Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Photo by Naman Bhatia. Only 24 hours after powering up, the Newark Supercharger is busy at the start of a major holiday weekend.

image1a-X2.jpg

What's wrong with 1A, 1B? It's better than 1, 2, 3, 4 as you wouldn't be able to determine the pairs?

There's absolutely no need to label them as A/B -- that info is superfluous to any regular user. They should just be labeled with BIG numbers on each pair, or as I've suggested many times, color coded pairs ("red pair", "blue pair", etc). So if you see someone on one of the RED stalls, don't go to the other RED stall, etc. The A/B parts just makes it really confusing to people who don't understand it.

Also, when approaching a SC location exactly like in that photo, you CAN NOT SEE THE STALL NUMBERS where cars are already parked! You have to park, and then walk up and down to figure out which stalls are used and which one to best charge on. If they had BIG numbers and/or colors AT THE TOP OF THE STALL, it would be trivial to drive up and quickly determine which stall to pull in to.

Like I've said dozens of times, the 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B system was designed by engineers, not user interface/user experience people. -- AND IT NEEDS TO CHANGE!

Regarding a ribbon-cutting....

I didn't realize I got promoted to Mid-Atlantic Master of Ceremonies. I guess having a bag full of scissors does that for you :)

1) From delanman's pix above in #602 it almost looks like a moot point. But,
2) I'm a firm believer in the "sooner is better" theory. So, I encourage Syd and JacobP and anyone else that wants to get together at Newark on Saturday to do it. There's never a bad day to be out in your Tesla.
3) I'm (and others, but only speaking for me here) not available this weekend because of other plans. That's what you get for guessing 4/15. I was planning to stop by next weekend, more so just to try out and oggle the new installation, but if it's convenient for others as well, then great, I'll bring the bag with the scissors. The Allentown and Tannersville events gravitated toward a noon time and from previous posts it appears that's what others were trying to coordinate for this event, so that's fine with me.

So, 4/2 at noon for my bag of scissors and ribbon. Maybe we'll be the second set of pictures if others beat it to us tomorrow, but that won't bother me. With 12 stalls I guess I'll need to pick up a few more somewhere.

Maybe I’m just to old, just don’t charge next to someone, problem solved. No need to be able to count.

Sure, but by doing that, depending on the numbering scheme, you might just end up on their paired stall, and you'd get very little charge until they're done.

In Woodbridge, the stalls are:

1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B.

If people are in 1A, 3A and 1B, and you go to 3B so you're not next to anyone, you're screwed.

There's absolutely no need to label them as A/B -- that info is superfluous to any regular user. They should just be labeled with BIG numbers on each pair, or as I've suggested many times, color coded pairs ("red pair", "blue pair", etc). So if you see someone on one of the RED stalls, don't go to the other RED stall, etc. The A/B parts just makes it really confusing to people who don't understand it.

Also, when approaching a SC location exactly like in that photo, you CAN NOT SEE THE STALL NUMBERS where cars are already parked! You have to park, and then walk up and down to figure out which stalls are used and which one to best charge on. If they had BIG numbers and/or colors AT THE TOP OF THE STALL, it would be trivial to drive up and quickly determine which stall to pull in to.

Like I've said dozens of times, the 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B system was designed by engineers, not user interface/user experience people. -- AND IT NEEDS TO CHANGE!

Ok, so you see value in communicating the pairs. You just don't like the method by which Tesla is doing it. Many people would still miss colors, but you're right, it would be easier to see.

Viewing the Newark Supercharger in real time:

1. Delaware Department of Transportation - Live Traffic
2. Select the traffic cam icon.
3. Select the camera on the map where I-95 splits into Southbound/Northbound paths.

You will have 60 seconds of viewing.

Here's an example from a few minutes ago. Notice the spot being ICE'd!!! They left a few minutes later.

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.28.15 PM.jpg

But this is distressing! Looks like someone is having a rally without us.
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 11.07.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Nice find @delanman! If you look at the cam at noon tomorrow, you'll see Simeon Silver and Nautilus Blue there. This trip is dubbed the Delaware Dozen Dash. Going to check out the 12 new Supercharger stalls tomorrow because we can't make it there next weekend.