thought it would be free like all other super chargers. There were 2 other chargers near where I was staying but they required a fee to be paid to use the parking and it said so on the nav system. The one on Mott street didn’t have any mention about parking fees on the navigation system or on the charge hub app so I went. When I got there the parking guy said, as if it was a good deal, that charging was free but that I needed to pay to use the parking. The fee was 20$ (flat rate that allows you to stay from 4 pm to midnight). Since I had to charge I paid. Moral of the story: there are no free super chargers in NYC. All come with parking fees. So charge outside the city.
I think that all chargers that require us to pay should be listed under « destination charging ».
Get used to it. As urbancharging expands in metro areas, pay parking will become much more common. Pay parking for charging exists in many places already, not just NYC. Destination chargers are L2 and should not be mixed with supercharging. Tools like Plugshare are as important as ever to get a lay of the land for charging stops before arriving.

Usually when there’s a parking fee, it will state it in the description. It’ll still show up as a red indicator; but if you click on it,a grey box pops up. I forget the wording but it’s pretty clear whether there’s a fee.

There are 0 superchargers in the 5 boroughs that have free parking and I'd expect that to continue.
Parking/land is just too expensive here they aren't going to give away parking.

Also I'd be surprised if the charging itself at Mott St was actually free.
Might have been a billing glitch (I seem to get these once at each Urban Supercharge I've used.. or more specifically on Sunday mornings)

On the Navigation screen it indicates that Parking Fees apply:

IMG_1938.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: theflyer
There are 0 superchargers in the 5 boroughs that have free parking and I'd expect that to continue.

Might have been a billing glitch (I seem to get these once at each Urban Supercharge I've used.. or more specifically on Sunday mornings)

I’ve charged on Mott. There’s a parking fee but the charge itself is free.

Edit: Sorry, I’m an oldie. Forgot free supercharger actually went away this time, so it might not be free.

Not technically true. JFK is free and the Brooklyn Museum location has a 15 minute grace period. Valley Stream, just across the line on Long Island is free parking. But your larger point is valid. Don't expect free parking anywhere in the NYC area.

Reactions: st50maint
The $6 for an hour of parking at William Vale gets my vote for the most cost effective SCer at least from Manhattan. Also, 47th street is no longer quoting the $10 evening rate that we were seeing in the fall. I paid $13 a week or two ago. still not bad. but I obviously prefer to pay $10 vs $13 to use the SCer if you know what I mean..

also, I like to hang out in Williamsburg so I don't mind treking out there from the UWS. it's certainly less of a trek than going to JFK.. which can be soul crushing to get to and get back from.. plus there is nothing to do while you charge...

but with Idle fees, you can't really "hang out" in Williamsburg anymore.. unless you arrange for the valet to unplug you once the car is done charging.

also on "event" nights you run the risk of paying $30 for parking if you stay a minute or two over the hour limit. on regular nights they will just charge you an extra $6 in parking fees if you stay over an hour. but on event nights, this grace period does not apply unless you find a nice attendant to wave the Event fee.

still.. this is the most accommodating SCing garage in NYC. every other garage.. forget it.. they look at you with a straight face and say "its $40 for an hour of parking..." particularly on "event" nights..

Reactions: JSergeant
Good to know it shows now that a parking fee applies... As for charging fees, the parking attendant told me multiple times that there weren’t any so I’d tend to believe him. When I thought about it, it makes sense that there are no superchargers in the city because they’re primarily for long distance travel and as such located near highways. Although it would be nice to make the detour to go into the city to charge as there’s lots to do, I believe having to pay the bridge toll and waste time getting in and out of the city would turn off most people anyways... Thanks for your input guys.