Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Newark now charging only at 36kW. Have tried two stalls. Odd.

Xen, did you get there with a cold battery pack?

I think in the past (last winter) people have said that Tesla limits the rate of charge if the battery pack is cold. Similar, the car limits regen when the pack is cold.

I was there about 9:15am today. No issues. Came in with 91 miles, charged at around 282 miles/hr, left with about 200 in about 20-25 minutes.

Xen, did you get there with a cold battery pack?

I think in the past (last winter) people have said that Tesla limits the rate of charge if the battery pack is cold. Similar, the car limits regen when the pack is cold.

This must have been it. I don't remember exactly if it was cold or not, but as it was early morning that's likely the case. I'll make sure to blast the heat in the car next time :D

Reactions: NJ Plugin
I think the car starts limiting at something like 50 F or 60 F pack temperatures - I often see the first level regen limit leaving work this last week or two.

I've learned this lesson the hard, way, staying 5 minutes from the Newark SC in 20F weather.
Then in the spring staying 5 minutes from the Hamilton, NJ SC in 50F weather. Now we stay
at least 10-15 miles away from superchargers :)

I've learned this lesson the hard, way, staying 5 minutes from the Newark SC in 20F weather.
Then in the spring staying 5 minutes from the Hamilton, NJ SC in 50F weather. Now we stay
at least 10-15 miles away from superchargers :)

Same here - except the lesson I learned when traveling electric is to charge up the night before while the battery is still warm from driving. Leave the next morning with more than enough charge to make it to your next stop/supercharger.

Same here - except the lesson I learned when traveling electric is to charge up the night before while the battery is still warm from driving. Leave the next morning with more than enough charge to make it to your next stop/supercharger.

In my case both times I was pulling into the hotel ~11pm and figured it would be easier to supercharge while having breakfast.

In my case both times I was pulling into the hotel ~11pm and figured it would be easier to supercharge while having breakfast.

Fair enough.

When I arrive at a Supercharger location I usually have less than 10% battery left. If it's cold out I feel that is too low to leave the car outside overnight (and in fact the car warns to charge and that I may have significantly less energy the next morning) without charging. Another reason I usually charge the night before.

In a perfect world, every place we stayed would have adequate L2 chargers and we could just plug in at the hotel and have a full charge the next morning. Someday....

Mike

Odd thing today. Pulled up to the Newark SC this evening; it was empty and correctly identified on the Nav as having 12/12 stalls empty.

Came back about a half-hour later, there were two other cars charging but the Nav said that only 6/12 stalls were available. I rechecked a couple of minutes later and, with the same three cars charging it had 3/12 empty. One last time after I disconnected also said 3/12.

Doesn't put a lot of faith into the reliability of the information.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux and Austral
Odd thing today. Pulled up to the Newark SC this evening; it was empty and correctly identified on the Nav as having 12/12 stalls empty.

Came back about a half-hour later, there were two other cars charging but the Nav said that only 6/12 stalls were available. I rechecked a couple of minutes later and, with the same three cars charging it had 3/12 empty. One last time after I disconnected also said 3/12.

Doesn't put a lot of faith into the reliability of the information.

The information is correct, but there is a delay in the reporting which in my opinion is the culprit and ultimately causes planning issues with charging. Tip for those enroute to a charger, check every 10mins to see the activity of a charger to determine if you should proceed or go elsewhere. If the charger is 1-2 cars from full you should probably go elsewhere, but if its more then proceed and you would only have lost 20mins either way.

I would love to see superchargers always on on the map and always showing realtime data within the viewing range of the screen of course. Right now if you chart a course to a SC you will see the SC as a destination and have to press it to see the status.

e. If the charger is 1-2 cars from full you should probably go elsewhere, but if its more then proceed and you would only have lost 20mins either way.

But it really could go either way... even if it's listed as "full" or "near full" that info is likely delayed, and/or several cars could finish up an leave before you get there. It's really a crapshoot.

What's really required to make it useful to make a prediction is (a) how many are charging, (b) at what rate, and (c) how many are nearly finished charging or near full SOC%, and (d) no reporting delay. Then and only then can you make a prediction as to what will be available when you get there.

As it is now, it really doesn't give you actionable info.

Reactions: Pollux and vdiv
The information is correct, but there is a delay in the reporting which in my opinion is the culprit and ultimately causes planning issues with charging. Tip for those enroute to a charger, check every 10mins to see the activity of a charger to determine if you should proceed or go elsewhere. If the charger is 1-2 cars from full you should probably go elsewhere, but if its more then proceed and you would only have lost 20mins either way.

For lag to be the explanation for what I witnessed, it would have to be a lot more than 10 minutes. Otherwise you would have to postulate that within a 30 minute time span, 8 other cars arrived at the charger, and then 6 charged and left before I got back.

But it really could go either way... even if it's listed as "full" or "near full" that info is likely delayed, and/or several cars could finish up an leave before you get there. It's really a crapshoot.

What's really required to make it useful to make a prediction is (a) how many are charging, (b) at what rate, and (c) how many are nearly finished charging or near full SOC%, and (d) no reporting delay. Then and only then can you make a prediction as to what will be available when you get there.

As it is now, it really doesn't give you actionable info.

Unless you're making a decision from only a few minutes away, that still won't be enough - in the time it takes to get there, half a dozen folks on long trips could show up.

The only way the status is going to really be helpful for the folks on long trips that are the main purpose of the system is when it becomes reliably predictive.

I do think that will happen fairly soon. The only thing Tesla can really do with locals is look for patterns in the usage data, but with long trips they can do more.

When I enter a destination that's beyond battery range, 8.0 firmware and later will automatically lay out a sequence of Superchargers to get me there - with estimated arrival times and SoCs, and estimated stop lengths for every stop.

If Tesla had the car pass that information up to a server and assembled it all, they would quickly get a good idea for what future loading from folks driving with Navigation looks like. It might be off by a little here and there, but it should be close.

Once they get confident with that and add some guesses about locals charging, they can start to deconflict it. The obvious way is to send folks running on Nav to less busy sites that overlap busier chains, but they can help even in places where there's only a single viable chain by level loading.

If the system knows that your next stop will be busy, it can set the "enough to reach your destination" notification to show up at a higher charge state where you are now, so you need less time there - conversely, it can get you out of here with just enough to spare and charge up more at the next site if there's a crowd coming.

If a block of folks are traveling close to the same time and route but aren't actually together, charging the later cars higher in the early stops can separate them during the trips without changing arrival times much.

The problem with routing folks to alternate sites (if there are any) is that they will need the extra charge to get there, which will also take longer or may be something they don't have. The need for extra charge would have to be predicted hours in advance. With single digit stalls the availability is quantum in nature, Schrodinger's cat at play :)

The problem with routing folks to alternate sites (if there are any) is that they will need the extra charge to get there, which will also take longer or may be something they don't have. The need for extra charge would have to be predicted hours in advance. With single digit stalls the availability is quantum in nature, Schrodinger's cat at play :)

In a lot of California, you drive right past two or three sites between sites you stop at, because there are so many. This was the kind of environment where I was suggesting alternate sites - instead of the first and fourth site along your existing route, it'd suggest stopping at the second and fifth.

Yeah, those are defacto one location though with the benefit of some geo redundancy. It appears that is a better way to scale up the network than just adding stations to the same site. I think that some blocking and queuing is economically unavoidable even if we try to optimize the existing capacity.

Yeah, those are defacto one location though with the benefit of some geo redundancy. It appears that is a better way to scale up the network than just adding stations to the same site. I think that some blocking and queuing is economically unavoidable even if we try to optimize the existing capacity

Yes some. But the probability goes down with more stalls per location.
More locations with more stalls is better ;-)

You may find this classic thread enlightening.
Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

Reactions: Skipdd and vdiv
Yes some. But the probability goes down with more stalls per location.
More locations with more stalls is better ;-)

You may find this classic thread enlightening.
Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

Amusing in an interesting way to see trunk engineering used to calculate optimum SpC sizing. Would like to see an update using current data and projections with Model 3 rollout.