Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they are for SOLAR PANELS and POWERPACKS!!!!!!
Could be! I originally thought they might support another six sets of two chargers but I like your idea much better. There is a little real estate for solar panels or even an awning over the parking spaces. There are in fact, footings with open conduit installed behind the chargers. I'll take another look today. The only unused raw materials on site are the planks for the shed walls. If a solar installation is planned, I'd expect to see steel structure pieces somewhere.

Last edited:
Maybe they are for SOLAR PANELS and POWERPACKS!!!!!!

I'd bet at least the power pack part is correct. It appears those capped off conduits conduits at the rear of the pad are runs in to the switchgear, which would allow an interconnect for a powerpack in the future.

Borrowing a couple of the earlier pics from this thread (you may need to zoom in to see detail in the areas I circled in red):

1) It appears that some of the conduits of the same size stubbed up in the switchgear cabinet locations have a radius bending backwards to wards those rear pad locations (the ones with bends the other direction are likely from the transformer):
DESCSIteFront.jpg

2) This rear shot shows what appear to be extra taped off conduits that match the diameter of the capped pipes stubbed up in to the bottom of the switch cabinet:
DESCSiteBack.jpg

The primary feed from the transformer and the feeds out to the supercharger cabinets appear to already have conductors in them on the left side.

The numbers match as well.... 6 stubbed up conduits allows a run to and from each switch cabinet to insert a powerpack in the chain.

Ashamed to report that after almost 3 years of ownership, when catching up on this thread I realized that I don't in fact have the SC pairing chart nailed. I thought I understood: if someone's at 1A, I avoid 1B and go to 2A. Clearly, I'm a dolt. Would one of you nice people mind pointing me to the correct chart / explanation? Maybe there are others on this thread who would also benefit. Thank you.

if someone's at 1A, I avoid 1B and go to 2A
that is correct... I thought? avoid same numbers. I dont supercharge much at all, so Im not an expert. I look at it as the first character being the parent, and the second character the child. So you have "1" as parents of "A" and "B." parent shares the same power source with its children. I hope I dont have this backwards....

that is correct... I thought? avoid same numbers. I dont supercharge much at all, so Im not an expert. I look at it as the first character being the parent, and the second character the child. So you have "1" as parents of "A" and "B." parent shares the same power source with its children. I hope I dont have this backwards....
I believe there is different number schemes at different superchargers so there is some variation depending on location.

Ashamed to report that after almost 3 years of ownership, when catching up on this thread I realized that I don't in fact have the SC pairing chart nailed. I thought I understood: if someone's at 1A, I avoid 1B and go to 2A. Clearly, I'm a dolt. Would one of you nice people mind pointing me to the correct chart / explanation? Maybe there are others on this thread who would also benefit. Thank you.

Lifted from the Supercharger thread on TM.
SUPERCHARGER TIPS AND REVIEWS | Tesla Motors

3 years - can't blame that all on the raffle :)

Lifted from the Supercharger thread on TM.
SUPERCHARGER TIPS AND REVIEWS | Tesla Motors

3 years - can't blame that all on the raffle :)

@Half Dollar Bill, thanks for the pointer! Damn, now I remember reading that same text three years ago. The part that's easy for me is the "don't use the other partner in a pair" when someone's already charging there. The part that ISN'T easy for me is the whole thing where somehow a charger elsewhere in the row is ALSO to be avoided. I dunno how to put that formula into words (and didn't see a clear explanation when I revisited the page courtesy of your tip). Maybe I should just print out that checkerboard and carry a copy in the car.

Raffle - oh, man, if there's a sure cure for social media presence (for me), it's a raffle. Followed up by moving from MA to MD (in progress). The raffle knocked me unconscious since January 1 and the whole get-the-house-ready-and-find-a-new-one-thing has severely cut into my valuable TMC time. :)

Alan

P.S. And talk about embarrassing... today is the first time I caught up on a bunch of TMC threads, including this one about the new SCs @ Newark, DE. But I drove Boston/DC twice last month, charged in Newark both times, and COMPLETELY MISSED THE NEW CONSTRUCTION both times, even though both times I had plenty of extra time to chat with other Tesla owners at the SC. I hang my head in shame...

The part that ISN'T easy for me is the whole thing where somehow a charger elsewhere in the row is ALSO to be avoided. I dunno how to put that formula into words (and didn't see a clear explanation when I revisited the page courtesy of your tip). Maybe I should just print out that checkerboard and carry a copy in the car.[/USER]

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to by the stall elsewhere in the row should also be avoided, but here is my guess.. see if this helps:

You have it correct - 1A and 1B share, 2A and 2B share, etc. This is how 99% of the SCs work. There may still be a few very old locations that don't use this standard. What I think you're getting at is that 1A and 1B MAY not be physically next to each other. This is true. The PHYSICAL placement of the stalls varies by location, and it's dictated by the lease agreement and the nature of the parking. If all slots are Tesla EV charging only, then it goes 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B ... If half the spots are Tesla EV charging only, and the other half are general parking, then the stalls are usually placed "1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B". This way each dedicated charging spot shares an SC cabinet with a general parking spot which may be ICEd. What Tesla is trying to avoid is two cars sharing a charging cabinet while another sits idle because of non-Teslas in the general parking.

Make sense? Just follow the labeling on the pedestals and you'll be good every time.

Reactions: Pollux and vdiv