Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which North Jersey\LI SCs do you use - I'll be making this trip in the next few weeks from Western Suffolk, and EV Trip Planner has me going Syosset to Edison and then straight down to Newark; seems like a long run, especially in cold weather. I have a 90D and I used 1.3 speed, 72 cabin and 30 external, 200 lb payload.

I've done Edison NJ to Newark DE many many times in my 85 in cold weather. Always leave with 90% charge and make it with 0 issues
Sent from mobile

But really, what else would they do with the 4 old supercharger spaces? Make it more unenforced "clean fuel" spaces like the rest of that row? Install more L2 stations or non-supercharger L3 stations? It would seem cost-inefficient to remove them since they work just fine.

Converting the old stalls to Destination Chargers (2 HPWCs + 2 J1772) would make a lot of people really happy, i.e. Roadsters and other EVs.

Converting the old stalls to Destination Chargers (2 HPWCs + 2 J1772) would make a lot of people really happy, i.e. Roadsters and other EVs.

True that more L2 stations would be a help for non-S/X drivers, that would be good to see. But why not add instead of replace? I don't see Tesla shrinking any time soon, and I really don't see the point in ripping out infrastructure that works just fine, as long as the local grid can handle it. Judging by the giant transmission lines on the other side of I-95 I imagine there's enough power. And based on the comments on the new supercharger location, there are underutilized parking spaces on the property that could handle "non-super" charging stations.

Progress as of today: When I stopped by to take pictures I noted all 4 SC bays full and 1 car waiting: I took the second picture to show the 12 'stall stanchions' to reconfirm 12 stalls going in.

I like the idea of L2 chargers change in the original spots

12.JPG
13.JPG

Last edited:
Progress as of today: When I stopped by to take pictures I noted all 4 SC bays full and 1 car waiting: I took the second picture to show the 12 'stall stanchions' to reconfirm 12 stalls going in.

I like the idea of L2 chargers change in the original spots
Level 2 chargers are nearly useless on a highway. A highway rest stop isn't a destination. Anyone who needs to stop to level 2 charge for hours at a highway rest stop because their car can't DC charge probably shouldn't be making that trip in an EV.

Level 2 chargers are nearly useless on a highway. A highway rest stop isn't a destination. Anyone who needs to stop to level 2 charge for hours at a highway rest stop because their car can't DC charge probably shouldn't be making that trip in an EV.

There already are high-amp level 2 chargers at this rest stop--2 of them, I think? 70 amp J1772, if memory serves. They are in the truck parking area.

My understanding is that the four Tesla stalls at the original location are going to remain.

Nissan and BMW/VW both have DC Fast Charger installation programs and are free to negotiate with the rest area to install equipment to serve their customers. The door is open for a commercial charging provider such as NRG eVgo to establish a location there.

Even better, the state of Delaware has an Alternative Fueling Infrastructure Grant that is available to help fund DC Fast Charging stations in the state. There is $1.4 million available for private or public alternative-fueling infrastructure. Perhaps an entity can apply for that grant to help pay for CHAdeMO and SAE Combo chargers at the Delaware Welcome Center.

Better hurry, the deadline for applications is February 29th. source

Lanny

You beat me to it.

If Tesla would install even one HPWC at each SuperCharger location, ALL Tesla owners could benefit from this charging network.

To be fair, there are two 80Amp J1772 stations in the Truck Parking area at this rest stop (which I use frequently), but Tesla had nothing to do with putting those in.

- - - Updated - - -

As a Roadster owner who does road trips, I beg to differ!

Don't be such a SuperCharging snob - there are different EVs for different tastes, and I wouldn't give up my Roadster for anything.

There are a slowly-growing number of 80Amp J1772 stations in the wild, and the Destination Charger program certainly helps, but if Tesla would simply put ONE 80Amp HPWC (or 70Amp HPC) at each SuperCharger location, then ALL Tesla owners would benefit.

You beat me to it.

If Tesla would install even one HPWC at each SuperCharger location, ALL Tesla owners could benefit from this charging network.

To be fair, there are two 80Amp J1772 stations in the Truck Parking area at this rest stop (which I use frequently), but Tesla had nothing to do with putting those in.

- - - Updated - - -

As a Roadster owner who does road trips, I beg to differ!

Don't be such a SuperCharging snob - there are different EVs for different tastes, and I wouldn't give up my Roadster for anything.

There are a slowly-growing number of 80Amp J1772 stations in the wild, and the Destination Charger program certainly helps, but if Tesla would simply put ONE 80Amp HPWC (or 70Amp HPC) at each SuperCharger location, then ALL Tesla owners would benefit.

Tesla's future is Supercharging. Superchargers' speed allow them to serve a much larger volume of cars. Putting a 70A 240V charger at a Supercharger site is a waste of a space. Wrong type of site, pointlessly slow.

How can we get a Construction Cone on Supercharge.Info for the expansion? With only 2 sites under construction in the U.S. and a total of 5 world-wide, it would be nice to show a bit more progress. Having a site with 12 or perhaps 16 stalls is hopefully signs of things to come.

How can we get a Construction Cone on Supercharge.Info for the expansion? With only 2 sites under construction in the U.S. and a total of 5 world-wide, it would be nice to show a bit more progress. Having a site with 12 or perhaps 16 stalls is hopefully signs of things to come.

From the about page at supercharge.info -

This site was created by Tesla forum member Blueshift. Tesla enthusiasts from around the globe have contributed by sending notification of new sites, status updates, and corrections. Anyone may email [email protected] with new information. Include a link to the information source in emails if possible. This site is updated daily. The latest version can also be found on TESLARATI.com at Interactive Tesla Supercharger Map.

With that said, I'm not sure I've seen a spot on the map with a construction cone and a red dot, though I have a red/blue dot (Cleveland, for example, where they have limited hours.)

While progress would be nice to show, not sure we want to muck up the map for expansion purposes since it is "open."

A good "progress" indicator to me has always been looking at the charts page and seeing how many SCs have opened over a period of time. World-wide, they've opened over 2 a week since the beginning of 2016 (2015 averaged 5 a week the entire year; 6.6 for 1/1/2015-2/24/2015.) In North America, they're averaging less than one a week right now; 2015 on average was just over 2 a week and 1/1/2015-2/24/2015 was 3.75/week.) So things are definitely slowing down, which makes sense. As time goes on, they're going to be adding less and less SCs on average.

Last edited: