Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newnan GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
82kW at 56% SOC. Dual motor Y.

Attachments

• 12C3362C-FF70-4825-B2AC-4C20E41182CB.jpeg
    12C3362C-FF70-4825-B2AC-4C20E41182CB.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 84
I should have a proper warm up of the battery as I’ll be driving wife’s Y from airport, but it will have approximately 55% SOC when I arrive at 11p tonight.
FWIW, battery pre-conditioning can take a significant amount of time (depending on ambient temps of course). The battery is a HUGE thermal mass.

On a trip up north last week, after temps in the low 30's overnight, my battery pre-conditioning came on almost immediately for a Supercharger stop that was still 90 minutes away! I'm not suggesting that the temps in Atlanta will be low 30's of course, but I certainly would not expect a massive warmup in less than 30 minutes of travel.

Plugged my 2020MSLR+ in this afternoon, only saw 60kw. Wonder if they've got it throttled?? That wasn't the V3 speed I was expecting....
What was your SoC at the time?
~56%
Yeah, that seems low. FWIW, my MY LR would have been at ~100 KW at that SoC on a typical V3 curve.

I took to heart the comments several posters made about battery temp & SoC. The next chance I had to run down the charge into the 20s (percent), I drove from the airport to the Newnan charger (with the charger set as the destination). The “preconditioning battery” message came on about five minutes before I arrived (at the end of a ~30 minute drive), so presumably my battery was fully conditioned.

I definitely saw an improvement, so, lesson learned! However, not seeing your ~100kW; and nowhere close to the following numbers:

FYI, I charged yesterday, and it was my first truly wonderful V3 experience. I arrived at 8%, hit 250 for quite some time (maybe until 20% or so?) and was still about 150 at 50% SOC. Total charge time from 8% to 68% was ~20 minutes.

Pics attached. Peak rate of 130kW @ 28% (I plugged in at 26%; it ramped up quickly to about 120kW, then slowly to the peak of 130kW, then slowly dropped down). By 56% (the same SoC I’d seen ~60kW a few days earlier), it had dropped to 86kW.

Do I have a different battery? Do I have a problem? Not sure what to make of this difference....

202F1B48-8CE0-41F0-8D9B-661C0DB2D8AA.jpeg
54611512-F525-4CF3-AD55-67CA81AB63ED.jpeg

The “preconditioning battery” message came on about five minutes before I arrived (at the end of a ~30 minute drive), so presumably my battery was fully conditioned.
No, probably not fully conditioned. It really takes quite a lot of hard driving and decent exterior temps to get the battery up to full temp. Much more than people seem to expect. The thermal mass of the large battery is just not going to be overcome so quickly. From the reports that I often see in these threads, most often it seems like this won't happen at all for the first supercharger stop of a trip unless it's already quite warm out (i.e. over 80 deg. F).

I took to heart the comments several posters made about battery temp & SoC. The next chance I had to run down the charge into the 20s (percent), I drove from the airport to the Newnan charger (with the charger set as the destination). The “preconditioning battery” message came on about five minutes before I arrived (at the end of a ~30 minute drive), so presumably my battery was fully conditioned.

I definitely saw an improvement, so, lesson learned! However, not seeing your ~100kW; and nowhere close to the following numbers:
For my charging, I was arriving from NC, and my car (Model 3 LR RWD) started pre-conditioning a lot further than 5 minutes away... I think it can depend on making sure you aren't just routing to the supercharger but routing somewhere from the supercharger, as well... (That may not be true, but that has seemed to be my experience.) For me, I was routed through to south Georgia and Newnan was just a stop on the way. For two of the stops on my trip, the car actually started pre-conditioning the battery around 90 miles away from the next charger!

Reactions: theothertom