Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple question. Does Tesla post an alert of super charger closures anywhere?

I normally stop at Newark on the way back home. I would be screwed if I pulled into Newark with 35 miles left.
I have seen on the SpC map in car a big circle with a line through it implying the SpC is closed in the past. I would assume the route planner in the car (for those that use it) would try to avoid it, but I never tried.

I don't know if they did that this time.

I normally stop at Newark on the way back home. I would be screwed if I pulled into Newark with 35 miles left.

There are two J1772 75A/18kW public chargers on the other side of the Welcome center so you wouldn't be screwed necessarily. Not ideal of course, but better than nothing.

PlugShare Web v2

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and Pollux

It'll show you on the map in car, and not sure if you're aware but assuming you're coming from Baltimore or more south than that, there are now NorthEast MD, and Aberdeen locations open. Plenty of options on the Baltimore -> Philly stretch now.

No cones today, looks like some is charging or hoping to.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenius
@Xenius

can you comment on the general performance of the SuperChargers on your trip from the Falcon Heavy up I-95?

I'm driving down to Naples, FL from NYC in a few weeks -- at trip I did 2 years ago -- and I am worried that the new supercharger taper will make my trip much longer than it was back then.

My "Master Plan" is to do NYC-Charleston, SC in one day. and then Charleston, SC to Naples, FL on driving day 2.

Headed back at the end of March from Naples to NYC, I will probably do Naples to Savannah, GA on Day 1, Savannah to DC on Day 2, and DC to NYC on Day 3.

but i'm worried that my tip down will be really ambitious given the new SuperCharger taper. what can you comment on this?

Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread.

CMM.

@Xenius

can you comment on the general performance of the SuperChargers on your trip from the Falcon Heavy up I-95?

I'm driving down to Naples, FL from NYC in a few weeks -- at trip I did 2 years ago -- and I am worried that the new supercharger taper will make my trip much longer than it was back then.

My "Master Plan" is to do NYC-Charleston, SC in one day. and then Charleston, SC to Naples, FL on driving day 2.

Headed back at the end of March from Naples to NYC, I will probably do Naples to Savannah, GA on Day 1, Savannah to DC on Day 2, and DC to NYC on Day 3.

but i'm worried that my tip down will be really ambitious given the new SuperCharger taper. what can you comment on this?

CMM.
Good luck on your trip....after a cold January, Feb. weather in Naples has been spectacular.

In case you don't know, Westin Savannah has charging capability just outside main entrance and I stop there often on my trips up from Naples (you can bypass Sav. airport charging which oftentimes is slow).

In Charleston, we stayed once at the Belmont (didn't like hotel per se) which also has charging capability.

On our trip to New York a couple of years ago, we took the Chesapeake Bridge route heading back...a little longer but a great bypass of DC traffic with plenty of SC along the way.....

@Xenius

CMM.

With your S85, even with your likely available usable KwH, you will be totally fine. I have a rated 244 miles at 100% currently. Coming from NYC, you'll likely want something like Newark DE, Woodbridge VA, Rocky Mount NC, Santee NC, Savannah GA (awesome, awesome spot). You will be totally fine. Enjoy the trip! Feel free to PM if you want more info.

In Charleston, we stayed once at the Belmont (didn't like hotel per se) which also has charging capability.

I'm probably staying at the Belmond as I've stayed there years ago and enjoyed it. I'll have 2 doggies in tow and the fees at the Marriott "Grand Bohemian" just a block or two north of the Belmond (where there is also a Destination Charger) are a bit cheaper for 2 dogs and the room rate slightly cheaper as well but honestly they are both in the same ballpark. I may try the Grand Bohemian just to try a different hotel.

On our trip to New York a couple of years ago, we took the Chesapeake Bridge route heading back...a little longer but a great bypass of DC traffic with plenty of SC along the way.....

2 years ago we did this on the way down as well. My travel buddy at the time wanted to take scenic routes so we took the Chesapeake Bridge route on the way south. I will say, going via DelMarVa adds about an hr and half to the travel time and 15-20 min to the charging time -- so I'm not sure it's worth it. Then again DC traffic can be hit or miss, and i'm sure it's soul-crushing if you get caught in it.

back then we drove through DC on the way north to NYC driving through the dead center of DC on s sunday afternoon. so things were rather quiet and there was no traffic.

(you can bypass Sav. airport charging which oftentimes is slow).

This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I will say that if I bypass Savannah airport I will be driving 3 hrs and 20 min without a break which is pushing it for me. EV trip planner does say that I do not need to actually charge in Savannah but I may as well plug in as I have a bit of a lead foot and you know way down in SC,GA, and FL the speed limits are more forgiving than they are in the North East. So one extra SuperCharger stop will allow me to "punch it"

Good luck on your trip....after a cold January, Feb. weather in Naples has been spectacular.

I was *just*down there for a long weekend and yes, the weather was lovely. I left the pups with the dog sitter in NYC and I also splurged on a Model S 60 rental from Turo while I was down there. But I want my pups and my own Model S with me -- especially since I'll be gone for a much longer duration than just a quick weekend trip.

Thank you again for this info.

I'm probably staying at the Belmond as I've stayed there years ago and enjoyed it. I'll have 2 doggies in tow and the fees at the Marriott "Grand Bohemian" just a block or two north of the Belmond (where there is also a Destination Charger) are a bit cheaper for 2 dogs and the room rate slightly cheaper as well but honestly they are both in the same ballpark. I may try the Grand Bohemian just to try a different hotel.

2 years ago we did this on the way down as well. My travel buddy at the time wanted to take scenic routes so we took the Chesapeake Bridge route on the way south. I will say, going via DelMarVa adds about an hr and half to the travel time and 15-20 min to the charging time -- so I'm not sure it's worth it. Then again DC traffic can be hit or miss, and i'm sure it's soul-crushing if you get caught in it.

back then we drove through DC on the way north to NYC driving through the dead center of DC on s sunday afternoon. so things were rather quiet and there was no traffic.

This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I will say that if I bypass Savannah airport I will be driving 3 hrs and 20 min without a break which is pushing it for me. EV trip planner does say that I do not need to actually charge in Savannah but I may as well plug in as I have a bit of a lead foot and you know way down in SC,GA, and FL the speed limits are more forgiving than they are in the North East. So one extra SuperCharger stop will allow me to "punch it"

I was *just*down there for a long weekend and yes, the weather was lovely. I left the pups with the dog sitter in NYC and I also splurged on a Model S 60 rental from Turo while I was down there. But I want my pups and my own Model S with me -- especially since I'll be gone for a much longer duration than just a quick weekend trip.

Thank you again for this info.

You're welcome....

I've travel back to NC quite often and have probably done the Naples-NC trip 20x.

Bar none, the best way to exit Fl is Naples-Brandon-Ocala (take 301 to I10 and bypass jax)-Kingsland and then to hotel.

One other thought--Brandon can be a challenge to get to during peak times. The last time we came down we charged more at Ocala and bypassed Brandon and charged at the new Sarasota SC.

btw: have a 15 yr old dog and always travel with him so understand your thought process.....

Last edited:
Bar none, the best way to exit Fl is Naples-Brandon-Ocala (take 301 to I10 and bypass jax)-Kingsland and then to hotel.

This is my intended route also. I will consider skipping Brandon in favor of Sarasota this time around but i'm comfortable with Brandon -- and yes on the way up I will be spending a night or two visiting Savannah, GA which I am really excited about.

I did the Maryland to Orlando round trip in January with dog and family. We did an overnight in Florence, SC on the way down and Fayetteville, NC on the way back. Pulled into the hotels with less than 10% and was able to walk to the Superchargers from the hotel and leave in the morning full. (No I didn’t park overnight at the Superchargers) That allows a good 3 hour drive to start the day with 20 to 30 minute stops a couple times to charge and take a dog break.

3 hrs to start is kind of pushing it for me endurance wise... but I agree it is the most optimal use of driving time.

Back to the original thread topic.. is Newark, DE SCer out of order?? I mean obviously there are tons of other options on the way down 95 -- but somehow I feel like this doesn't bode well for my intended journey.