Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But are they looking at it? If so, you'd think there would be some sort of remediation by now.

I did get a reply to my message about the SC status at Newark. The SC team is aware of the issue and is actively (their words) looking into solutions at this time. I do look at this as a good response and not just placating a customer.:wink:

Oh, right, six stalls. I've only been there twice -- on my way to/from.. Hickory, NC! I guess in my mind's eye, I remembered 8 stalls. Great restaurant there too, Kahills.

I didn't realize before you were in Hickory. On my way out of town, I stopped at the Chademo charger at the Nissan dealership there, but it overheated only after 15 minutes, so I didn't have enough charge to get to Burlington, NC, so I have to detour down to Charlotte to charge, and then to Burlington.

Oh, so those were your comments I saw about it on Plugshare. Stop by next time. I'm < 10 minutes from there and have two HPWC @ 80A.

Eh, I'd rather have a SC in Harrisburg or on I-80 than more stalls in Newark. I always skip Newark when heading south anyway.

I agree it's important to add locations, especially to close gaps along high-traffic routes. I'm eager to see superchargers in Harrisburg and along the I-80 & I-81 corridors in PA. But I'm also sure Tesla wants to balance that against people having a negative experience (i.e. having to wait due to congestion), given that one important function of the supercharger network is marketing.

I skip Newark going North (as I leave home with enough charge to hit NJ and charge at one of the many locations along the Turnpike). I usually can't skip it going south (without having a much longer charge at the previous SpC stop).

I also agree with the suggestion that Tesla can open another location somewhere between DC and DE, that would also alleviate the congestion at Newark.

So I'm all for more locations that can fix the Newark issue (and more locations in general), though adding one on I-80 isn't going to do help this problem. Just because Person X doesn't use Newark, doesn't mean it's not a problem site. I don't use the CA chargers, why should I care if they're overcrowded? (logic doesn't hold)

And good that Tesla is aware it's an issue.

Guess I didn't have to worry--only one here right now.
6a45e364150d58e290bb4dd42a7a0f8d.jpg

While I think it would be great to add another location along I-95 between DC & NJ/NY to provide more routing options, I would really hope Tesla navigation would add some capability to forecast charger availability. It would be annoying, at the least, to bypass Newark only to have to re-route, or wait for a stall to open up. In that sense, expanding/upgrading Newark is probably the best solution. Just my $0.02 in case @TeslaMotors is reading.

PS - I hate the lines too, but I have learned to aim for the Supercharger signs. Line up the pole with the middle head rest, ignore the lines, and you're good to go!

Was empty when I got there at 6pm, when I left at 620 the last spot was being taken, and he tried to line up with the stripes on the ground....

Also had a lookloo, guy came up watched the two of us charging, checked out the rear of the other car, the front of my car, checked out the supercharger.

I exchanged glances with the lady in the other car, and we both had an expression of "yep, this is happening"

I tried to make eye contact to tell him it's a Tesla, blah blah blah. He never looked my way.

Was empty when I got there at 6pm, when I left at 620 the last spot was being taken, and he tried to line up with the stripes on the ground....

Also had a lookloo, guy came up watched the two of us charging, checked out the rear of the other car, the front of my car, checked out the supercharger.

I exchanged glances with the lady in the other car, and we both had an expression of "yep, this is happening"

I tried to make eye contact to tell him it's a Tesla, blah blah blah. He never looked my way.

Probably thought those 'hoses' were filling the gas tank.

I caught up with the Manager of the rest stop on Friday along with the manager of the Starbucks. As many are aware there is construction going on for a new stand alone Stabucks with a drive thru. I was hoping TM may be putting in more Charging stations since this construction is running new electric and the future building will be equally accessible to north and south bound traffic.

Unfortunately neither person has heard anything about more SCs.

Someone spoke to the rest stop management a few months ago and at that time Tesla had not been in contact with them regarding expansion options :/

That would be me. 'Host America' is the lessee of the rest stop. The manager has heard nothing. They are ready to open a drive through Starbucks in the next week and I was hoping that with all the construction TM would have added another 4 stalls, minimum.

I have written to TM and received an assurance that they are aware of the bottleneck. Whether they rectify it with additional stalls there (my preference) or at another rest stop on I95, perhaps in MD, does not matter and has been discussed here a bit.

Any additional contact with 'TM ownership' would be a good idea.

Also, TM opened a kiosk within the nearby mall ( literally 2 miles away ). They charge their test drive cars there. Maybe if they see a bottleneck it will help.