Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is great news. I imagine that the old ones will be retired rather than retained, but 12 chargers is still fantastic.

Now, about that Atlantic City location...

Agreed: Could really use 8-12 chargers as it is great location: Junctions of I95/Route 1 and near bifurcation of roads towards Philadelphia or up the NJ turnpike towards NYC north and Baltimore/WDC south.

I was told back in December that the expansion site will be where shown by the blue arrow below.

I took these photos of that area which seems to correlate with the site in the photos that Bhuwan took.

My guess2.jpg

Newarkscb2.jpg

Newarkscb1.jpg

Lanny

Only problem with the possible new site: We will all sell fewer Teslas; Only very rarely did I not spend time talking up Teslas because of the proximity to the main guest service area.

Only problem with the possible new site: We will all sell fewer Teslas; Only very rarely did I not spend time talking up Teslas because of the proximity to the main guest service area.

Funny, because I've charged at Newark probably 10 times or more, and never once talked to anyone. I think once I spoke to another MS owner.

I think having an anti-ICEing location is 10x more important than being an uncompensated sales person.

Funny, because I've charged at Newark probably 10 times or more, and never once talked to anyone. I think once I spoke to another MS owner.

I think having an anti-ICEing location is 10x more important than being an uncompensated sales person.

Hank..uncompensated?....I charge for test rides (j/k):wink:. Agree completely that it is a better site when all things are considered.

I am there as I type this. Lanny is correct. the temporary fence is around the site. Dumpster, Portapot, Equipment trailer, 6 boxes labelled DC supercharger, 3 wrapped gray transformers. suspect 6 chargers unless someone tells me there are two Scs in each wodden box.

Best news I've gotten all day. All week. By far. And I don't even drive this corridor as much as some other people here do.

I agree it's a better location overall -- sure, it's a longer walk to the main building, but it looks more convenient for northbound travelers, and yeah, less congestion overall. Plenty of space to wait for a charger to free up after Model 3 becomes a runaway success. ;-)

I was wondering where it was in relation to the new Starbucks, and I found this on Google Maps Street View from November 2015:
NewarkDE-2015-11.png

The gas station and some truck parking spaces are behind the camera. I hadn't realized before that the Starbucks is so much closer to the northbound side; for some reason I had remembered it being closer to the middle. I use the section of road in the foreground to cross over and reach the existing superchargers when I'm traveling northbound.

Based on Bhuwan's photos, particularly the orange construction fence, I suspect Lanny's map above is accurate.

So if construction goes smoothly, we're looking at mid-March or so? 2016. :)

I am there as I type this. Lanny is correct. the temporary fence is around the site. Dumpster, Portapot, Equipment trailer, 6 boxes labelled DC supercharger, 3 wrapped gray transformers. suspect 6 chargers unless someone tells me there are two Scs in each wodden box.

Two pedestals per cabinet. If it's the big crates from the pic, that would mean 12 spots. Or retrofit the existing four and add 8.

Two pedestals per cabinet. If it's the big crates from the pic, that would mean 12 spots. Or retrofit the existing four and add 8.

Agreed, if there are 6 of those wood boxes with the "DRIVE SLOWLY" red lettering, that likely means they're putting in 6 supercharger cabinets and therefore 12 pedestals. The "3 wrapped gray transformers" are more likely the distribution center, i.e. giant circuit breakers.
Reference: Cottonwood's post from January 2014 in the giant Tesla Supercharger Network thread, with an annotated photo of the Blanding UT supercharger under construction:
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 312

Agreed, if there are 6 of those wood boxes with the "DRIVE SLOWLY" red lettering, that likely means they're putting in 6 supercharger cabinets and therefore 12 pedestals. The "3 wrapped gray transformers" are more likely the distribution center, i.e. giant circuit breakers.
Reference: Cottonwood's post from January 2014 in the giant Tesla Supercharger Network thread, with an annotated photo of the Blanding UT supercharger under construction:
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 312

Then based on some recent posts: 12 stations would be my best guess. Also, the existing 4 work well and I would question why they would decommission them..especially with more and more Teslas on the road.

Here are the additional photos as promised.
Looking south toward the original chargers.
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

The snow fencing installation was completed before I left the parking lot.
FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Six crates: assuming these are the power controllers
FullSizeRender_3.jpg

FullSizeRender_4.jpg

Close-up of the crates:
FullSizeRender_5.jpg

Transformers:
FullSizeRender_6.jpg

FullSizeRender_7.jpg

Six controllers and what I believe are the boxed tombstone parts (long and low). Notice the end posts in the next photo.
FullSizeRender_8.jpg

There are three crates each holding eight edge posts... 24 posts. Two per station, 12 stations. Still just guessing.
FullSizeRender_9.jpg

This is the new Starbucks directly across the parking lot backing up to the Northbound side.
FullSizeRender_10.jpg

Met these fine gentlemen. They were pretty cagey - like they were working for the CIA or something! They did come over to check out the P85+.
FullSizeRender.jpg

I'll take 3/31... Tesla is going to do a ribbon cutting at Newark, the Model 3 reveal, the Model S refresh/facelift, release Autopilot V2, announce plans for the Model Y, introduce the newest 110kWh battery, and finally restore the classic UI as an option for pre AP cars.

It's going to be a very busy day.

(Obviously I was joking about the UI, that will never happen.)

Here are the additional photos as promised.

Six crates: assuming these are the power controllers
View attachment 111706

Transformers:
View attachment 111709

Thanks very much for the pictures! Keep them coming!!

I regularly award reputation points for good Supercharger pictures.

Here are couple of small clarifications on terminology:
  • What you call "Power Controllers" are usually referred to as "Supercharger Cabinets."
  • What you lable as transformers are actually parts of the "Distribution Center," actually a giant circuit breaker cabinet. The actual transformer is almost always installed by the local power utility later.

Because a picture is often worth far more than a 1,000 words, here is a picture from Blanding, UT that I have posted many times showing the components of a Supercharger Site:

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg